amuck-landowner

[EXCLUSIVE] TortoiseLabs - 512MB RAM / 30GB DISK / 1000M UNMETERED - $6.75/month

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
TortoiseLabs is pleased to offer an exclusive deal on our TortoiseCloud VPS services for vpsBoard readers.

We have recently released a streamlined VPS management experience, which you can see here.

Service at a Glance

• Locations: Los Angeles, Miami, Montreal, and London!
  • Services allowed: any service that is legal in the US and local region where the VPS is deployed other than mass email
  • DNS services: rDNS settable via trouble ticket (allows us to keep a close eye on abuse), full DNS zone hosting across a worldwide DNS cluster
  • Storage: ZFS-based volume pools with caching and prefetching
  • Serial console / VNC: both available over WebSockets, JS-based Serial Console available in the panel, or write your own CLI-based console using our APIs.  VNC client coming soon!
  • Virtualization: Xen PV/HVM options available and switchable via the panel!
  • Activation: instant following payment (provided you pass our automated fraud checks)
  • Control panel: Fully open source!
Basic Offer

• 512MB RAM
  • 512MB Swap
  • 30GB Storage
  • 8 VCPU cores (fair-share, weighted by RAM)
  • IPs: 1 IPv4, 1 IPv6 /128
  • Price: $6.75/month (10% off)
  • ORDER NOW: Follow this link or use coupon code VPSBOARD10OFF
Speedtest and Ping IPs

Any questions?  PM me or reply to this thread!

jarland

The ocean is digital
Impressed so far. A note about the bench.sh run below, disk IO is less than the LEB/LET crowd prefers to see on OpenVZ but this is Xen and they claim a far lower capacity than a lot of the people here might be used to seeing. I'm a fan. Network is very nice.

CPU model : Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz
Number of cores : 8
CPU frequency : 3500.164 MHz
Total amount of ram : 495 MB
Total amount of swap : 511 MB
System uptime : 0 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 35.4MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 65.1MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 29.2MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.90MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 7.32MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.94MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.53MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 11.4MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 12.2MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 33.0MB/s
I/O speed : 77.7 MB/s

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Impressed so far. A note about the bench.sh run below, disk IO is less than the LEB/LET crowd prefers to see on OpenVZ but this is Xen and they claim a far lower capacity than a lot of the people here might be used to seeing. I'm a fan. Network is very nice.
@jarland I/O for a DomU (guest) is about 66% of Dom0 (host) for Xen as a generat rule of thumb. You have to also consider that are people are also using the node, so the I/O is fair.

jarland

The ocean is digital
@jarland I/O for a DomU (guest) is about 66% of Dom0 (host) for Xen as a generat rule of thumb. You have to also consider that are people are also using the node, so the I/O is fair.
Good info. I won't pretend much knowledge of Xen operations. Truth be told I think this might be my first Xen VPS...

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Good info. I won't pretend much knowledge of Xen operations. Truth be told I think this might be my first Xen VPS...
@jarland Xen artificially limits I/O per VPS so that every VPS has enough of it. It's one of the reasons, amongst others, why allot of people still love Xen :)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
So...  I will admit to this.

Jarland gave me a pretty nice sneak peek at the tortoiselabs VPS and systems, and I am pretty damn close to getting one.  I mean the control panel itself is pretty nifty, while at the same time the VM seems to be fantastic!  This just makes it even more tempting now.  

I hate you.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
We have a throttler on the I/O to ensure a runaway VPS cannot do much harm.  The "rescheduled requests" part of the graph is I/O that is rescheduled due to the throttler.

Do you have IPv6 in all locations, and can you provide more on request?
Yes, as much IPv6 /128s as you want.

Any smaller packages 128 or 256 even?
We are debating offering this under a special brand for low-end VPS.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
As an aside, we have limited stock in LA at the moment (new nodes have been installed, but unfortunately some drunk decided to run into the local Cox cabinet, so I am working off of LTE tethering right now) -- it should be resolved tomorrow.

We are launching Dallas tomorrow and Chicago next week.

jarland

The ocean is digital
As an aside, we have limited stock in LA at the moment (new nodes have been installed, but unfortunately some drunk decided to run into the local Cox cabinet, so I am working off of LTE tethering right now) -- it should be resolved tomorrow.

We are launching Dallas tomorrow and Chicago next week.
May be requesting a location swap for that Dallas goodness. Keep up the good work!

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I'd switch to Chicago.

And thank Jarland for my purchase.  Damn guy convinced me to buy one.  I like your operation!  

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
May be requesting a location swap for that Dallas goodness. Keep up the good work!
Just to make sure, you do allow location swaps, right? Also, do you have test IPs/files/links for Dallas?

Edit: Can't order. I keep getting this:

Unanticipated application error

There has been an unanticipated application error. Engineers have been notified of the error and it should be fixed shortly. Please try again later.

...As opposed to an anticipated error.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Just to make sure, you do allow location swaps, right? Also, do you have test IPs/files/links for Dallas?

Edit: Can't order. I keep getting this:

Unanticipated application error

There has been an unanticipated application error. Engineers have been notified of the error and it should be fixed shortly. Please try again later.

...As opposed to an anticipated error.
What region are you ordering in?  We've been throwing OutOfStockExceptions all night.  :)

(Yeah yeah, I should probably have an error page for that.  It'll be in the next build of Cloudware for sure.)

Main LA and Canada stock are pending on some IPs being routed, right now.

Speedtest for Dallas is up: http://dal.speedtest.tortois.es/1gb.bin -- but it's not quite production ready yet.  Stock is only available for internal VMs at the moment (smokeping/speedtest, dns server, etc).

Also, yes, we allow location swaps, just order a new VPS, and then open a ticket with the invoice number saying you want to swap the old VPS for the new one and we'll get you set up.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Here's what bench.sh looks like for Dallas, running on a Debian 7 box:

root@localhost:~# bash bench.sh
CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz
Number of cores : 8
CPU frequency : 3500.158 MHz
Total amount of ram : 495 MB
Total amount of swap : 511 MB
System uptime : 1 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 57.7MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 11.5MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 59.4MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.33MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 1.56MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 1.56MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 949KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 3.69MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4.02MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 5.13MB/s
I/O speed : 103 MB/s

As you can see, there's still some network route quality issues to deal with.  We'll be working on it over the next week.

amuck-landowner