amuck-landowner

Spamhaus listing us for being listed and will not remove listings now?

willie

I can see how a blacklist org might want to lean on the owner of a range, but there's no genuine or 'valid' reason to punish the non-spamming IP within it (some of which may have no relation to the owner) other than pigheadedness imo.

I think you answered your own question.  If I'm a non-spammer and the IP that I use is blacklisted because I'm hosted by someone who also hosts spammers, I end up moving elsewhere, which deprives the host of revenue.  That's part of the way the blacklist leans on hosts to get rid of spammers for real instead of making empty gestures.

coreyman

Verified Provider
I think you answered your own question.  If I'm a non-spammer and the IP that I use is blacklisted because I'm hosted by someone who also hosts spammers, I end up moving elsewhere, which deprives the host of revenue.  That's part of the way the blacklist leans on hosts to get rid of spammers for real instead of making empty gestures.

That's part of the way blacklists blackmail hosts to get rid of anyone that they want you to get rid of.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider

Sure, but I didn't mean from the POV of a client who would default to blind faith in a blacklist's willful ignorance. I meant from the perspective of non-spamming hosts who have pockets of IP space within larger ranges owned by different hosts. In other words, you would have ended up moving elsewhere based in a false positive.

but I mean if you feel content 'depriving hosts of revenue' who didn't deserve it, have fun with that I guess.

(I don't really care, mostly just think it's kind of amusing to see immediate transitions from blind faith to groundless accusations of complicity)

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner