amuck-landowner

... / DDoS protected Canadian VPS from $11.11 / OVZ / Unmetered bandwidth / IPv6 / 1 to 9 cores

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Ellipsis Node hosts unmanaged virtual private servers via OVH in Beauharnois, QC. Here are some new offers for July!

Bandwidth is either metered (burstable to 1Gbps on a shared port) or unmetered (100Mbps), your choice.

Necessary falsehood

1 Core

1TB or 100Mbps Unmetered

11GB HDD

111MB RAM

111MB VSwap

$11.11 / year

Platonism

2 Cores

2TB or 100Mbps Unmetered

22GB HDD

222MB RAM

222MB VSwap

$12.22 / year

Image of the line

3 Cores

3TB or 100Mbps Unmetered

33GB HDD

333MB RAM

333MB VSwap

$13.33 / year

Logical construction

4 Cores

4TB or 100Mbps Unmetered

44GB HDD

444MB RAM

444MB VSwap

$4.44 / quarter

$14.44 / year

Cosmology

5 Cores

5TB or 100Mbps Unmetered

55GB HDD

555MB RAM

555MB VSwap

$5.55 / quarter

$15.55 / year

Basic action

6 Cores

6TB or 100Mbps Unmetered

66GB HDD

666MB RAM

666MB VSwap

$6.66 / quarter

$16.66 / year

Darwinism

7 Cores

7TB or 100Mbps Unmetered

77GB HDD

777MB RAM

777MB VSwap

$7.77 / quarter

$17.77 / year

Logic

8 Cores

8TB or 100Mbps Unmetered

88GB HDD

888MB RAM

888MB VSwap

$8.88 / quarter

$18.88 / year

Contingent truth

9 Cores

9TB or 100Mbps Unmetered

99GB HDD

999MB RAM

999MB VSwap

$9.99 / quarter

$19.99 / year
Specs? E5-1620 & E5-1650 servers with SATA RAID 1 HDD and a third drive reserved for backups. OpenVZ virtualization. Every plan comes with 1 IPv4, SolusVM and lots of OS to choose from.

What do you mean by 'unmanaged'? See http://ellipsisno.de/terms/#nonintervention. At the same time there are multiple techs standing by and I'm often willing to attempt 'best effort' support.

9 cores? As in shared 'logical cores'.

DDoS protection? OVH's anti-DDoS mitigation.

How does it work? In the event of an attack, OVH 'vacuums up' belligerent traffic into its mitigation infrastructure, absorbing it entirely, while simultaneously allowing for non-offensive connections to carry on as if nothing had happened.

Backups? Included at no extra cost and taken nightly.

Extra IPv4? $9 / year or $0.75 / month. American IPs are available upon request. IPv6 = free!

Can I pay monthly? Yep, it's $3.33 per month for every plan.

Is X allowed? See the Terms.

Test IP/file? 167.114.135.46

Payment gateways? PayPal, BitPay and 2Checkout.

Why Ellipsis Node? In business since 2013, stable servers, no bad reviews and a 30 day money back guarantee. Why not?

Further inquiries? PM or [email protected]. Tailor-made plans (i.e. > 999MB RAM) are available via http://ellipsisno.de/vps/.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Source: http://ellipsisno.de/terms/

Seems rather harsh, no? 
That background color...

Assuming this is the problem part:

"f) Ellipsis Node will not do business with or provide support to anyone using 'Barracuda Central' as an intermediary for their email communications."

He had that issue with Barracuda and their delisting dance.   I support any provider refusing to sell to anyone for any reason.

Was there something else harsh in there?

@HN-Matt planning a new website?

Tyler

That background color...

Assuming this is the problem part:

"f) Ellipsis Node will not do business with or provide support to anyone using 'Barracuda Central' as an intermediary for their email communications."

He had that issue with Barracuda and their delisting dance.   I support any provider refusing to sell to anyone for any reason.

Was there something else harsh in there?

@HN-Matt planning a new website?
I support providers refusing to sell to clients but not for any reason. No one should refuse service to customers based on race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, or other protected facets of identity.

While the right to refuse service is nice, it ends at the point of discrimination

In other news, the rest of the ToS was pretty standard from what I saw. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I support providers refusing to sell to clients but not for any reason. No one should refuse service to customers based on race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, or other protected facets of identity.

While the right to refuse service is nice, it ends at the point of discrimination

In other news, the rest of the ToS was pretty standard from what I saw. 
Only way I can tell about your appearance is if I ask for your papers comrade.  Shops that doc search like that meh, liability hell.  Deal with this in real life with hiring docs from employees.  Seriously, whole process to comply with mandates by law and per contract is bad and short sighted.  Most companies are floating docs bi-directionally in unsecure 3rd party systems like Gmail.  This includes the employees sending their fax-like copies of docs.  Doc checks shouldn't be going on.  In hosting world, you all scare me with such docs.

Race, color, religion, national origin or disability are the only protected wide forms of discrimination prohibition.  I don't recommend going there in this business or most others.  There are times and places such happens because such folks are not a good fit for the work.  Can't have Homer working the nuclear plant and he's off praying during his shift.

Yeppers, the Barracuda issue was a rough one.  I can't blame the guy  for doing his thing and saying no there.   Won't have any impact... but....

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
While the right to refuse service is nice, it ends at the point of discrimination.
You linked to an explanation of US laws which aren't applicable to the ellipsisno.de TOS.  Of course  there is no way for anyone to know that ellipsisno.de is a Canadian business and the TOS is (presumably) governed by Canadian law since it is not stated in the TOS

<--strong hint to all providers:  to protect your asses somewhat add a choice of law, venue, jurisdiction clause to your TOS.-->

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler

You linked to an explanation of US laws which aren't applicable to the ellipsisno.de TOS.  Of course  there is no way for anyone to know that ellipsisno.de is a Canadian business and the TOS is (presumably) governed by Canadian law since it is not stated in the TOS
Good call. It was just an assumption on my end; surely Canada has anti-discrimination laws.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
surely Canada has anti-discrimination laws.
It  has both federal  (Canadian Human Rights Act) and provincial anti-discrimination laws.

The federal law prohibits:

Prohibited grounds of discrimination
  • 3. (1) For all purposes of this Act, the prohibited grounds of discrimination are race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability and conviction for an offence for which a pardon has been granted or in respect of which a record suspension has been ordered.
  • Marginal note:Idem
    (2) Where the ground of discrimination is pregnancy or child-birth, the discrimination shall be deemed to be on the ground of sex.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Source: http://ellipsisno.de/terms/

Seems rather harsh, no?
Harsher than the nonsense encountered in ?

@Tyler it's not that I want to eschew business with those who use Barracuda, but considering what I've experienced, I can't be certain their manipulations won't get in the way of future email communications. Rather than taking the chance of future disruptions, I've chosen to sidestep their idiocy for now. What if I'm hit with more false positive blockades from them in the future? Do you think I would look forward to suddenly being unable to communicate with a client should that event reoccur?

I don't refuse sales based on any of the above. Or at least I've never been put in a situation where I've had to consider such a refusal before. What does any of that have to do with Barracuda being an unresponsive and untrustworthy RBL?

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
I've updated the ToS. ;)

vpsBoard
There is a Fee of $1000 for making 5 or more posts in an Ellipsis Node thread on vpsBoard if you have not yet purchased a vps.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
P.S. Kind of hilarious to suggest 'anti-discrimination laws' here after what they did. As if I were the one being discriminatory!

Good call. It was just an assumption on my end; surely Canada has anti-discrimination laws.
@Tyler I think you're in the wrong thread. Put @DomainBop in the carrying case and go throw the book at Barracuda or something.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
<--strong hint to all providers:  to protect your asses somewhat add a choice of law, venue, jurisdiction clause to your TOS.-->
I'm not a lawyer and wasn't aware of this, but I often edit the ToS so thanks for bringing it up.

My first thought would be, doesn't http://ellipsisno.de/terms/#liability negate the need for such a clause (...in at least most circumstances)?

That background color...
Come on, really? How can you complain about colours that aren't static? Amusing that so many will forget to complain about colours until they become dynamic! :)

Tyler

P.S. Kind of hilarious to suggest 'anti-discrimination laws' here after what they did. As if I were the one being discriminatory!

@Tyler I think you're in the wrong thread. Put @DomainBop in the carrying case and go throw the book at Barracuda or something.
Re-read. I wasn't suggesting that you were the one discriminating. Note that I was speaking to drmike, not you, about discrimination and right to refuse service.

amuck-landowner