amuck-landowner

You asked - we delivered. Bandwagon Host in Florida and Micro plans... And KiwiVM!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
IT7 Networks right?  I just tripped over something on your network in the past week. No worries, you aren't in my dog house.   

Good to see company interconnections for transparency sake.   Brings a lot of credibility vs. being a crazy wonky host with some "how are they going to survive on that" offer.

Last edited by a moderator:

dcdan

Verified Provider
Yes, IT7 Networks. We have no reason to hide anything. We are definitely not making our income off these plans, but we're not losing money either.

PS. We still have a few nodes @ colocrossing, but that will change :lol:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
PS. We still have a few nodes @ colocrossing, but that will change  :lol:
Don't let me twist your arm  :D Thought you might have a little something-something in Buffalo when I saw the Toronto metro address.

Rendus

I've had a Bandwagonhost $9.99/year 512MB/5GB/500GB OpenVZ VM for just about 6 months now, and have few complaints (none, if I pause to look back at that $9.99 number again).

I live in Las Vegas, and my VM is in their Phoenix location. I wind up getting better RTT to them than I do to BuyVM at Fiberhub, and have only had the occasional network glitch. Most recent was a couple days ago, I lost connectivity to my VM and at least devices on neighboring IPs for about 3-5 minutes. Nothing major either way. The VM itself is sitting at

08:53:10 up 58 days, 2:41

for uptime, and I'm pretty sure the last reboot was my doing as well. Currently the leader of any of my VMs, and probably the highest uptime I've gotten out of anyone in a year or more.

I can't speak to their nifty automated abuse-handling system, since I've never run afoul of it, worst I've done is some burst IO and some words with the kernel OOM killer when I accidentally added too many zeroes to MySQL's config, but their panel does have some possibly-unique, or at least pretty uncommon features:

If you're running CentOS (I'm not), there's a one-click installer for OpenVPN. I assume it works, anyway.

The panel can take OS image snapshots to download, but requires a reboot unfortunately. (Understandable, and I don't know that I'd want a snapshot while the VM and filesystem are hot anyway, but I have that uptime statistic to consider...).

There's a feature to import your install from another provider - I actually used this when moving away from BuyVM, and it worked perfectly fine. It just checks compatibility, kills any unnecessary running tasks, then rsyncs the FS over. Sure, it's just a couple minutes to do it yourself, but handy to have if you're lazy.

And you can switch datacenters seemingly at will between their Florida, Arizona and Netherland locations. You'll have a new IP address when the DC migration is done, of course, but that's the only catch I'm aware of (I could've sworn there was a fee or some limitation or something to this, but I may be mistaken, or it may have been removed). I haven't tried this either.

They also offer two-factor authentication through the Google Authenticator app,

The root shells (they have three - your standard terminal-aspirant, a full-blown terminal emulator, and a simple form that submits your command into your container without any interactivity) work better than most I've come across - no Java, no port forwarding, etc.

The pricing /is/ worryingly low, honestly, and it took me a few months of having the VM up and running before I moved anything important onto it - but at this point, almost everything of note is running on it and i have no real concerns - I just make sure that anything I care about is backed up.

dcdan

Verified Provider
And you can switch datacenters seemingly at will between their Florida, Arizona and Netherland locations. You'll have a new IP address when the DC migration is done, of course, but that's the only catch I'm aware of (I could've sworn there was a fee or some limitation or something to this, but I may be mistaken, or it may have been removed). I haven't tried this either.
Thank you for the feedback. Wow, that was thorough :)

Just one comment: DC migrations were always free and unlimited. I don't think we will be changing this.

Rendus

Eh - It was moderately detailed :p I'll probably clean it up and post it over in Reviews for you next time I get bored.

About the only thing I'd like to see added to the control panel would be an API of some sort, to at least pull official stats for resource utilization for the month/cycle. I have an entire wishlist of stuff I'd love to see in such an API though (such as access control on keys to allow read-only access, or to limit access to any functionality the API offers (like reboots)).

For a limited time, our legendary 5G promo is back. Available at our Florida and Arizona locations:

5G PLAN $9.99/year 512MB RAM 5GB SSD 500GB Bandwidth on GigE

Have fun!
Sweet - ordered another. Not that I need yet another VM, but what the hell.

Speaking of wishlists and redundant purchases, I've sent a PM with another request/thought to try to avoid turning this into a discussion thread. :p

dcdan

Verified Provider
We are currently working on an API, but I have no firm ETA on it. The plan is to have everything available via an API, plus it will be possible to create/terminate VPS (and do other cool things). We will be rolling it out at the same time we will get rid of WHMCS.

Once the first (basic) version of API is released, we will be implementing from the "customers' suggestions" list :)

dcdan

Verified Provider
We are out of stock in Netherlands since this morning, sorry. We should have a few new nodes set up by the end of next week.

Jack

Might pick up a yearly to test your control panel would like NL though due to latency from where I am located, I am following this thread now so if you could post when theres stock or PM me that would be great!

amuck-landowner