amuck-landowner

U.S. judge rules search warrants extend to overseas email accounts

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I don't think Microsoft should be allowed to break the law regardless of how large they are, but that's just me. I understand those of you who think that if you have a lot of money you should be exempt from the law but that's not how it works.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
2 years later, Microsoft wins its appeal.

IN A LANDMARK DECISION, an appellate court ruled Thursday that the U.S. government could not obtain personal data held overseas by issuing a domestic warrant.

full article: https://theintercept.com/2016/07/14/microsoft-wins-major-privacy-victory-for-data-held-overseas/

Microsoft Corporation appeals from orders of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (1) denying Microsoft’s motion to quash a warrant (“Warrant”) issued under the Stored Communications Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2701 et seq., to the extent that the orders required Microsoft to produce the contents of a customer’s e‐ mail account stored on a server located outside the United States, and (2) holding Microsoft in civil contempt of court for its failure to comply with the Warrant.  We Case 14-2985, Document 286-1, 07/14/2016, 1815361, Page1 of 43 2 conclude that § 2703 of the Stored Communications Act does not authorize courts to issue and enforce against U.S.‐based service providers warrants for the seizure of customer e‐mail content that is stored exclusively on foreign servers. REVERSED, VACATED, AND REMANDED.

copy of the decision: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/microsoft_ca2_20160714.pdf

Reactions: fm7

lowesthost

Verified Provider
Finally someone who can actually read a law. 

If a crime syndicate crosses boarders then use interpol  it was enacted for just such situations.  

Boo hoo " law enforcement efforts would be seriously impeded"

I thought it the US you were considered innocent until proven guilty if the data is that important stored on foreign  soil that it would enhance a criminal case  then get the proper warrants within that country.

amuck-landowner