amuck-landowner

Goodbye Lavabit

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Automatically encrypt all incoming emails with OpenPGP. And to avoid tampering, host it on your own computer. (And reinstall every two weeks... just kidding... maybe :)
Or more practically, run something like Alpine Linux from read-only media and reboot every two weeks. Goodbye, rootkits!

wlanboy

Content Contributer
The only way to stop this is to actively resist FISA orders.  That is a dangerous proposition, with the possibility that you will die, as you are challenging the world's largest intelligence apparatus.  For many people, that is too risky of a position to take.
I noticed that in many countries. They are laws to protect privacy but they don't count because of fear. Whenever the force of the executive is greater than the custody of the judiciary somethings goes terribly wrong.

They should never mix but are always mixed to gain more power. History tells us a lot of how this will end.

In regards to email, the entire hassle of reverse DNS, non moving server target, etc. poses a clear privacy and monitoring issue, so giving a server mobility, ability to change IP, etc. is a mass improvement --- but of course we are comparing email to something entirely different.

Well, to reduce sniffing by the feds you must:

1. Deal only in highly encrypted data - real crypto and crypto within crypto --- different layers and types of crypto on same message

2. Be able to tunnel the data in and out through many proxies as to confuses/hide origin and destination

3. None of the routing, sender or end data should be plaintext

4. SSL-only methods of encrypting are woefully inadequate and likely already keyed into by the feds.

That's a start to the conversation.
To 1: Yup. But cryptography only works if the secret is on a different place as the information itself. Mixing cryptos does not gain much security. There are good ways to check what crypto algo is used.

Just thought about this again.

You are right - use GnuPG for encryption of the emails and e.g. ecryptfs for the encryption of your GnuPG keys.

To 2: Won't help much. They do have to many observation points.

To 3: Right. All communication of the mail server itself should be at least using TSL.

To 4: If you use self signed certificates you can choose key length and key algo at your choice. But how to secure the access to the ssl cert on a shared environment?

It looks like it is just a shift of the problem. "It is secure if you are using X". But you have to check if "X" is secure too.

If someone has full server access regardless of platform, there is always total packet dumps as well as reading the raw disk files.

It is in part why shared environments are unsecured unknowns.

Securing such an environment for virtualized customer, well, can it actually be done?  Would require full cryptoed packet traffic and crptoed disk.  The disk part is a puzzle I've never figured out since the OS would need to have credentials to read and write and that would require full access to the volume.
Yup. Crypto disks are fine on KVM - but you have to connect to an not encrypted VNC to enter your password on boot.

Everything else can be done via OpenVPN.

But like SSL - the OpenVPN connection is only secure if no one does have access to your keys...

Someone should write-up some good tutorials... Just sayin'.

Been wanting to set up my own mail stuff for a long while, more as a learning project than for privacy reasons, but it can be both now.
Allready in the works.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Lavabit just had a big piece on Foxnews radio about the closure.  Going to get big traction with this I suspect.

JDiggity

Hey guys,

Well people state security through obscurity is not security, but is probably the most safe. 

Isn't the definition of cryptography using an obsure number and letter convention the whole basis of cryptography?

Correct me if I am wrong.  Just wanted to get your guys thoughts.  Sad to see a service like this go.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Lavabit just had a big piece on Foxnews radio about the closure.  Going to get big traction with this I suspect.
I'm pretty happy about the speed that it's picking up recognition. We need people right now willing to charge into the streets and get shot down for everyone to see. Metaphor, obviously, but I think you get what I mean. We need the equivalent of martyrs here and lavabit gave us one. That was their true gift to their clients in closing down yesterday. This is how we can see change impacted, by making public spectacle of the problem, over and over.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Oh boy, Lord Oblama to the rescue:

"President to announce measures to restore public trust in government surveillance, source says."  

3PM conference / pep speech probably in some high school gymnasium in middle America.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Wait, it's all a smokescreen before he is whisked away on a luxurious vacation with millions of our dollars and a small army in tow.

jarland

The ocean is digital

"President to announce measures to restore public trust in government surveillance, source says."  

3PM conference / pep speech probably in some high school gymnasium in middle America.
The most transparent administration ever.

...only because they're too stupid to keep a lid on all the massive secrets they're trying to hold.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Transparent or translucent?

How in the world is the big goof going to sell the public on trusting the government smelling their dirty underwear, lurking in their fridge and watching them watch television?

Oh I know how, claim every person blamed for potentially being a bad guy and every made up scenario was gleaned from data illegally tapped, stolen and traced by their "intelligence" monitoring.  To say, they show the "results" of their efforts.

Shameless this government is.

Transparency? How about they declare how long and how much monitoring has been going on?  Never, ever.

mitgib

Verified Provider

I think this may have more to do with it

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-tech-executives-met-discuss-120021148.html

I am betting big money is telling these govt clowns to back down or see the flow of campaign contributions slow to a trickle

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Good point/find @mitgib!

This is a funny from the link you posted:

"The meeting was part of the ongoing dialogue the president has called for on how to respect privacy while protecting national security in a digital era," a White House official said in confirming a report by Politico, which broke the news of the meeting.

The closed-door session was not included on Obama's daily public schedule for Thursday. It followed another private session on Tuesday of Obama administration officials, industry lobbyists and privacy advocates.

---- respect privacy ... while protecting national security.....  closed-door session.... not... on Obama's daily public schedule.... followed another private session on Tuesday.... lobbyists.

jarland

The ocean is digital
I liked hot air's take on the related press event today.

the guy whose leaks created this political shinolastorm over surveillance is, according to O, assuredly not a patriot, even though no one but no one thinks Obama would have pushed these reforms if not for Snowden’s revelations. Help me square that circle. It’s not a hopeless contradiction; you can believe that Snowden’s initial leaks about PRISM and domestic data-gathering were legit whistleblowing while also believing that he’s since veered into Wikileaks-style antagonism towards the U.S. government with no obvious benefits to civil liberties. But it’s surreal to see The One essentially stipulate that Snowden’s critique of NSA procedures is valid, enough so that a presidential press conference is necessary to introduce reforms responding to his concerns, and then dismiss the guy as a fake patriot because he didn’t stay put and invoke statutory whistleblower protection in the blind hope that the feds wouldn’t give him the full Bradley Manning treatment.  Read Lavabit’s shutdown message yesterday about a “fight for the Constitution” if you haven’t already. Would that sort of catalyzing, awareness-raising gambit have happened without Snowden? If Obama cared about the expansions of the surveillance state on the merits rather than as a political fire he has to put out, he would have held this presser in 2009.
How independent can the new “independent voice” at the FISA Court be if it’s not allowed to communicate with the targets of surveillance for national security reasons? Are the feds going to build their own ACLU/public defender bureau to secretly represent people suspected of terror links, unbeknownst to them?
Just more useless talk. Thought this guy's commentary was priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Edward Snowden:

'Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple, and the rest of our internet titans must ask themselves why they aren't fighting for our interests the same way'

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
US based data providers wonder why sales are so off and people are tweaked by the NSA spying on citizens?

Here's one account of the collateral damage potential:

A report issued this week by the Technology and Innovation Foundation estimated that the US cloud computing industry, by itself, could lose between $21 billion to $35 billion due to reporting about the industry's ties to the NSA.
All I can say is GOOD.  I hope assholes collaborating with the federal government and doing so slyly lose their business, family, home, fortune.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Well, they met with the president. Now we can speculate that they aren't interested in our privacy but more interested in their PR, but truthfully we just don't know what is being said behind those doors. I'd like to assume the best of them for the moment. Threats from an administration that has reshaped entire sectors of the economy by bearing down on congress so hard that they couldn't breathe is not something that I would ignore in today's times. They may be victims all the same. Then again, they may be the key players in the whole thing.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I think this all just more of the same, destroying small businesses.  Putting more people on the employment/poverty roles.

Certainly, if you were to say to the spooks to screw off or publicly say what they wanted, they'd disappear/charge you for exercising speech, shutter your company, etc.  Same end outcome = poverty.

Welcome to the no-e-con-o-me.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Lavabit founder has stopped using email: "If you knew what I know, you might not use it either"

Earlier this week, Xeni reported on the shutdown of Lavabit, the email provider used by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. Ladar Levison, Lavabit's founder, has given an interview to Forbes about his reasoning for the shutdown, which comes -- apparently -- as a result of a secret NSA search-warrant complete with a gag order.

After discussing the general absurdity and creepiness of not being allowed to freely criticize the government for the order they brought to his company, he concludes by saying that he's stopped using email altogether, and "If you knew what I know about email, you might not use it either."

“This is about protecting all of our users, not just one in particular. It’s not my place to decide whether an investigation is just, but the government has the legal authority to force you to do things you’re uncomfortable with,” said Levison in a phone call on Friday. “The fact that I can’t talk about this is as big a problem as what they asked me to do.”

Levison’s lawyer, Jesse Binnall, who is based in Northern Virginia — the court district where Levison needed representation — added that it’s “ridiculous” that Levison has to so carefully parse what he says about the government inquiry. “In America, we’re not supposed to have to worry about watching our words like this when we’re talking to the press,” Binnall said.

http://boingboing.net/2013/08/10/lavabit-founder-has-stopped-us.html

amuck-landowner