amuck-landowner

Earplugs... yep needed

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Glad to see I'm not the only one finding 500+$ utility bills absurd.  I keep our AC at around 65-68F all through the summer (in Louisiana, mind you) and it's very rare that the bill breaks 200$.  Does Florida just have a dearth of power options?  Or is it turning into one of those silly green states where people think spending more money on the same resources somehow "helps the planet"?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Glad to see I'm not the only one finding 500+$ utility bills absurd.  I keep our AC at around 65-68F all through the summer (in Louisiana, mind you) and it's very rare that the bill breaks 200$.  Does Florida just have a dearth of power options?  Or is it turning into one of those silly green states where people think spending more money on the same resources somehow "helps the planet"?
It's all the life support systems.

Francisco

bauhaus

Look at me, I have servers!

</op>
rack2009.jpg

No he dont, Theo has servers :)

Last edited by a moderator:

KS_Phillip

Verified Provider
I've got half a dozen servers, and a couple jbod shelves, not to mention all the desktop pc's that are running 24/7.  All in all it adds up to a power bill of about $45 every 3 months, can't complain :D

nunim

VPS Junkie
I don't even want to know what kind of so-called "Christmas lights" he's into.  But normal lights don't cost an extra $300/mo. 

This is a very strange thread :p
Aside from a few of those inflatables, it's just regular Christmas lights but when you have 30,000 or more, they use quite  a bit of juice.

Power isn't cheap in FL, although it is cheaper then in the NYC area, we just use a ton of it.  We only have one electric utility for the most part, FPL, and we pay all sorts of Hurricane taxes & fees.  The AC has to work extra hard because not only is it really hot, it's 100% humidity so it's working overtime to remove all the humidity from the air. 

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I was paying near $300 a month in FL, dropped it down to ~$85 when we moved to CO. Almost makes up for paying 2x more for a 2b2b apartment than my 4b2b mortgage.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
The AC has to work extra hard because not only is it really hot, it's 100% humidity so it's working overtime to remove all the humidity from the air. 
Aye, hence why I mentioned my location in Louisiana... just as hot and humid here :p  Personally, I think your utility companies are soaking your leg and commenting on the rain.

manacit

Up here in Seattle we have cheap power (4.75c/kWh) and no need for heat or AC the majority of the year. I think my power bill for the last couple months was < $40? 

nunim

VPS Junkie
Aye, hence why I mentioned my location in Louisiana... just as hot and humid here :p  Personally, I think your utility companies are soaking your leg and commenting on the rain.
*Shrug* I'm up in Vancouver now so power is very cheap, but if I remember right power in FL was about 0.115/KWh which isn't too far from the national average.   

NodeKid

Try living in the UK, I'm not paying over the odds yet I'm still at ~£0.14 kWh (~$0.22) and it's set to hike pretty soon.

Danthe

Alright, I officially have too many servers. A few poweredge HP servers, supermicro, etc. totally to 7 servers, sitting in my basement running 24x7.

All have a raid array with minimum 4 drives. Setting up a new one right now (Poweredge) and tomorrow setting up a new firewall..

Could it get any louder....
Oh, I'd also like to point out that HP does not make PowerEdges... That's Dell. Are you thinking of Proliants, or are you just cracked out?

Reactions: scv

Eric1212

Verified Provider
On-peak hydro in Ontario CA is around $0.13 per kWh... I guess "green" power is expensive :p

Edit: to be clear: I'm talking about Ontario CANADA, not Ontario California 

amuck-landowner