amuck-landowner

Requesting photo ID via email OK?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I'm a paranoid one as well, though my main concern is how the data is stored after I submit it. Do they keep it on file indefinitely? Do they remove it after verification? Is some random employee who works remotely storing it on his laptop that later got stolen from a Starbucks?

I don't mind sharing the information when needed, but I'd rather it not be stored for any period of time longer than what it takes to verify it.
A fair concern, and one I'm going to take the chance to answer for us.  To clarify, any type of ID, documentation, and so forth sent to me is deleted immediately after it gets verified, without exception.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
First SS# isn't a form of identification and was never intended to be.

Second, a random company requiring such personal information?  Err, wrong, move on, next company.

It's risk assessment on both sides... If the risk is too high, then I'll buy elsewhere. 

Photo IDs and such laying around in storage, via email, etc.  YIKES!

kcaj

I don't mind the registrar having the ID (hence the request for a secure upload), but yeah...I'm not keen on a third party, man-in-the-middle, getting a hold of it. What's on it? My picture, address and DOB to start. Plus, if the scan itself was good enough to prove my ID to the registrar, seems like it could be used for similar purposes elsewhere. Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
As others have suggested you could upload to Google Drive or something similar and send the host a link to this.

beast5

Verified Provider
I was recently asked by a registrar to send a copy if my photo ID via email to confirm my name. When I declined and asked if they could provide some sort of secure upload for the requested scan, I was told they didn't have an alterative. Is sending/receiving sensitive documents over unencrypted channels SOP in the world of web services? Strikes me as a real security concern, but I do tend towards the paranoid when it comes to this sort of thing.
hi

I can see your concern and understand it. if the hosting company gets hacked and they get your ID and your credit card it can be a real problem.

but some times you just have to do it. just make sure you follow your credit card's account and you can reverse and cancel if your information is compromised you are insured. and as for the registrar they are trying to have the domains with real information (only trying)

amuck-landowner