amuck-landowner

What has the greatest impact on OpenVZ VPS suspend time during vzdump?

ICPH

Hi,

on an OpenVZ server there is tool vzdump to backup VMs

one can backup large VPS and it will be down maybe even seconds. It is true, but only in some cases..

I use 

vzdump 777 --mode suspend
About vzdump modes:

"stop" mode

Stop the VM during backup. This results in a very long downtime.

"suspend" mode
For OpenVZ, this mode uses rsync to copy the VM to a temporary location (see option --tmpdir). Then the VM is suspended and a second rsync
copies changed files. After that, the VM is started (resume) again. This results in a minimal downtime, but needs additional space to hold the
VM copy.

For QemuServer, this mode work like "stop" mode, but uses suspend/resume instead of stop/start.

"snapshot" mode
This mode uses LVM2 snapshots. There is no downtime, but snapshot mode needs LVM2 and some free space on the corresponding volume group to
create the LVM snapshot.

i want to ask how to prevent big downtime during vzdump backup.

my downtime was 15 minutes when i backed up around 80Gb VM on 7200RPM HDD

What has the biggest impact on downtime period? some directory on a VM, so i can reduce its size?

As per description above, what about somehow doing not more rsnyc before suspension? I also remember that when i suspended manually some big VM it toook very long time to be done..

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Doing a dump to the same single hdd the vm is stored on won't be helping either.

ICPH

thx, for advice, please can You kindly write an example on what you mean by "online backup with vzdump"?

If you mean "snapshot: Use LVM2 (no downtime, online)", 

How i can discover setup LVM if server has Raid 1 only?

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/md2              2.0T  150G  1.8T   8% /

tmpfs                 7.7G     0  7.7G   0% /dev/shm

/dev/md1              496M   30M  441M   7% /boot

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner