amuck-landowner

So, I got a 14U server rack that fits in my closet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I think it's a good idea for learning networking, but not the most ideal situation for a business as others have pointed out.

Should just use Raspberry Pi's instead. :)

fapvps

Verified Provider
I don't see how this can be used for anything even half way serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

shovenose

Verified Provider
ok fine, how much would you pay for a dedicated raspberry pi? I'm open for suggestions on what would be useful.

Could fit 4 per rackmount easily.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
ok fine, how much would you pay for a dedicated raspberry pi? I'm open for suggestions on what would be useful.
Not a lot really. It's nice to have dedicated RAM and all, but the processors on them suck and MySQL is a beast that maxes out the CPU easily. =/

Less than what I'd pay for a 512MB OpenVZ or KVM VPS, is what I'd pay for a Raspberry Pi.

I'd still probably utilize what you have as a learning project to gain experience to be listed on a future resume or use whatever hardware you may own and collocate it direct with a datacenter.

fapvps

Verified Provider
It is possible to buy a 1/4 rack for ~$150 with power and plenty of bandwidth. You will pay close to that for your connection plus electricity...

shovenose

Verified Provider
Not a lot really. It's nice to have dedicated RAM and all, but the processors on them suck and MySQL is a beast that maxes out the CPU easily. =/

Less than what I'd pay for a 512MB OpenVZ or KVM VPS, is what I'd pay for a Raspberry Pi.

I'd still probably utilize what you have as a learning project to gain experience to be listed on a future resume or use whatever hardware you may own and collocate it direct with a datacenter.
Yeah.

So $5/month for a dedicated Raspberry pi? I could do 48 of them (since that's what my switch is).

48x5 = $240. That'll cover the connection and power.

I really have no intention to make a profit with this at this point, but to learn and provide something useful.

To sum up the thread so far:

-i3 is too expensive and would be wasted because of lack of bandwidth and would create too much heat

-Atoms are not interesting, expensive for what they are, and would not cover costs really. And probably still create too much heat.

-Raspberry Pis or similar would be the best option.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Dacentec offers a 1/4 cabinet at $150/month (less than $16 per U) and it includes 100Mbps unmetered on a 1Gbps port (multi-homed) and 5Amps of power. A 1U Intel Atom uses less than 0.5Amps of power so you have more power than you have space.

GoRACK offers 10U for $99/month and you can upgrade to 100Mbps unmetered for $25 so that's only $124/month for 10U of space + bandwidth and 3Amps.

According to Comcast, you're looking at $199.95/month just for 100Mbps down, 20Mbps up so you're already wasting money and losing redundancy if you continue this path.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Dacentec offers a 1/4 cabinet at $150/month (less than $16 per U) and it includes 100Mbps unmetered on a 1Gbps port (multi-homed) and 5Amps of power. A 1U Intel Atom uses less than 0.5Amps of power so you have more power than you have space.

GoRACK offers 10U for $99/month and you can upgrade to 100Mbps unmetered for $25 so that's only $124/month for 10U of space + bandwidth and 3Amps.

According to Comcast, you're looking at $199.95/month just for 100Mbps down, 20Mbps up so you're already wasting money and losing redundancy if you continue this path.
Hmm, I know, but that's no fun and nothing to learn there.

GVH-Jon

Banned
Hmm, I know, but that's no fun and nothing to learn there.
So basically you're saying that you would intentionally screw your clients to learn a few tricks? There's other ways to learn you know. I bet you that if you started selling servers or virtual servers from that setup and your clients found out the servers were in your closet, they would probably cancel and lose respect for you.

Bad idea.

shovenose

Verified Provider
So basically you're saying that you would intentionally screw your clients to learn a few tricks? There's other ways to learn you know. I bet you that if you started selling servers or virtual servers from that setup and your clients found out the servers were in your closet, they would probably cancel and lose respect for you.

Bad idea.
You are stupider than I thought. Close thread please.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Keep in mind that this thread and your actions are a reflection on your company (ShoveHost) even if you try to separate them it will still have an impact so I would tread carefully. Now if you were to give away free services you were hosting in your closet nobody would complain about that but charging for such service is not a good idea no matter how little you charge for it.

Offering free services is your best bet since it's closer to a real world environment for you to test with and your "clients" wouldn't have a leg to stand on if you were honest upfront and you had some unexpected downtime.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Keep in mind that this thread and your actions are a reflection on your company (ShoveHost) even if you try to separate them it will still have an impact so I would tread carefully. Now if you were to give away free services you were hosting in your closet nobody would complain about that but charging for such service is not a good idea no matter how little you charge for it.

Offering free services is your best bet since it's closer to a real world environment for you to test with and your "clients" wouldn't have a leg to stand on if you were honest upfront and you had some unexpected downtime.
I understand. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner