amuck-landowner

RFO - Wednesday, November 4th

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Earlier today the MySQL server that is hosted with BuyVM went down for scheduled node maintenance. Their maintenance window was roughly around an hour. However upon coming back to life, the server remained unreachable. Total downtime of the MySQL server was roughly around 2 hours, 40 minutes.

The issue appears to have been network config related and isolated to the vpsBoard DB KVM server, however this was only discovered after investigating why MySQL would not start. Lots of cussing, and some deep breaths later determined the cause to be network device related. In reality, that should have been investigated first as signs pointed to a network config issue but in the heat of the moment it was not determined that was the cause yet.

Anyhow, props for scv from AnyNode for lending a helping hand and getting me sorted out and reconstructing the network config.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Howdy everyone!

For those who are curious as to where the ads went, the Ads server has been giving us some trouble now and we've temporarily taken it down to fix it.  Seems today just isn't our day.  We'll get a full RFO out on the situation once we get it resolved.  Please bear with us!  

Any comments and questions about this situation can be directed at me and you're more than welcome to talk to me on IRC!  

Thanks yall! 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
All good, it has been an unusually mucked up Monday for me also.  

Guess everyone decided to work on things today.  Living up to definition of a dreaded Monday.

Damian

Verified Provider
Ha! I didn't even notice.

But because you've mentioned it now:

9d4.gif

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Need an Active/Active mysql setup :)
Yes, active/active MySQL setup sounds like a need.   Would have to muck with middle layer to the database (i.e. MySQL proxy or similar) to get that happy I suppose.  Someone write up a tutorial :)

It's quite a few pieces already to make it all run.  

Adding more complexity is bound to create more issues than it solves.

Database is backed up regularly offsite, so even if things blow up, rebuild from fairly current data is possible.

amuck-landowner