amuck-landowner

WANTED - Seagate Barracuda - 500GB

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I'm after a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB drive but with a twist...

I actually only need the controller but would obviously buy the whole drive. It must be identical though so I need a drive with the following:

Model: ST3500320AS

P/N: 9BX154-568

Firmware: SD81

Long shot I know.. but worth a try :)

NodePacket

Verified Provider
Well, I have a SAS 500GB Drive, but that doesn't help you. Good luck. I would check internet, craigslist, and ebay (if applicable).

pcan

The SD81 firmware on that drive model is affected by the infamous bug that bricks the drive after 320 logged events on a internal firmware table. Details and the fix are here:  http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/

If the drive has failed by this bug, swapping the controller board will not revive it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the rs232-ttl cable is avalable from RS components with part number 767-6200. That cable was unavailable when I followed the procedure, but the schematic is basically the same of the ttl converter I used. 

Last edited by a moderator:

dcdan

Verified Provider
I have checked our boxes with old drives, no Seagates unfortunately. I would do a search for "donor drives" - you should be able to get what you want no problem. Also make sure you transfer the original ROM to the new board (otherwise it won't work) - some places that sell pcbs will do that for you for a little extra.

EDIT:

BTW, Can you tell us what is wrong with the drive?

qps

Verified Provider
I don't think I have one with that firmware since we updated all of our drives with this model number, but I can probably come up with one that has the SD1A firmware loaded.

qps

Verified Provider
Confirmed, I have one spare one available, but I believe it has the SD1A firmware.  I can probably come up with more than one if needed, but we'll have to swap out some customer drives.

dcdan

Verified Provider
I must say that the firmware revision does not really matter in this case, you would still have to swap the ROM chip.

amuck-landowner