amuck-landowner

Learn Node.js for €100! (~5 hours of one-on-one tutoring)

joepie91

I've been doing Node.js code review and tutoring for a while now, and I figured I'd try my hand at running a promo.

So, for the coming week, I'm offering five hours of Node.js tutoring for only €100 (about $113 at current exchange rates).

That's €20 per hour, a 20%-60% discount over my usual rates of €25-€50! :)

In these five hours, I'll be getting you up to speed with Node.js - you'll learn all the basics you need to get started with it, and find your way around. The tutoring is one-on-one, so you get 100% of the attention and time, and you can ask any questions you have in the process.

This offer is valid until June 24, 2015.

What you will be doing and learning

We'll go through the basics of Node.js, Express, and Jade. You'll build a very simple 'real-world web application' - for example, a to-do list, a shoutbox, a blog, or anything similarly basic that you might feel like building.

By the time we're done, you will have a basic working application, and a good foundation to start building more complex projects.

The different topics we'll address:

• Setting things up (installing Node.js, creating a new project, searching for and installing modules)
  • Javascript and Node.js mechanics (callbacks/async, error handling, promises, creating modules, prototypical inheritance)
  • Express.js (Express.js itself, Jade, common Express.js middleware)
  • Databases (PostgreSQL, Knex)
  • Anything else that might come up while building your small project.
Requirements

• Motivation to learn.
  • A code editor (some good options are Brackets, Geany, Notepad++, etc.)
  • The ability to access GitHub Gist; if you are in China, you may need a proxy.
  • A basic understanding of HTML and Javascript syntax (not strictly required, but without this prior knowledge, we probably won't be able to finish in 5 hours).
  • A basic understanding of how to operate a terminal/commandline.
You can use any operating system, but keep in mind that Windows can cause problems with Node.js sometimes - you will need to install Visual Studio, not all Node.js modules might work out of the box, and Windows has some issues with long paths. If you have the ability to work/test on a Linux or OS X system, that's preferable.

A database will be provided, you won't have to set up PostgreSQL yourself (although it's advisable to learn this at a later point, of course).

Price

€100 for 5 hours. If you meet the requirements listed above, it shouldn't take longer than that. Note that this must be paid upfront. You can pay through Bitcoin, PayPal, or SEPA transfer.

If you already know the basics of Node.js, you may also use the 5 hours for other Node.js-related tutoring - however, keep in mind that I can't guarantee we'll be entirely finished within those 5 hours. I'm also still available for other work at my usual rate :)

Alright, where do I sign up?!

Simply send me a PM on here, e-mail me at [email protected], or talk to me on XMPP ([email protected]) or IRC (joepie91 on Freenode)!

joepie91

Just wanting to clarify, as this seems to have confused some, and I can't edit my post:

You don't need to have experience with programming, this is for both beginners and more experienced developers!

As long as you understand the basics of HTML and JS syntax, you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

joepie91

Sounds great. Do you use skype or something else for the one-to-one mentoring?
I don't use Skype, at all - not only is it proprietary, it also constantly locks up on Linux, without showing it in any way, so it could have been disconnected for days before you notice. It's basically unusable... and hasn't been fixed for over a year.

I generally use IRC or XMPP for this (the latter takes like 5-10 minutes to get up and running, if you don't already use it). Screensharing, if necessary, can be done through TeamViewer - but I've not really found that necessary yet. Tutoring like this is largely text-based anyway, and often Gists will suffice for showing a piece of code.

willie

I tried out Jitsi Meet ( http://meet.jit.si/)a week or so ago and it was actually pretty good, at least with my friend's Chrome browser (I use Firefox but an older version that Jitsi doesn't support).  I don't see any reason to use Skype. 

joepie91

you should try this via a cloud ide where you can actually share code etc..
I'd rather not. These "cloud IDEs" are a terrible idea when writing actual software, so it's not really a good idea to teach with them either. I'd rather teach people to use the right tools off the bat.

amuck-landowner