amuck-landowner

Ive been lost trying to get VPS running

djskyz

Hey all I have a game and website that is being hosted, i got the domain and VPS on namecheap but i am now regretting things and doubting everything.

The game i have has a few components.
-The game client which currently connects to http://localhost/gamedata
-a mysql database in localhost
-the game files (stated that were installed in localhost/gamedata)
- and the server file which is a .exe that simply needs to just be open
(server.exe has settings for mysql connection, server and port numbers

I setup a CENTOS vps on namecheap and once ive gotten to the server file im trying to run i realized it is a .exe and it will not run on the vps i got....
I feel like i have made a lot of mistakes a long the way, and kind of been dealing with support for over a week still without a straight answer of "What do i need and what do i need to do to make this possible"

Ive looked into Windows Servers on OVH for this but im not really sure....

What would be your recommendation for starting a VPS for my game that requires and what steps would you take?
Id really appreciate some help getting my game online thanks

Also like where do these files and settings then go / get changed to once ive acquired a vps to make it from a local game to a public game

JonathanKW

Administrator
Administrator
Hey DJ, completely missed this post.

If you have .exe files, you need a Windows server.

My recommendation is to see if the game you're trying to run has linux executables so that you can run it in an SSH environment under Linux.

What game are you trying to run?

It's potentially worth keeping the website and game-server separate, if possible. Get some sort of reliable shared hosting for your website and then if you absolutely need a Windows VPS, you'll want to find a reputable vendor.

OVH has been somewhat solid but Windows licenses can get expensive.

>>Also like where do these files and settings then go / get changed to once ive acquired a vps to make it from a local game to a public game

This depends on the server and operating system you're using.

See if you can answer some of these questions and we can go from there.

Last edited:
amuck-landowner