amuck-landowner

Facts I've Learned About Trying to Quit Smoking

Nyr

Haven't ever smoked but did go trough a different drug withdrawal (GHB) some months ago.

Anxiety was so severe that it was waking me up at night. I did eat a lot of shitty food too.

Advice for quitting? Just don't do it again. Have in mind that you are going trough that shit because of the substance and ask yourself if you are so stupid to let it become worse. Go out with some friends if you can, keep working on a project or something, play a videogame, whatever works for you.

Thankfully my withdrawal lasted only two weeks and I have nearly zero risk of returning now, I guess nicotine is worse for that.

Good luck.

graeme

Ben Goldacre's book Bad Science is an excellent debunking of homeopathy and alternative medicine in general.

It is also worth realising that the principles of homeopathy are just a slight variation of the commonest type of witchcraft, sympathetic magic.

mikeyur

Verified Provider
I 'quit' just about 2 years ago (coming up in a month). I put quit in quotes because I went the e-cigarette route, so really just traded one habit for another. Although I do feel a lot better with the vaping than smoking cigarettes, breathing/sense of smell & taste are better and I don't slip into insanity if I go long periods without my 'fix' (long haul flights were a nightmare, I think every smoker can relate on that one).

The first 3 days after were pretty miserable, even with an e-cigarette or some other nic fix, after that it became a lot easier. For the first 2-3 weeks you still have an itch to go buy a pack (mostly out of habit in my case, was part of my routine) and the ability to say no goes away after a few drinks, especially if you're around friends who smoke - so try to avoid the 'peer pressure' aspect.

I've had friends who have had success with going 100% cold turkey, some switched to e-cigarettes and slowly cut back over time until they were 100% nic-free, and others (like me) stuck with vaping.

Personally, it works for me. I understand it's riskier than going cold turkey, but it's a personal decision. Everyone gets something different out of smoking, I don't drink much coffee but I vape first thing in the morning so I think nicotine is just my preferred stimulant, where others are fine with caffeine.

If one option doesn't work just try another, don't go "well that didn't work, back to the same old thing I was doing". Cold turkey, patches, gum, e-cigarettes - lots of avenues out there to get off cigarettes.

Shoaib_A

Luckily, there's peer reviewed, properly conducted science that proves otherwise.

Ben Goldacre's book Bad Science is an excellent debunking of homeopathy and alternative medicine in general.

It is also worth realising that the principles of homeopathy are just a slight variation of the commonest type of witchcraft, sympathetic magic.

Well, to each his own.

earl

10 smoke free days!! it's been pretty rough.. but can't believe how much better I feel in such a short time. 

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
4 and a half months without a cig, I don't feel the need to smoke as much as right after quitting, but it is still a constant battle nonetheless... especially when going out with friends that smoke.

What I've learnt from quitting smoking?

a) it does suck

b) it's very cost effective, since I used to spend almost as much on cigs as I spend on renting a nice apartment (2+ packs per day was my quota)

c) stopped coughing so much like I used to, I still do from time to time, just not as much and as badly as when I used to smoke

d) it's a constant uphill battle, it only takes one moment of weakness to piss away months/years of struggling (last time I quite I restarted after 7 months), which is why it's very important to always be in control, mind over body

I honestly wish everyone trying to quit the best of luck in achieving this goal.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Electronic Cigarettes are very helpful in getting rid of smoking habit. I have couple of my friends who have already done it lately.

Unsure if e-cigs are any better big picture.   I mean as a non smoker it's better as I don't smell the filth on folks...  But health wise, it's likely a different ingestion part / method and the fluids aren't the same as dried tobacco.

I know a bunch of folks that went from smokers to e-cig addicts.  I don't see them shaking the e-cig habit any time soon and appear to be consuming a good bit of such.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Not a fan of e-cigs and vaping in general. People think that just because they quit smoking physical tobacco that they're better off. I mean, I'm sure it's good to not smell like rancid smoke anymore and to not be breathing in the harsh carcignens associated with any burning plant material but you're still addicted nicotine even with the e-cigs and vape pens.

Also I can't stand how popular vaping is. I've seen people vaping in non-smoking airports, grocery stores and restaurants. It looks ridiculous. "Nah bro it's not a cigarette! I can do this here!" I still think you should vape outside if you're going to try to imitate a smoke stack.

amuck-landowner