amuck-landowner

VOIP provider in europe?

willie

I'm looking for a European VOIP provider, i.e. a place connected to the POTS phone system, where I can originate calls starting from an IP connection (SIP or XMPP, I guess), something like Vitelity.  In Vitelity's case they also do (rather expensive by vpsboard standards) VPS hosting in the same data center as their phone stuff, so you can run a pbx or other voice service while escaping some internet flakiness.  That would also be a nice feature.  I've found callwithus.us which has an endpoint in France--are there any more like that?  Thanks.

layerbyte_ben

Verified Provider
Have you taken a look at voip.ms ? You can get international DID's from them and they do have a server in London.

willie

Thanks, I knew about voip.ms but didn't know they had servers in London.  I had hoped the situation would be like VPS hosts where they were around everywhere and it was just a matter of finding them, but it looks like telecom regulations prevent these services from existing in lots of European countries.

I don't care about international DID going into a US server, but rather, if possible I want the server to be in the same country as the person I'm trying to call (in a situation where they use POTS and there's no hope of getting them to use a voip client).  The idea is to prevent the cleartext phone traffic from crossing national boundaries, and avoid a bit of dragnet surveillance.  UK isn't all that good in that respect, but OVH has actively been advertising its cloud hosting services as being away from US spying.

amuck-landowner