amuck-landowner

LET Down?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
GVH certainly could survive away from CC.   Deals going on aren't anything special.  He's more than paying to cover the machine leasing they are doing with financing and the various other overheads (ping, power, etc.).  Overs on bandwidth consumption, I'd say in the CC spirit such is lax.  Meaning that's an advantage and how some of the prior stupid was able to happen (100TB VPS plans).

The market there is about the VPS pile though.  No way anyone wants to expand bottom line by mass selling real servers.  That is unless you sell at real rates.  Margins in CC land are too tight to grow place on dedi sales.  Not enough enterprise folks being victimized to subsidize the skid buyers.

Only so many ways to dice an onion up :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
They had some skid running rampant in #LowEndBox on freenode earlier today that kept saying he was doing it. I take it he was banned from LET.

Unfortunately, LowEndTalk and LowEndBox are sort of the target market and demographic for skids and what not looking for $2 VPSes.

At this point I'd imagine Colocrossing should just move the site to a different host, lots of people offering filtering at all spectrum of the price range. If they're unable to tank the flood, move it off their network and host it with someone who can. I'm sure they would tell the same to you if you were renting a dedicated server from them that was being hit often, so I don't see why they don't just do that themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

trewq

Verified Provider
At this point I'd imagine Colocrossing should just move the site to a different host, lots of people offering filtering at all spectrum of the price range. If they're unable to tank the flood, move it off their network and host it with someone who can. I'm sure they would tell the same to you if you were renting a dedicated server from them that was being hit often, so I don't see why they don't just do that themselves.
As a provider with their own "data centre" I don't know why they don't have DDoS migration for their own service. I mean, I can understand them not offering it to clients due to making themselves a target but for their own sites, it just gives a bad impression of how much they actually care.

EDIT: I wrote this post on the bus with a screaming kid in front of me. Excuse the bad sentence structure.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Someone took the little blue pill and got it up again, LET that is.

These attacks surely are a PITA.  But when you own the site and are the provider and you have all that down time, yeah says a lot about what to expect and what happens if  a client is a target.

Yesterday was downstream customers randomly offline for hours.  Today the Lowend sites tanked.  What's on the schedule for Freaky Friday?

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
As a provider with their own "data centre"
I must have missed this.  When did they get their own data center? The people who run datacentermap.com must be CC haters because they don't have them listed.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
They could not pay me enough to give up my integrity to run that site. My scruples and honor would get in the way and I would have to tell the owners to go get bent. There is not enough money in the world for me to condone that behavior.

they have a fearless leader Kossen.  He's a waffler though.  Waffles between knowing and doing right and being Biloh's paycheck whore.

I wonder how much he gets paid... is it public knowledge? I hope it's worth it!

Whether or not two community members were involved / using the same IP / etc.  meh, I suspect they weren't and that was cover BS.  Look how they were unbanned and matter silently circled down the drain.
That was all a lie and clearly no one had interest in getting to the bottom of it. The silences speak volumes.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
What exactly is the point of paying for a CloudFlare plan with DDoS protection when you advertise your IP address to every Tom, Skid, and Harry?

CloudFlare IPs for www.lowendtalk.com

dig www.lowendtalk.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.4-rpz2+rl005.12-P1 <<>> www.lowendtalk.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 22255
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.lowendtalk.com.        IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.lowendtalk.com.    300    IN    A    141.101.113.78
www.lowendtalk.com.    300    IN    A    190.93.241.77
www.lowendtalk.com.    300    IN    A    190.93.242.77
www.lowendtalk.com.    300    IN    A    190.93.243.77
www.lowendtalk.com.    300    IN    A    141.101.112.78

;; Query time: 18 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.10.1#53(192.168.10.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Oct 17 17:39:16 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 116
Real IP for lowendtalk.com

dig lowendtalk.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.4-rpz2+rl005.12-P1 <<>> lowendtalk.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 57581
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;lowendtalk.com.            IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
lowendtalk.com.        300    IN    A    198.23.188.36

;; Query time: 17 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.10.1#53(192.168.10.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Oct 17 17:40:33 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 48
Sheer f**king genius.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Bahaha @DomainBop  

I just noticed the same myself - I never type www - anything... so saw the real IP there.

It is funnier.. cause they are pushing IP out to public in other places and have been for who knows how long.

AuroraZero

I wonder how much he gets paid... is it public knowledge? I hope it's worth it!

I don't care how much he is paid. Money is not everything in this world and more people need to learn this lesson as far as I am concerned.

Bahaha @DomainBop  

I just noticed the same myself - I never type www - anything... so saw the real IP there.

It is funnier.. cause they are pushing IP out to public in other places and have been for who knows how long.
Hey now don't forget they have geniuses working for them. I may not be the smartest tack in the drawer but I can certainly read and follow some directions. I keep forgetting they do not teach reading, writing, and arithmetic in schools anymore though.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
 I don't care how much he is paid. Money is not everything in this world and more people need to learn this lesson as far as I am concerned.
I was curious on the condition of it already being public knowledge. If not, then I don't really care enough to know either.

He seems to spend a lot of time moderating, though, so I do hope it's worth it.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
'da cluster is dead!​
Can't recall the last time I saw a 'cluster' have more downtime than free website hosts.  Perhaps someone needs to inform them that simply cramming their little site CVPS style onto a box with 400 other VMs doesn't make it a redundant cluster, just a clusterfuck.

Or maybe don't tell lies about a setup if repeated problems point to the exact opposite.

amuck-landowner