amuck-landowner

v6 Allocations

Virtovo

Verified Provider
I've recently been dealing with a provider.  I won't mention their name as so far they have been very good (albeit with some minor hiccups which they are working to resolve). 

I've asked for either a /48 or /52 to allocate /64s to end users; however they have said they can't allocate anything larger than a /64 to me without some pretty lengthy justification.  

Now I may have this confused, which is why I'm posting here, but surely the aim with v6 is to ensure that plenty is allocated and people are able to push /64s to end users.  They've said they will have issues justifying the usage with ARIN which seems bananas.

Any thoughts?

ocitysolutions

Verified Provider
Its possible they themselves dont have a very large allocation from ARIN. I doubt getting more should be a problem through ARIN.

rds100

Verified Provider
I don't know how is it with ARIN, since i am in RIPE land, but here a justification would be needed for anything larger than a /48. For /48 or smaller - it can just be assigned. And RIPE is giving each LIR a /32, or even a /29 - you just have to ask.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Sounds like them being lazy more or less. ARIN doesn't much care what you do with Ipv6 as long as you use it.

willie

I thought end users normally are expected to get /112's.  If they're giving out /29 like candy maybe there will be a v6 address shortage after a while ;).

Virtovo

Verified Provider
I thought end users normally are expected to get /112's.  If they're giving out /29 like candy maybe there will be a v6 address shortage after a while ;).
End users are meant to be assigned a /64.  Not only for SLAAC purposes but also blacklisting occurs at /64 level.

rds100

Verified Provider
LIRs are given /29s, not end users. Unless these end users are willing to pay 1750 EUR/year and become LIRs of course.

willie

I just mean it surprised me that even largish ISP's can get something as large as a /29.  ipv6 is looking like a bust anyway though.

amuck-landowner