amuck-landowner

WordPress Installation

Vikas Deore

I need help to install WordPress on a subfolder of my existing website. I would like to add the blog as a subfolder to the site.

Rex M

I need help to install WordPress on a subfolder of my existing website. I would like to add the blog as a subfolder to the site.
Hello Vikas Deore,

You can operate multiple WordPress instances within the same domain or on a subdomain by WordPress installed on a sub-directory.

In order to install and run WordPress on the sub-directory, you can follow the steps given below,

• First, create a Sub-Directory Inside Your WordPress Installation
  • Now, you can connect your existing WordPress installation using cPanel File Manager or FTP.
  • Nextly, once connected, create a sub-directory.
  • Now, upload the WordPress zip into that sub-directory, then unzip and extract it.
  • Then, add the WordPress database details in wp-config.php.
  • Nextly, Install WordPress on the installation page.
  • Lastly, Access the WordPress admin installed within the sub-directory page.
If a separate WordPress is installed at the root directory, we will need to put the code in the .htaccess file of your sub-directory.

• You will have to paste the following code into the .htaccess file of your subdirectory,

Code:
# BEGIN WordPress
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /subdirectory/
RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /subdirectory/index.php [L]
# END WordPress

Note: You will need to replace the /subdirectory with your sub-directory name.

Thus, you can install WordPress on a separate sub-directory by implementing the above steps.

Now, your subdirectory is a brand new WordPress instance that you can benefit from. Also, you can add the blog as a subfolder to the site.

-----------------------------
Regards,
Rex M

Jack134

Here are the steps to install WordPress on a subfolder of your existing website:

1. First, make sure that your existing website is up-to-date and running smoothly.
2. Next, log in to your cPanel account and navigate to the "Softaculous Apps Installer" section.
3. In Softaculous, search for "WordPress" and click the "Install Now" button.
4. On the installation page, select the "In Directory" option and enter the subfolder where you want to install WordPress (e.g., "/blog/").
5. Follow the prompts to complete the installation process, including selecting a username and password for your WordPress admin account.
6. Once the installation is complete, you can access your new WordPress blog by visiting yourdomain.com/blog/.
7. To connect your new blog to your existing website, you can add a link in the main menu or footer of your site, or create a custom page that links to the blog.
8. Finally, you can customize your blog's design and settings by logging in to your WordPress admin dashboard

HifiveHost

Sure! Installing WordPress as a subdirectory of your current website is a popular method. Here is a step-by-step tutorial to assist you:

Step 1: Download WordPress

1. Visit the official WordPress website and download the latest version of WordPress.
Step 2: Extract WordPress Files

1. Extract the downloaded WordPress zip file to your computer.
Step 3: Create a Subfolder on Your Server

1. Connect to your website's server using an FTP client (e.g., FileZilla) or use your hosting provider's file manager.
  2. Navigate to the root directory of your website.
  3. Create a new folder for your WordPress installation. For example, you can name it 'blog' or any other name you prefer.
Step 4: Upload WordPress Files

1. Upload all the extracted WordPress files and folders to the subfolder you created in the previous step.
Step 5: Create a Database

1. Log in to your web hosting control panel.
  2. Find the "Database" section and create a new MySQL database and a user with full privileges.
Step 6: Configure wp-config.php

1. In the subfolder where you installed WordPress, find the wp-config-sample.php file.
  2. Rename it to wp-config.php.
  3. Open wp-config.php in a text editor and enter the database information (database name, username, password) you created in Step 5.
Step 7: Run the WordPress Installation

1. Open your web browser and navigate to the subfolder where you installed WordPress (e.g., http://yourdomain.com/blog).
  2. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the WordPress installation.
  3. Enter the site title, create an admin account, and provide an email address.
  4. Click "Install WordPress."
Step 8: Log in to Your WordPress Dashboard

1. Once the installation is complete, log in to your WordPress dashboard using the admin credentials you set up.
Step 9: Configure Permalinks (Optional)

1. In your WordPress dashboard, go to Settings > Permalinks.
  2. Choose a permalink structure that suits your needs and click "Save Changes."
That's it! Your WordPress installation is now set up in a subfolder on your existing website. You can start customizing your blog and publishing content.

amuck-landowner