amuck-landowner

What skills do you look for in your employees?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Thanks. This is an interesting industry and I hope to one day work in it. Does anyone have a cPanel certification? Do employers require that? I will continue to work on and break and fix my own servers for now but one day want to volunteer and gain experience and hopefully get a decent job working for a web host!
Nope, not required. I don't think I've ever seen it as a requirement, though as mentioned in the other thread about it I don't see how it'd hurt. The L1 test can be taken online, though the L2 test and above requires you to be on-site, which for me seems like a bit much. I'm not flying out to Texas to take a test unless having the certification will yield me a pay raise significant enough for the inconvenience of obtaining the certification or will help me obtain a better paying job. Depending on where in the world you're located, the cost to take the test on-site could be very significant, and could easily equal a month of pay just for the round trip ticket and cost of staying a day or two in Houston or Dallas or wherever cPanel is headquartered. 

Xenfinity

Verified Provider
Does anyone have a cPanel certification? Do employers require that? I will continue to work on and break and fix my own servers for now but one day want to volunteer and gain experience and hopefully get a decent job working for a web host!
I'm a cPanel certified technician, but that came after I got hired at a web host.  There's more information in for you to peruse.

Nick

KS_Phillip

Verified Provider
With the right personality and character traits, technical knowledge is largely irrelevant.  No matter how much someone knows about general networking, kvm, openvz, etc...they don't know anything about how *we* do it, so they need to be trained anyway.  So our hiring is based around basic competence, personality, willingness and ability to learn.

GreenHostBox

Verified Provider
Experience and knowledge are the two biggest things I look for. Without those two, it's a disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner