04:05 GMT+1 - Unnamed UK ISP:

tor1.uk -> status: down

04:08 GMT+1 - Hosting.ua (VPS):

tor2.ua -> status: down
tor3.ua -> status: down
tor4.ua -> status: down

04:20 GMT+1 - Hosting.ua (Dedicated):

tor1.ua -> status: down

One ISP sent me "We were forced to nullroute this servers on request of RNBO/РНБО http://www.rnbo.gov.ua/"

We'll see what continues (expecially with my 2 nodes here at home)...

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The centralized directory servers are a massive flaw in Tor's design.  Easy proof of concept to knock them all down and make Tor go silent.  Surprised it hasn't happened before from attacks, mad network operators, etc.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Sounds like one exit node operator's servers were hacked rather than government takedowns:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-December/036078.html

The centralized directory servers are a massive flaw in Tor's design.  Easy proof of concept to knock them all down and make Tor go silent.  Surprised it hasn't happened before from attacks, mad network operators, etc.
In the blog entry's comments:

"There are a bunch of research papers looking at exactly this question....the current situation is that nobody knows of a better design that is actually better in practice. "

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
The TOR project issued a warning on their blog on Friday that this might happen:

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/possible-upcoming-attempts-disable-tor-network

The Tor Project has learned that there may be an attempt to incapacitate our network in the next few days through the seizure of specialized servers in the network called directory authorities. (Directory authorities help Tor clients learn the list of relays that make up the Tor network.) We are taking steps now to ensure the safety of our users, and our system is already built to be redundant so that users maintain anonymity even if the network is attacked. Tor remains safe to use.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
In the blog entry's comments:

"There are a bunch of research papers looking at exactly this question....the current situation is that nobody knows of a better design that is actually better in practice. "
Are they this bloody stupid or insane?

Standing non moving pillars vs. the ocean of maliciousness.  Dedicated stuck server vs. every form of attach, digitally or in person when humans yank the server(s).

Solution is and will remain:  distributed.

How you disguise things, hide them and generally route to and fro is whole other layer.

Because of fubared logic and approaches with Tor that stick years on end, I truly can't see it being more than just a honeypot let to run and collect data on at-risk and outright criminal folks.  It will all be on your permanent record.

I stopped arguing with Tor senior folks eons ago.  They really are putting honest people at risk with things as they are.  Mechanically the stuff remains easily compromised.  Networks of rogue end nodes can and have logged data for bad reasons and more of that going on than anyone will fess up to.

Folks concerned about privacy should be getting behind other projects.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Is there less/no pedo shit on I2P? It'd be nice to have a dorknet where I could pirate ebooks without feeling guilty about being complicit in passing pedophile traffic

like William

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Is there less/no pedo shit on I2P? It'd be nice to have a dorknet where I could pirate ebooks without feeling guilty about being complicit in passing pedophile traffic
The Internet is one big dorknet.

You can pirate anything with a seedbox and publuc trackers.

like William
That is an appalling simplification.

If you want freedom, you get the whole bundle.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
I'm already on Bibliotik & friends, I just wanted to use Library Genesis' I2P leaf since I think it's unrestricted, unlike the main site which only allows so many searches/downloads per static IP/day

amuck-landowner