Spamhaus Petitions UK Government for Monetary Penalties Against Bad Networks

Discussion in 'The Pub (Off topic discussion)' started by drmike, Nov 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
    Spamhaus is going after bad network operators via UK government now.

Whole story: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/385666/spam-fighters-call-for-parking-tickets-on-unsafe-servers

MannDude, Francisco, scv and 4 others like this.
  2. MannDude

MannDude Just a dude vpsBoard Founder Moderator

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    Good. In the US there are a few providers that that would hurt immensely, assuming the fines were nothing to sneeze at.

Question is, the money gathered from fines... what would it be applied to? How would it be used?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
    InertiaNetworks-John likes this.
  3. Magiobiwan

Magiobiwan Insert Witty Statement Here Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
    Who is Spamhaus about to piss off now...

4. blergh

blergh New Member Verified Provider

Apr 10, 2013
    spamhaus is a private company and still play internet police, fuck off spamhaus you suck.

5. nunim

nunim VPS Junkie

May 15, 2013
    I've found them to be one of the easier SBL's to deal with, they usually respond within 48 hours unlike some of the larger companies, i.e. AT&T or Yahoo.  I just got a reply today from AT&T, saying it will be delisted in 24-48hours, about a false positive I submitted last Monday...

I like this idea in concept but I don't see how it would work.  Spamhaus says you're bad, so you owe money... To who and where does it get spent?  God only knows.

6. signius

signius New Member

May 16, 2013
    There is so many things wrong with this dumb idea i don't even know where to start.

Maybe the UK government should be fined first for all the security holes in their own networks as they are like a fucking sieve & also running such out of date software you couldn't make it up, plus many government websites will only work will Windows XP & IE 6 so actively telling users they have to use old exploitable software in order to use their services.

So if a server is exploited but configured correctly are they then going to fine the developers of the software ? If that's the case i guess Microsoft, Adobe, Cisco & 95% of the software industry would have gone bankrupt & out of business years & years ago.

Spamhaus is a private company that chose to go into the business area they have with full knowledge of the type of people & businesses they would be confronting & it is down to them to make sure they can cope with any attacks they encounter as a result of their own actions, going crying to a government after they got a bloody nose is outrageous & it is not a governments job.

Also it isn't like the UK Government or the EU have got a good track record when it comes to introducing well thought out technically workable laws when it comes to technology, the facts are the majority of laws are unworkable completely ill thought through & written by people who don't even have the most basic understanding of how the internet actually works.

Spamhaus may do some good work but on this occasion they are talking out their asses.

drmike likes this.
  7. InertiaNetworks-John

InertiaNetworks-John Inertia Networks, LLC Verified Provider

May 23, 2013
    Have to agree with you on this one.

Since when does a private company fine via the government?

blergh likes this.
  8. tchen

tchen New Member

Sep 1, 2013
  9. Kakashi

Kakashi New Member Verified Provider

Sep 30, 2013
    Knowing the UK Government this will become another cash cow for them and it'll just get out of control like the parking tickets.

However just focusing on the UK isn't very fair when the vast majority of SPAM is generated outside.

drmike likes this.
  10. hostemo.com

hostemo.com New Member Verified Provider

Nov 30, 2013
    it is very difficult to provider to control those unethic spammer.

11. Coastercraze

Coastercraze Top Thrill Verified Provider

Mar 28, 2013
    Gov't: There's an increase in rape victims lately...

Spamhaus: You should fine them, because they were unsecure! They could have prevented being raped, it's their fault!

Sorry if it's a bit graphic, but it's essentially what they want.

12. blergh

blergh New Member Verified Provider

Apr 10, 2013
    Also; copyswede.