amuck-landowner

Your predictions for the future of the VPS hosting industry?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Theoretically that's how it's supposed to work.  :) A few months ago many Leaseweb Cloud customers in NL and DE had extended downtime when Leaseweb's SAN cluster system failed (and this wasn't the first time their storage system failed...in 2013 users suffered through a week of hell).  I had 28 straight hours of downtime on one server in September but many users were down for even longer (they did give users who were affected 3 free months of service as compensation but...).  

tl;dr Real cloud providers may have higher availability than a LEB kiddie host but 100% uptime (both hardware and network) isn't going to happen with any cloud provider (chart of cloud providers uptime: https://cloudharmony.com/status-1year-group-by-regions  )

In 1997 a couple of Dutch college students named Con and Laurens who didn't know a thing about hosting (but who both had ATP pilots licenses) started an online business directory and shortly after launching the directory they started offering web design services to the businesses listed in their directory, and then they rented a server to host the client websites they designed.. Fast forward 19 years and they've learned a bit about the hosting industry and their company OCOM is one of the largest hosts in the world and owns several datacenters and counts both DomainBop and HalfEatenPie among its clients.

tl;dr stop picking on random 16 year old CEOs because there is an outside chance they'll grow up to be a professional who actually knows what they're talking about (and then again, maybe not  because some of them are already beyond hope) :p

"VPS" providers sell virtualized services.  "Cloud" providers sell virtualized services.  :)  

The only virtualition providers who will be pushed out are those who remain stuck in the past and don't adopt to changing market conditions.  (points finger at all of the current SolusVM host in a box providers who have already fallen behind because they failed to adopt to changes in the virtualization market and are still offering yesterday's feature set ).

Double posting.  #rekt #sorrynotsorry

Basically what I'm saying about is that now Web Hosting has matured a long way since it's "first starts".  It's not as easy/as many opportunities available for an average 16 year old than it is for back then (in my opinion).  As an industry matures, unless you're an incredibly talented individual, something like that I don't see happening much.

But then again, it is the internet and anyone can be any age on it. 

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Guess what I'm trying to say is it's probably not entirely providers' fault for "failing to adapt to changes in the virtualization market" or "still offering yesterday's feature set" when SolusVM had been hyping change for what, going on 2 years now, but never delivered.

Seems like they just tucked it into the bottom drawer at OnApp and forgot about it or something.

...because some of them are already beyond hope) :p

@DomainBop say what you will about Mr. N, but his lunacy alone probably brought LET more pageviews -> return visits -> BSA revnue -> popcorn sales -> business than anything else for a while there, however unsettling that thought may be, lmao (not encouraging any reruns). Hope is useless anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

graeme

An industry outsiders view, so based only looking at demand and techology, not the dynamics of the business:

• A lot more container hosting - Docker in the short run, probably more technologies in the long run.
  • A lot more cloud hosting. Scalability in particular. Shut down, store at lower cost and restore later.
  • Added services: e.g. VPSs together with elements of cloud hosting, such as large file storage. Probably things I cannot think of.
  • A lot more IP 6 only, especially at the bottom possibly with shared IP 4 addresses.
  • Host-it-yourself will take off in a big way for small stuff that does not need to be particularly reliable - personal sites, small scale services.

amuck-landowner