amuck-landowner

Voice chat room

Hxxx

I remember there was a post about this, or related here, well if it was, my apologies. Didn't find it. 

I think vpsBoard can offer the community some way of chatting using voice, it would be more fun than just typing on IRC. How about some ventrilo or teamspeak? Or maybe a better service? Google Hangout?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
There was talk of one time of setting up a ventrilo server in the past but I do not believe there was enough interest. Someone is free to setup an un-official vpsBoard one.  Unsure how often it would be used, sort of like the unofficial tinychat or whatever it is channel or room someone made.

The IRC channel is always active though. #vpsBoard on freenode.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

Yeah, I don't much have any interest in voice chat with a bunch of strangers, and would much rather use irc than something run by some company.  I do like the vpsboard freenode channel most of the time.  And I've been wondering for a while how to set up a voice chat for personal use with my friends.  It turns out to be somewhat difficult if one wants to stay FLOSS and avoid bloatware.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Yeah, I don't much have any interest in voice chat with a bunch of strangers, and would much rather use irc than something run by some company.  I do like the vpsboard freenode channel most of the time.  And I've been wondering for a while how to set up a voice chat for personal use with my friends.  It turns out to be somewhat difficult if one wants to stay FLOSS and avoid bloatware.
Mumble?

It's not difficult to setup a mumble server

Mun

Never Forget
There was a mumble server I hosted for awhile in the intent of being used for VPSboard, but only 3 or so people showed up. We all eventually learned everything about each other and moved on. 

Mun

Hxxx

Epic that if it were to be implemented it would be public, why do we have to care in term of encryption for a public voice channel where everyone from everywhere can join and just listen/record what you are saying?

willie

Hmm, mumble looks promising, it's already in the debian repo, but the client is very bloated, and I don't see where to download the source code.  Downloading from mumble.com also requires agreeing to some kind of service agreement.

I'm thinking that maybe encryption in the voip software isn't necessary if I can tunnel it through ssh or some kind of datagram vpn.

JahAGR

Hmm, mumble looks promising, it's already in the debian repo, but the client is very bloated, and I don't see where to download the source code.  Downloading from mumble.com also requires agreeing to some kind of service agreement.

I'm thinking that maybe encryption in the voip software isn't necessary if I can tunnel it through ssh or some kind of datagram vpn.
mumble.com is some server host and I guess they offer a download too. The official Mumble site with downloads is http://mumble.sourceforge.net

Might recommend TS3 depending on what kind of feature set you're looking for. Mumble works well but is pretty bare-bones voice chat and one channel of text chat. They have some neat stuff planned for future versions but the todo list doesn't look like it has changed much since I stopped using it personally two years ago.

As mentioned above, global voice data encryption can be forced via a server setting in TS3. Otherwise it is set per-channel.

Mumble's licensing is (of course) more favorable than TS3's though.

willie

Thanks, yes, I'd want a minimal feature set, voice and text (or voice without text) is fine, in particular I really want no GUI on the client (command line only).  I don't need SIP or anything like that.  I really want to use it to talk to just one or two other people (family members) and I'd set it up for them on dedicated computers (Beaglebone Black, Raspberry Pi, etc., that's why I want no GUI).  FLOSS licensing is a must, and it shouldn't have too many compile time dependencies.  It should also use a fixed bit rate speech codec, so it can be left running 24/7 (start and end calls by turning microphone on and off with a hardware switch) with the same data rate observable at all times, so it's impossible to tell by monitoring the ciphertext channel whether a conversation is taking place at a given time.  If there is some NAT traversal stuff that can allow peer to peer connections then I'd use that, but I can set up a VPS as a full-cone relay if need be.

Eric1212

Verified Provider
No, it is insecure, has no real encryption out of the box, and you need a license after 32 users.
No, you can enable encryption on the TS3 server. No license is required for VPSBoard, even more than 32 users. 

zionvps

Verified Provider
Have you guys ever heard about 123flashchat?

its a nice one for basic things and uses flash

amuck-landowner