amuck-landowner

LET Down?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Interesting:

2014-10-18_210230.png
Did Kossen call the internet police on someone?  What do we dial on smartphones to reach the internet po-po? 812?

Last edited by a moderator:

AuroraZero

I thought joodle was leaving LE* anyways. Color me confused, or maybe that was just the kick message. I have almost given up trying to figure all of that place out.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well CF is definitely back up front...

I suspect the attacker either got bored or went broke.

Nice show of force and I'd say that was more downtime than the 2012 DDoS attacks were.

serverian

Verified Provider
Perhaps I'm missing something here... but why should pub or anyone else feel any kind of empathy over someone else's choices?  That'd be like telling someone not to pick on Jeff Dahmer because someone else they know made the bad choice of going to his house late one night.
People make "bad" choices. It's part of being human. You were with ColoCrossing for a long time as well. How would you feel when you couldn't reach them for an emergency remote hands task because some guy is ddosing their support portal? Would you just suck it up and wait for the attack to end (if ever) and tell yourself that you deserved this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWOQWUZNVDQ

Munzy

People make "bad" choices. It's part of being human. You were with ColoCrossing for a long time as well. How would you feel when you couldn't reach them for an emergency remote hands task because some guy is ddosing their support portal? Would you just suck it up and wait for the attack to end (if ever) and tell yourself that you deserved this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWOQWUZNVDQ
Many providers here run there portal on separate networks to make sure this doesn't happen. They also add DDOS protection and other things to help keep support sites up, and for there good customers they have other non-take down methods of communication. I.e. twitter, facebook, etc. 

Not disagreeing with your point, but they could have made a few better choices. 

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Yes, people make bad choices.  They learn from them, and adapt.  The ones that refuse to learn from their own (or others') bad decisions are the ones to, as you say, 'deserved this'.

To appease your specific example - we have sufficient.. affiliations everywhere that we could've put someone on their doorstep if necessary.  Yes, we were with CC for some time (not a long time by any means), before all of the bullshit started.  It was a mess we saw coming, after becoming rather proficient in pattern recognition from dealing with other shoddy "DCs" in the past - and we were able to get out.

Now, to answer your question - if we were still stupid enough to remain with CC, or to sign back up with them despite full knowledge of everything that's happened the past few years?  Then yes, we would deserve to pay for making such a horrible choice.  Like I said, if you *KNOW* that Mike Jackson is your neighbor, you don't let your kids go over and play.  To put that outside the land of simile - if you are still willingly hosting with them, your clients deserve better.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Aye, true - but there's a bit of a difference between apathy and encouragement.  I can't bring myself to feel sorry for the folks suffering from CC's incompetence because... well, at this point they really should know better.  Doesn't mean I want to see them get hit, or celebrate the fact that they are.

tdale

Verified Provider
ColoCrossing has 24/7 phone support :) Even taking the portal down won't kill their support. I'm sure Jon or Alex would put a message up on the IVR saying "they know the portal is down and being worked on if you still need support press 1" It would be hard to saturate every link CC has in all the locations you are talking about over 100GBPS collectively or more. Its not as easy as most of you think.

serverian

Verified Provider
Now, to answer your question - if we were still stupid enough to remain with CC, or to sign back up with them despite full knowledge of everything that's happened the past few years?
Let's be honest. You still had ~3 months left with your contract and you were only going to move out when your contract ends. You decided to stay 3 more months even though you knew "everything that's happened". They wanted you out and they cancelled the contract, that's why you left early.

But the point here is that only a very very small amount of people know about what has happened. A customer of a sizable company like DediServe who uses ColoCrossing doesn't know anything about ColoCrossing. Why should they suffer?

Let's go a bit out of the frame and give an example of a very big upstream provider. As many of people in this industry knows, this provider has a very lax IP allocation policy. You can easily get lots of IPs from them by simply getting a small commit from them. And this provider doesn't forward abuse notices to their customers. So one can say, a small time spammer will have a good time by simply signing up with them. (I'm simply assuming that there is a little percentage of spammers who know about this, thank god.) So, should everyone (probably almost everyone in this world used them if they visited a website in their life) who uses them suffer?

lbft

Aye, true - but there's a bit of a difference between apathy and encouragement.  I can't bring myself to feel sorry for the folks suffering from CC's incompetence because... well, at this point they really should know better.  Doesn't mean I want to see them get hit, or celebrate the fact that they are.
Yet this squabble started when drmike clearly encouraged the attackers to hit a particular target, CC's billing.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Let's be honest. You still had ~3 months left with your contract and you were only going to move out when your contract ends. You decided to stay 3 more months even though you knew "everything that's happened". They wanted you out and they cancelled the contract, that's why you left early.
Err... No. We had a 2 year contract with them thats first year passed in August. A few weeks into the month Jon had called me. Jon was already fully aware that we were going to leave already. I still fully believe to this day he picked those months to try to force us to move in the snow. Thankfully the only snow we saw at that point was a few flakes the day pony & I both landed. The actual move days were all perfectly fine.

ColoCrossing has 24/7 phone support :)
And yet, a motherboard replacement took 18 hours to complete (on top of that, was completed incorrectly). Now, while this replacement was pending CVPS had been hacked literally the day before and while CC claimed they had put none of their own techs on to fix CVPS, why did it take 18 hours for a replacement?

Anyway, as others have said, DDoS is never the answer to anything. While I don't agree with a lot of their handling of things, them having to spend a week or two getting minimal sleep trying to cleanup these messes is completely retarded.

It's obvious at this point that there's a half dozen or so people flooding them on/off, unlikely to be related other than a shared interest in seeing them burn.

Francisco

serverian

Verified Provider
Err... No. We had a 2 year contract with them thats first year passed in August. A few weeks into the month Jon had called me. Jon was already fully aware that we were going to leave already. I still fully believe to this day he picked those months to try to force us to move in the snow. Thankfully the only snow we saw at that point was a few flakes the day pony & I both landed. The actual move days were all perfectly fine.
Well, I don't really remember everything but still one can still say you wanted stayed there until it's convenient for you to move, no?

That really doesn't matter too much, either. My point was, there are lots of companies people do business with even though they don't like their morals. It's what professional world (separating morals and business relationship) forces people to do that. For example, how many people out there even care if the owner of a company they do business is a jackass if they get what they pay for and satisfied with the service they receive?

amuck-landowner