amuck-landowner

Bash Remote Exploit (https://securityblog.redhat.com/2014/09/24/bash-specially-crafted-environment-v

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I've removed the PoC - please don't post that stuff in public :)

That's lame.

It was a test code, not a working way to exploit anything. 

You can remove my account from this forum. Thanks.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
That's lame.

It was a test code, not a working way to exploit anything. 

You can remove my account from this forum. Thanks.
What happened boss?   Someone prune your message due to perception of it leading to a rm -rf 'ing of the interwebs?

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
I look forward to updating every server that runs bash... eh all of them.

Fortunately this doesn't seem to exploitable under standard server scenario's without a service which allows for the setting of environment variables to specific values (rare) such as SSH access. Atleast based on my understanding.

Update Time....

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I look forward to updating every server that runs bash... eh all of them.

Fortunately this doesn't seem to exploitable under standard server scenario's without a service which allows for the setting of environment variables to specific values (rare) such as SSH access. Atleast based on my understanding.

Update Time....
I would hold off until they release an update that patches the exploit. The recent update didn't fix it completely.

Darwin

Just saw the unedited version of this topic, wasn't the PoC doing almost the same shit the code posted by redhat does?(which, btw, is currently linked in this topic title)  :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:

gxbfxvar

Just saw the unedited version of this topic, wasn't the PoC doing almost the same shit the code posted by redhat does?(which, btw, is currently linked in this topic title)  :huh:
I also saw the unedited version and PoC shown there by OP was pretty harmless. In addition, bash isn't suid binary and running it on your account limits the damage to what you can access by yourself.

Kris

Yes, and due to stupidity we lost one of the bright members of the forum.

Good job, dumbass. (Looks at Martin)

Wintereise

While the fact that it wasn't much of a PoC was true, him flipping shit on it being removed largely based on a mistake is also a problem.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff

Well aren't you the smart little cookie.

Next time any code is thrown up as PoC I'll leave it well alone and we can all try it against your systems.

I'm not going to dance around and try any code myself or analyse it to see what it can and can't do. If there's an exploit out there and someone posts up PoC code in relation to it I'll remove it.

I see people are just using this as an opportunity to moan again despite people saying the same code is listed in the link from RH. Trying to protect the wider community and people throw their arms up, chuck their toys and dummies out of the pram and storm off. Diddums.

KS_Samuel

Verified Provider
Considering the sort of people we find in this community. Hiding the PoC is the right thing to do in my opinion. While it won't stop them finding it, it's a bit of a deterrent.

No names being mentioned because you all know who they are.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
A self-proclaimed guru of everything cries foul and lets slip the dogs of butthurt after a moderator censors part of his post.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions indeed, but at *most* Martin's actions called for a response of "Not cool man, it wasn't actually an issue, let me show you why" - not a GVH dramatantrum.  Props to Monk for not threatening to go grab a butter knife over the issue.. but "delete my account"?  Did you forget that you're not in the daycare anymore?  FFS man, most of your stories about your experience would place you being mid-30s or so - try acting like it. 

amuck-landowner