amuck-landowner

GVH suspended after minor use of 100TB plan

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Hello sir,

Thank You for sharing your experiences. I know that this thread has been closed in it's early stage however I've requested Martin to reopen it as we don't wish to hide from our problems and we wish to work with you to resolve this issue.

I've recently stepped down in my frequency of supervision of GreenValueHost and was not aware that this incident happened until this thread was brought to my attention. I checked in with my team and it turns out that one of our new supervisors has been doing internal audits of our VPS hosting nodes and have singled out your virtual server for abuse as you were found to be performing tasks in which the supervisor considered unnecessarily wasteful and inconsiderate to other clients in the virtualization environment.

If you would like to email [email protected], one of our quality assurance and/or relations personnel will get back to you and reach a final resolution/agreement with you on this issue as soon as possible. Since I was not involved in this incident, I do not have much knowledge of the situation at hand however I have assigned this thread to a few of our managers to look after and public questions will be answered by them in this thread as soon as they have a chance.

I still do recommend emailing us though however as we really would like to work with you and get to the bottom of this to ensure your satisfaction. I can assure you that the response that you have received, "It's obvious that you are just abusing the resources here and not actually use the VPS for any legitimate reason." is not considered an appropriate way for one of our staff members to act and I will re-address the issue of treating our clients with utmost courtesy to our staff to make sure that this does not happen again.

If anyone would like to contact me directly, you may do so by emailing me at [email protected] however some of our other managers will be available in this thread shortly to assist.

Thank You,

Jonathan.

I know you're trying to turn a new leaf; however; 'supervisors', 'quality assurance and/or relations personnel' and 'our managers'.  The bullshit train just keeps on running!

Last edited by a moderator:

vRozenSch00n

I'm not here to thrash GVH as I don't know much about them.  I think it should be a lesson for them to prepare their nodes or disclose expected usage speeds before offering a plan that consists of 4GB RAM, 250GB space, and 100TB of bandwidth as I saw that trying to use any of the limits resulted in some sort of cap or complaint.   I figured this would be the case prior to signing up, as with experience in this business, it was far too good to be true, but I think it is still important to show the results of my usage.
Somehow the plan offered tickles many of us to proof whether they can really pull it out or not in a spirit of curiosity (supposing GVH have new techniques which proven not to be the case).  :) 

This reminds me of the curiosity when SSD cached drive enters the low end market for the first time.  :)

tmzVPS-Daniel

Verified Provider
Oh boy, here comes another massive thread :)

@GVH-Jon I have absolutely nothing against you, but I recommend you take my advice. I don't care if you have 100 staff, that is good for you, but stop posting in this forum or any other form about things related to your company. Only answer to clients and/or potential clients and do your thing. 

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent."

- Daniel :)

Jack

@GVH-Jon I have absolutely nothing against you, but I recommend you take my advice. I don't care if you have 100 staff, that is good for you, but stop posting in this forum or any other form about things related to your company. Only answer to clients and/or potential clients and do your thing. 

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent."

Do you run the WHT account? http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8580730&postcount=21

2013-02-28_1729.png

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The OP's situation sounds odd.  

The sort of use described and low throughput shouldn't be setting anything in normal monitoring off at any provider.

The bandwidth cap/shaping sounds like a hard set limit and frankly, I'd expect it in light of the mass attempts to  test these plans, use 100TB, etc.  Happy about it?  No.  But there is a realistic limit to use in multiple user environments where being choked by say a single gigabit NIC (if doing these plans, GVH needs bonded NICs at minimum).

Too many folks likely, saw, and took    or generally the offer has attracted more "misuse" than a functioning server would sustain.   At some point, to regulate the insanity and stem the blood flow, owners and admins have to clamp down.   Quite possible that for some reason Devon's account tripped over something or did so at the wrong time.  It happens.

I'll put out there, that yes, I am aware of at least one account at GVH on one of these plans that has collectively has network moved above 1TiB of data a day without ban/abuse/flagging.   That's 1/3rd of what it would take sustained to hit 100TB.

I am rather blah about unmetered, unlimited, etc.   They are effective marketing lures, but often very deceptive in nature.  Putting a high water mark of 100TB up compared to use, while caring about CPU, disk IO, etc. means the likelihood one could achieve that while playing within the rules takes a good bit time, thought, trial and error and a rather interesting use.

tmzVPS-Daniel

Verified Provider
Yep I sure do. I realized that there is no need to prove anything to anyone, that's why I am giving him advice. I've been through the same situation, I just stopped and continued doing my thing. 

tmzVPS-Daniel

Verified Provider

The sort of use described and low throughput shouldn't be setting anything in normal monitoring off at any provider.

The bandwidth cap/shaping sounds like a hard set limit and frankly, I'd expect it in light of the mass attempts to  test these plans, use 100TB, etc.  Happy about it?  No.  But there is a realistic limit to use in multiple user environments where being choked by say a single gigabit NIC (if doing these plans, GVH needs bonded NICs at minimum).

Too many folks likely, saw, and took    or generally the offer has attracted more "misuse" than a functioning server would sustain.   At some point, to regulate the insanity and stem the blood flow, owners and admins have to clamp down.   Quite possible that for some reason Devon's account tripped over something or did so at the wrong time.  It happens.

I'll put out there, that yes, I am aware of at least one account at GVH on one of these plans that has collectively has network moved above 1TiB of data a day without ban/abuse/flagging.   That's 1/3rd of what it would take sustained to hit 100TB.

I am rather blah about unmetered, unlimited, etc.   They are effective marketing lures, but often very deceptive in nature.  Putting a high water mark of 100TB up compared to use, while caring about CPU, disk IO, etc. means the likelihood one could achieve that while playing within the rules takes a good bit time, thought, trial and error and a rather interesting use.
Well said. 

k0nsl

Bad Goy
I raise you a Lincoln, tmzVPS-Daniel. REMEMBER: Lincoln was a lawyer and a good liar. And he said, it's better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it.  ;) 

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff

The bandwidth cap/shaping sounds like a hard set limit and frankly, I'd expect it in light of the mass attempts to test these plans, use 100TB, etc. Happy about it? No. But there is a realistic limit to use in multiple user environments where being choked by say a single gigabit NIC (if doing these plans, GVH needs bonded NICs at minimum).

Too many folks likely, saw, and took or generally the offer has attracted more "misuse" than a functioning server would sustain. At some point, to regulate the insanity and stem the blood flow, owners and admins have to clamp down. Quite possible that for some reason Devon's account tripped over something or did so at the wrong time. It happens.

I'll put out there, that yes, I am aware of at least one account at GVH on one of these plans that has collectively has network moved above 1TiB of data a day without ban/abuse/flagging. That's 1/3rd of what it would take sustained to hit 100TB.

I am rather blah about unmetered, unlimited, etc. They are effective marketing lures, but often very deceptive in nature. Putting a high water mark of 100TB up compared to use, while caring about CPU, disk IO, etc. means the likelihood one could achieve that while playing within the rules takes a good bit time, thought, trial and error and a rather interesting use.
Are you now working for GVH/Jon?

GVH-Nick

Hello everyone!

My name is Nicholas and I'm excited to be a part of this community!

I am currently employed in GreenValueHost's Executive Leadership Team as Vice President of Operations and I'll be more than happy to assist with any questions or concerns that anyone may have.

If you could please email [email protected] or email me directly at [email protected], I would love to get in touch with you and have this issue looked into as soon as possible.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Remember that GVH/Jon requires minimum 5 years experience in the field, a RHCE, and a willingness to accept title changes at any moment, all so they can earn what is probably less than minimum wage

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Hello everyone!

My name is Nicholas and I'm excited to be a part of this community!

I am currently employed in GreenValueHost's Executive Leadership Team as Vice President of Operations and I'll be more than happy to assist with any questions or concerns that anyone may have.

If you could please email [email protected] or email me directly at [email protected], I would love to get in touch with you and have this issue looked into as soon as possible.

Is that a damn prom photo?

serverian

Verified Provider
563265_439929596030380_1468240211_n.jpg

Mun

Never Forget
Sounds to me like he's starting to panic about overage fees from the owners.  I believe Mun is still running his torrent box... but he went in making it clear his usage would be legit - Jon can't afford to shitcan him without an excuse.  I'm curious if anyone else that signed up was able to keep their VM, or was everyone thrown out for "resource abuse"?

It is still running, http://192.3.31.219/  and you can check its uptime if you like.

If anyone wants to download some torrents you are more then welcome to.

https://nodeping.com/reports/uptime/rn6mowtb-r93r-4ux6-8dy6-m1089fzjpyvc

Mun

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Working for, no.  But if you consider mentoring someone and recommending they step back, breath, go for a jog, stop the employee head count stuff, focus, etc. then that could get mixed up.  

I have been in touch with Jon though semi-actively in the past < 24 hours. 

Some  folks were being rather nasty on IRC (yesterday) and that concerned other providers. I was asked to intervene and try to slow down the various issues (want 50 more GVH threads next week?)(want more emo Jon when the stress racks up?).

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
You may want to advise him a little better then as he thinks otherwise.

amuck-landowner