amuck-landowner

Hetzner releases new VPS line

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Update: I got the storage box (BX-100, 100GB).  It's most usable by sftp and scp, and you can mount it as sshfs though I've always heard sshfs has reliability problems (it works through sftp under the covers, I think). 

I sftp'd a 1gb file to it from my Hetzner dedi and got 50MB/s transfer, pretty good.  It supports up to 10 concurrent connections.  You can change the BX size on the fly using the Hetzner robo console.  I don't know how that is reflected in billing.  They don't tell you which data center the server in, but I might open a ticket inquiring.  It would be nice to have multiple BX's in separate DC's to have some spatial redundancy. 

Overall this is not the cheapest storage out there, even at the 2+ TB level, and it's limited in flexibility (scp/sftp only, no rsync, no S3, etc).  But I still think it's a good product, at least for users already hosting servers at Hetzner.  It's fast, traffic over the Hetzner network is free, and (maybe this is wishful thinking) I feel a bit less worried (in terms of sudden deadpool etc.) about storing the data at Hetzner than at some of the lesser-known VPS companies.

The StorageBox line just became more attractive with the addition of free snapshots:

Starting now, you also have the ability to take snapshots of your Storage Box data. With these snapshots, you can then restore your system to previous states. Storage Box BX60, for example, allows you to have as many as 12 snapshots.

Nerdie

Verified Provider
T7700 CPU for VPS nodes?!?!?!?!  Say it's not true.   Ancient CPU and just a dual core.  Unsure why anyone would....

SSD + E5 is a nice combo.   No need to go there really, especially if buying gear instead of leasing / renting.  

/64 with public WHOIS is blah.   Unsure why guys needs all those IPv6 addresses other than for foolish bad behavior.  Enlighten little old me who has long survived with a single IP and often without any static IP.

I agree

willie

DomainBop, yeah, I saw the announcement about BX snapshots but haven't been able to figure out what it means.  Surely they don't let you make N separate copies of your whole BX with different data in each one.  It has to count against your storage limit somehow, but I couldn't find any documentation anywhere. 

I tried mounting my BX10 with sshfs and it worked ok but transfer speed was about 1/2 that of using scp.  Slightly annoying but for my expected uses it won't be a real problem.  Hetzner tells me you can dynamically change the size of your BX and billing is based on actual usage ("usage"=size of the container you reserved), but if you cancel, the cancellation doesn't happen til the end of the billing period.  I think that means if you want to cancel a 10TB container in the middle of the month, you can shrink it to 100GB and pay just a couple bucks for the remainder of the month, almost as good as instant cancellation.

I cancelled my BX10 (effective tomorrow) after trying it out and seeing that it works, but will probably get another BX at some point when I need it.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Overall this is not the cheapest storage out there, even at the 2+ TB level, and it's limited in flexibility (scp/sftp only, no rsync, no S3, etc).

using rsync with Hetzner's storageboxes and their backup space: https://www.blunix.org/howto-use-hetzner-backup-space-with-rsync/

I saw the announcement about BX snapshots but haven't been able to figure out what it means.  Surely they don't let you make N separate copies of your whole BX with different data in each one.  It has to count against your storage limit somehow

The space used for snapshots counts against the total account quota.  Robot now lists the space used by data and the space used by snapshots.

amuck-landowner