amuck-landowner

GTT Merging nLayer into Tinet ASN

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
Dear Valued Clients,

As you may be aware, GTT has completed the acquisition of several prominent Network Service Providers over the past few years, including nLayer Communications (AS4436) on May 1, 2012, and the Tinet Global Data Network (AS3257) of Inteliquent on April 30, 2013. Since then, we’ve been working to prepare for the eventual integration of these, and our other acquired networks, into a single consolidated backbone, capable of providing unmatched speed, simplicity, and agility for our clients.

Today, we are pleased to announce that we’re ready to begin the next stage of our efforts, by scheduling the migration of client services towards this single consolidated backbone network. As we move forward, we have elected to retain the Autonomous System Number of 3257 for our combined global network, and to migrate our clients towards our all Juniper MX-based infrastructure, built using the best-of-breed routing technologies from all of our network acquisitions. GTT’s AS3257 is well established as a global Tier 1 network and the fourth largest IP network in the world. We will continue to build on this foundation as we work to integrate the best elements from each network acquisition.

Shortly, you’ll receive a scheduled maintenance notification announcing the specifics of these migration efforts and how your services will be affected. These notices will be sent in advance of any planned activity, and the work will be implemented in a staggered approach minimizing any potential disruption for you. In some cases, clients will need to update their router configurations to support the new network, but we will make every effort to keep these required changes to a minimum. We’ll also take extra caution with our multi-homed and multi-location clients, for whom these types of moves can be a more complicated endeavor.

We’re very excited to be moving forward with this next stage in our evolution. We look forward to offering our clients a more robust and reliable network as a result. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your GTT Account Executive. Their name and contact information can be found on our Client Portal at www.gtt.net or on your Service Order Form.

Thank you for your continued support as we work towards building the best IP network in the world.

Sincerely,

Richard A Steenbergen

Chief Technology Officer

GTT Communications, Inc.

Founder, nLayer Communications Inc.
Confirmed by my rep that the two networks will be merged into one (Tinet/AS3257), despite previous assurances to the contrary. Hopefully they can work something out for those of us with lines from both ASNs.

Last edited by a moderator:

shovenose

Verified Provider
Confirmed by my rep that the two networks will be merged into one (Tinet/AS3257), despite previous assurances to the contrary. Hopefully they can work something out for those of us with lines from both ASNs.
Double the bandwidth, perhaps?

GIANT_CRAB

What purchase? You looking at buying a RamNode VPS? Don't let this stop you - they'll have amazing service no matter what!
lol

If you look at Cloudshards offer posts, they have 2 transits that are "pending".

concerto49

Verified Provider
I thought it made more sense that @concerto49 was talking about transit, but Cloud Shards doesn't have their own ASN. How does that work?
We do have our own AS62638, http://bgp.he.net/AS62638 is a bit messed up due to new IPs being announced and the different speeds of carriers, but it's definitely ours.

Cloud Shards, Flip Host and GetDedi all use this in Dallas.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
We do have our own AS62638, http://bgp.he.net/AS62638 is a bit messed up due to new IPs being announced and the different speeds of carriers, but it's definitely ours.

Cloud Shards, Flip Host and GetDedi all use this in Dallas.
Ahh, I see, I didn't realize Query Foundry was yours. Or, to be more exact, I forgot. Now that I look at it, I see that the IP with my VPS with y'all is in the Query Foundry ASN. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing some Tinet in there.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Ahh, I see, I didn't realize Query Foundry was yours. Or, to be more exact, I forgot. Now that I look at it, I see that the IP with my VPS with y'all is in the Query Foundry ASN. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing some Tinet in there.
At least you know or remember now :)

We're also in talks to Tata, but man they said up to 6 weeks to turn up a circuit and then other paperwork and overhead. Guess we won't see anything soon. TiNET might be a quick one. They said 2 weeks.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Honestly, I would stay away from GTT.

To that end, I can thank zeekill for attacking robert, as it gave them a reason to let us out of our contract.  While I personally like RAS, I can't say I am too keen on the way GTT does things.  nLayer used to be really good, but after GTT bought them, the quality really slid in Dallas.

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
At least you know or remember now :)

We're also in talks to Tata, but man they said up to 6 weeks to turn up a circuit and then other paperwork and overhead. Guess we won't see anything soon. TiNET might be a quick one. They said 2 weeks.
NTT is quick

amuck-landowner