amuck-landowner

MannDude travels backwards in time.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well, not really (duh). But I've been in the process of moving for a couple months now and found an internet service provider to service the new place. For a cool low price of $35/mo, I will be the recipient of 1Mbps down internet service via DSL.

Yes, it's a dream come true. That is if you were dreaming this in 1999.

So, unless I want capped satellite internet that is less reliable this is my only current option.

What can a Mann do to survive on 1Mbps? Any tips, tricks or advice to conserve data? I already use Ghostery and uBlock to remove elements that I don't want/need from loading, so that may help a bit. Any thing else I can do that is 'better' at data conservation? Would be using a Raspberry Pi for a 'PiHole' be better than blocking elements via a browser plugin?

In all reality I don't think it'll be too bad. My internet use is mainly browsing forums / reddit and very light social media. I cancelled Netflix months ago but I do still sometimes connect to Plex for media and of course I need YouTube to teach me how to do things I don't know how to do...

I'll live, right?

Jonathan

Woohoo
Verified Provider
w00t! Less competition on Plex!

Hah, in all reality it's not that bad. Even if you game, you'll be fine so long as you have decent latency.

AMDbuilder

Verified Provider
I suspect you will get better mileage out of the pihole, as it provides network-wide protection instead of supported devices. It's also blocking at the DNS level, so the resources aren't being downloaded in the first place. That being said I haven't used Ghostery or uBlock, so I can't comment on how they are blocking ads.

I'm using a pi zero (first gen) to run pihole, and the management interface does run nicely since the 3.0 update.

amuck-landowner