amuck-landowner

Help/Support with a free Dev VPS project

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Hi,

I save myself from the introduction.

As i'm already providing VPS to some projects i like and have enough infrastructure free currently (by scaling back some things) and some time to spare (by... other reasons, some will know) i'd like to roll this out a bit more properly. The name "dev" does *not* imply these are not permanent, and scaling afterwards is obviously something we/i try to work with the project owners (to sponsored dedicated or out with help from me/us to another ISP) when required.

I currently have a very stable setup in my colo for this, the VPS provided will be KVM based on a ZFS array (z2/3 of total 14 disks) with both read and write caching (on SSD), on request also smaller pure SSD (either redundant and ~200MB/s on mdadm or non-redundant and ~600MB/s), RAM as required, storage not an issue (up to TBs), IPs (IPv4 and IPv6) provided as required. Backup space (by NFS) provided by default as well. Servers are secured and not dependent on myself.

Now, i can't entirely do this alone so i'm looking for some help out on it, in special due to the free aspect and by already providing the HW :)

1.: Website/Design is not an issue so far, it will consist of informations about provided services as well as a contact form where some information about the project and references are requested.

2.: Security would be one point, i need someone 100% trusted to look over the node setup, modify where required and in general work around some security things, anyone?

3.: Help with a name or Domain (must be transferred, security reasons) would be nice also, i can't figure something out :(

4.: Some small KVM panel implementation maybe, though i use Debian as host (with libvirt and xml files, obviously) so this might not be that easy to implement, maybe also a small "customer area" refitted for that purpose and some general info (VPS, IPs etc.). Limiting of CPU needs some better implementation also.

If anyone has more ideas (or something to contribute, hardware, colo, servers (i provide IPs, not an issue).. everything) feel free to contact me or just post :)

Last edited by a moderator:

blergh

Verified Provider
I'd be interested in helping out i guess, but I'm not any webdev or security-wiz.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
You catched me with the "small KVM panel implementation" thing.

If you send me some sample configuration files and the list of defined parameters to change I would be able to try to write a small API.

A small web frontend could be done afterwards.

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Probably should use a libvirt API (i guess there is one for nearly any language), i use kvm-install to create the VPS and some wget magic in the OS (copy of disk images with a fixed IP for setup time, then wget setup script with rpl for network/hostname)

i write some info down shortly and will update here :)

EDIT, here: http://paste.ee/r/zZloV XML: http://paste.ee/p/WUDts

Last edited by a moderator:

William

pr0
Verified Provider
I have all recent Debian based distros (Ubuntu 10/12/13, Debian 6/7) and can mount any iso for install by VNC, not any issue at all.

amuck-landowner