amuck-landowner

Pimp up dem logs: “PimpMyLog”

k0nsl

Bad Goy
As the title says - pimp your logs with “PimpMyLog” [1], a log viewer written in PHP by Herr. Potsky!

The description is simple and to the point:

Log viewer for your web server
I assume the majority of us in this community just loves to look through our logs, yes? At least that's something I'm almost obsessed about doing very, very often 15.gif

This is what the current version (1.5.2) looks like when it has been deployed:

k0nsl-PimpMyLog01.png

I blurred out a few items which I wanted to have private. So that's how it looks. Very pimp'd, indeed and it's overall very nice, is it not? It works great too!  :) 

I do beg my pard  all in accordance — if the screenie is too big for some people. If it is, I can fix that. I'm also sorry for the 'minimal post' + any mistakes on my part. The excuse is the same old; I am very tired and I reckon that if somebody finds this useful, he'll look into the specifics himself. That's my POV anyway,

Now I must charge myself with three hours of much-needed sleep before the ordinary routine resumes (in Sweden we call it "ekorrhjul" (or the spiral which goes round and round  (spiralen går runt) - the English translation for that is not very descriptive so I left it out altogether and reformulated the paragraog).

Over & out!

Best wishes,

-k0nsl

Refs.

1. Official site: http://pimpmylog.com/ [written in PHP and even has compatibility down to ancient PHP 5.2] |  PimpMyLog on https://github.com/potsky/PimpMyLogGitHub

[EDIT]

In some places the lovely 'Times New Roman'-font hadn't been applied. Fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

k0nsl

Bad Goy
I suppose that is true, but it would be dependant on a few factors that is out of the scope of this topic, I figure. A few sites I host they're not logging a thing, but my personal blog? Neh, that one can log all it wants. In the end, when it grows too big, I end up shredding it periodically anyway.

And no, you're not paranoid. That is reasonable; again I think it boils down to what we're logging. A personal blog, a web page for a project, or whatever else that has no 'sensitive information', or 'controversial' content, or anything else which could put somebody's integrity and freedom at risk.

I use PimpMyLog only for personal projects and I'm not using it to view the logs of people whom I host.

Right, time for that nap  :)

Best wishes,

-k0nsl

Ideally you should not have logs at all, but maybe i am just paranoid.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
It would be more useful if it could grab logs from servers instead of having this hosted on each server.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Looks nice.  Will give it a spin soon. Thanks @konsl.

As far as logs go, necessary to some extent.   I am trying to be more diligent about centralizing them offsite on schedule and there for sanity/audit when I need them.  Fix bugs, determine malicious attempts, etc.

Very much are double sided sword that is beneficial and can damn harmful.

Hxxx

I'm searching something like this but for the system logs. Only one found that might fit is loganalyzer.adiscon.com. If anyone knows any script like what the OP posted but for system logs, please do share. 

tonyg

Viewing or scanning logs (even with a "pimped" layout) is not something that is sure to last in one's routine.

Parsing the logs and checking for out of the ordinary things is the only way.

I swear by logcheck. It has not failed me yet.

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Yes, for that I use Graylog2 - a solid solution.

Best wishes,

-k0nsl

Viewing or scanning logs (even with a "pimped" layout) is not something that is sure to last in one's routine.

Parsing the logs and checking for out of the ordinary things is the only way.

I swear by logcheck. It has not failed me yet.

amuck-landowner