amuck-landowner

New Guy looking for ideas...

category5

Good afternoon/morning/evening everyone.

I'm fairly new to the VPS industry, and I've bene playing with Linux in my spare time for the last year or so. I'm still quite the n00b but I love the CLI and I love the idea of running my own server. I'd like to get off of Google's coattails, and run email, my own web server, and other services myself. That's about as far as my original ideas have taken me. I thought about setting up my own VPN- but I still have another 10 months with my current provider so thats not on the list as of yet. 

So I thought I'd pick your collective brains and see what you all are using your personal VPSs for, to get an idea on the things I can do and maybe find some inspiration. 

Thank you all for your time reading this, and even more appreciation for those who respond.  :D

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Instead of VPN I like sshuttle.

Nginx often for web serving.

PHP of course.

Mumble for a voice server.

DNSMasq for my own DNS caching layer and ad/spy blocking.

Streamripper for recording audio programming from streaming stations.

Podget for downloading podcasts.

FUSE enabled on the VPS + SSHFS to create a mapable directory to my computer.

category5

This community amazes me. I posted this and got itchy (fully not expecting ANY replies) and boom- more stuff than ever occurred to me. Thank you @bcarlsonmedia & @buffalooed.

Keep the ideas coming. My wife is expecting and that means I've got a lot of "free" time on my hands to play with this thing. I'm off to research the stuff posted.  :p

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Expecting wife = no free time.   Get ready to run around for supplies constantly, the non stop crying of the child and months of being tired and moody.  You aren't about to embark on a time span of high productivity, minus the next few days maybe.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Haha well basically those LET threads hit the nail on the head.

Just having a copy here though, this is my personal list of things I use mine for.

2x Monitor other VPSes

1x Private CSGO Gameserver

1x Private Minecraft Gameserver (I haven't really played these games in a while)

2x Web Servers for private use (e.g. internal project management, etc.)

3x VPN Servers

2x IRC Bouncer (ZNC)

3x Backup VPSes/Servers

1x Utility Dedicated Server (By Utility I mean does the small menial things that take up a decent amount of CPU such as compiling and such)

1x Mumble Server

1x Public Status Page (about to be changed and moved around though)

?x Other Shenanigans I don't remember at the moment

Total Specs:

5 Dedicated Servers 

10 VPSes

More than likely I might have forgotten a few here and there too though.  

category5

Expecting wife = no free time.   Get ready to run around for supplies constantly, the non stop crying of the child and months of being tired and moody.  You aren't about to embark on a time span of high productivity, minus the next few days maybe.
Oh I remember my first child- you're right about running around like mad, but I found my thumbs were always free to be typing and tooling around with my home PCs, so I just thought it might be time to get more remote and play with my own servers whenever I found a chance for my thumbs to do some typing on my tablet. Get my Linux GodMode on (yes I know my latest spawn will probably be 18 by the time I attain that- but its a good goal)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Dang Pie, you Catalyst folks have server addiction issues :)  That's quite an array of servers.

@category5,  welcome to the site BTW.

Kids and you learning aren't a great mix.  Definitely won't stick in your brain matter as constant disruptions and lack of sleep.

Linux God Mode comes after the kiddos become self sufficient to some extent and allow you to your quiet time.

After spawning my own offsprings, I can tell you why for eons men worked in the fields and went off on expeditions while the women tended to the children :)

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Keep the ideas coming. My wife is expecting and that means I've got a lot of "free" time on my hands to play with this thing.
As a father I can tell you that you won't have any free time for the first year. And if you have a little piece of free time you will use it for eating or sleeping.There is one big switch in your brain that makes click and all your priorities change. You will realize that if your child is looking at you the first time. After 2 hours of sleep (beeing awake the last 18 hours) you will feel hungry and exhausted but your first priority is to double check the heat of the milk at 3p.m.

And after the first year you have to spend a lot more time with your child. This is a hit or miss thing. You cannot roll back time.

Being at least as good as my own father is a fulltime job. But definitely woth it.

amuck-landowner