amuck-landowner

Domain Registrars?

bluebit

Presently using Namecheap as the primary domain registrar. Service is good but I'm considering other provides since a number of them are up for renewal next month. One of the domains is used for personal email so I'd consider it particularly valuable and would like to safeguard it as best as possible.

What providers do you use? Who uses 2FA? And has decent security practices?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Internet.BS is where I've been registering more and more domains at recently. Cheapest I've found and solid.

Dylan

I used to use Internet.BS for everything but lately I've switched to using NameSilo instead. They're a bit similar, but NameSilo's better. For example: Internet.BS looks cheaper at first, but unless you have more than 2,000 domains with them they're not because their advertised price is an "as low as" which only applies to high volume customers. NameSilo's advertised prices, meanwhile, are what you see is what you get (and instead get discounted in bulk). NameSilo's also founded on a "no upselling" principle, which is a real breath of fresh air. They also have two-factor auth (Internet.BS does as well but it's a bit buggy) and some extra security features ("Domain Defender") that I haven't found anywhere else. I really couldn't be happier with them.

The only thing both NameSilo and Internet.BS both don't have is phone support, but that's one of the reasons they're so inexpensive. If you want a registrar that's not too expensive, with two-factor auth, etc., plus immediate phone support, I'd highly recommend Hover (part of Tucows). Really fantastic customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I used to use Internet.BS for everything but lately I've switched to using NameSilo instead. They're a bit similar, but NameSilo's better. For example: Internet.BS looks cheaper at first, but unless you have more than 2,000 domains with them they're not because their advertised price is an "as low as" which only applies to high volume customers. NameSilo's advertised prices, meanwhile, are what you see is what you get (and instead get discounted in bulk). NameSilo's also founded on a "no upselling" principle, which is a real breath of fresh air. They also have two-factor auth (Internet.BS does as well but it's a bit buggy) and some extra security features ("Domain Defender") that I haven't found anywhere else. I really couldn't be happier with them.

The only thing both NameSilo and Internet.BS both don't have is phone support, but that's one of the reasons they're so inexpensive. If you want a registrar that's not too expensive, with two-factor auth, etc., plus immediate phone support, I'd highly recommend Hover (part of Tucows). Really fantastic customer service.

I don't know what you mean by the advertised price.  I always receive the advertised price even on single domain registrations.  I absolutely love Internet.bs.  Could you please expand on that for me? 

tonyg

I don't have any domains with internet.bs but their pricing is ridiculously low (and tempting)...a .com for $8.49?

Wasn't there a recent fee increase from ICANN?

Most .com registrations now a days are between $13-$15.

They are either taking a loss with each sale or making pennies per domain. I don't see how this can be sustained.

dave

I've been using internet.bs for a long time now.  Renewals for .com are $9.38.

Verisign gets the bulk of it ($7.85).  And I think the ICANN fee is still $0.18.  That would make the wholesale cost $8.03 for a profit of $1.35.  I think there are various annual fees they pay, too, though, and of course the cost to run the business.

datarealm

Verified Provider
We've been migrating over an extended period of time to NetEarthOne.  Reasonable pricing and hands down the best support of any registrar we've worked with.

nunim

VPS Junkie
I've been migrating all of my domains from NameCheap to NameSilo, I feel that their pricing is much better and I like to stay away from a reseller whenever possible, especially an Enom reseller.  

matt[scrdspd]

SecuredSpeed
Verified Provider
I have been using NameCheap and NameSilo a lot lately. I am quite happy with NameSilo and would recommend it if you are looking to try someone else.

hellogoodbye

Another vote for NameSilo here. Their prices are low, they do not charge exorbitant renewal fees, and I also appreciate their free WHOIS privacy and various security measures.

Internet.bs' screw up with one of my .eu domains completely made me bail on them. I haven't experienced any issues with Namecheap and they always sort me out if I have extremely basic questions. 

Dylan

I don't know what you mean by the advertised price.  I always receive the advertised price even on single domain registrations.  I absolutely love Internet.bs.  Could you please expand on that for me? 
I would be willing to bet you don't. On the front page of Internet.bs (emphasis mine):

Domain registration prices as low as... USD / year
.com $8.49

Awesome, right? Well, no -- they say "as low as" for a reason. Click on the price and you get a table where you see that there are three pricing levels, and a one-year "Basic" registration -- that is, for someone who has under 2,000 domains with Internet.bs and isn't paying by wire transfer -- is actually $8.99.

Look farther down the page, and you'll see that "Basic" renewals are $9.38.

Contrast that with NameSilo's front page, where it says a .com is $8.99 per year. Click through to their pricing page, and indeed, a plain one-year registration is $8.99 -- with  with discounts for volume, rather than an increasing price for not-volume.

And renewals are the exact same price as a registration.

So for a .com, for the vast majority of customers, NameSilo is the same price as Internet.bs for registration and cheaper for renewals.

For a .net: Internet.bs Basic is $8.79 for reg and renewal, while NameSilo is $8.69. So NameSilo is outright (slightly) cheaper.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I would be willing to bet you don't. On the front page of Internet.bs (emphasis mine):

Domain registration prices as low as... USD / year
.com $8.49

Awesome, right? Well, no -- they say "as low as" for a reason. Click on the price and you get a table where you see that there are three pricing levels, and a one-year "Basic" registration -- that is, for someone who has under 2,000 domains with Internet.bs and isn't paying by wire transfer -- is actually $8.99.

Look farther down the page, and you'll see that "Basic" renewals are $9.38.
Oh that.

Yeah that never bothered me nor did I consider that unethical because it's so common in any consumer-based industry.  

switsys

Get a reseller account with internet.bs by wiring them money, you can't get it cheaper and with better support ANYWHERE.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Man you should use godaddy i've all my domains there and i've never had problem with them
Even at 99 cents, if you want whois privacy, GoDaddy is more expensive than Internet.BS (where whois privacy is free).

I had really good support from Internet.BS the one time I needed it. I use them exclusively.

amuck-landowner