Microsoft Buying Nokia for $7.2 Billion

Discussion in 'The Pub (Off topic discussion)' started by drmike, Sep 3, 2013.

1. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
    Microsoft is trying to become more relevant in the mobile handset world by purchasing Finland's Nokia.

$7.2 billion price tag on the deal.

Nokia is the second largest cellular handset producer.

Good or bad for Microsoft?

2. Jack

Jack Active Member

May 15, 2013
    Good for Microsoft bad for the users of Nokia... 

3. peterw

peterw New Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Nokia did keep most of their patents and Microsoft does now have something like Google has with Motorola.

Good for Microsost to have access (at least for 10 years) to every important patent to build mobile phones and tablets.

Hope they build up a mobile brand in the same way they build up the Xbox brand.

4. concerto49

concerto49 New Member Verified Provider

May 5, 2013
    It's a whole conspiracy in the planning.

Here's the story:

Microsoft needing a hardware / handset making to take on Google (Motorola) and Apple. Nokia was the prime target. Microsoft splashed out cash to lure Nokia. Microsoft also purposely killed their own market to make Nokia suffer. This opened up the door for the acquisition. The final key was Ballmer. Ballmer had to retire for this to get through. Notice retirement announcement and the Nokia purchase happening 1 after the other.

Basically Windows phone doesn't suck that much. It was just a master plan to get Nokia. 

drmike likes this.
  5. SeriesN

SeriesN New Member Verified Provider

Mar 29, 2013
    Called that months ago. Nokia been suffering since the rise of smart phones.

6. johnlth93

johnlth93 New Member

May 26, 2013
    I would say good for Microsoft, they are expanding even more. But i don't use Windows on mobile, i only use Windows for my workstation.

7. Cloudrck

Cloudrck Member Verified Provider

Jun 18, 2013
    They can buy all the mobile communication companies they want, their OS still sucks (namely mobile OS). They also did a bad job advertising (explaining) Windows RT or whatever they want to call it. If it wasn't for AutoCAD and video games I would ditch Windows all together.

This is a good start in my opinion, but doesn't mean anything if they don't go about this the correct way.

8. acd

acd New Member

May 16, 2013
    So my dreams for a new generation maemo/meego phone are now dashed? F*#&all

9. Cloudrck

Cloudrck Member Verified Provider

Jun 18, 2013
    I was/is more interested in the Meego In-Vehicle stuff. I've been working with the Ubuntu mobile OS on that side.

10. DearLeaderJohn

DearLeaderJohn New Member

May 17, 2013
    Hey look I'm a technology minority here but I've got a Nokia Lumia 710 running WP7.8 and guess what? I love it. I can throw my phone on the sofa, fall asleep on it, drop it in a car park and generally give it a tough time and it won't crack or get damaged like these "fancy" ultra-uber phones. I can press the lock button and know I'll get the performance I got the same day I bought it and I can get to everything I ever need with a single swipe. I treat my phone as an accessory to daily life, not as some sort of goddess like I see people treating theirs.

I'll admit the marketplace isn't great but it's definitely improving; if we don't give anything different a chance then nothing new will ever get to grow into something great. Most of the naysayers have probably never spent more than a few minutes with a Windows Phone but if you give it a chance you realize how intuitive the "alien" interface is and how surprisingly efficient the OS is.

11. MikeIn

MikeIn New Member

May 15, 2013
    I didnt like the transaction/ Deal a lot.

Sold the Handset Department for too low cost.

12. heiska

heiska New Member

May 16, 2013
    http://jolla.com/your-jolla/'>Jolla runs Sailfish, which is based on Maemo/Meego. It is also Android app compatible.  B)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013