amuck-landowner

Meet Don, a Half Eaten Pie and a vpsBoard moderator. Ask him stuff.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Eaten Pig's Blood soup (basically those chunks except in a soup form).  Not bad really.   I had cow's feet yesterday for dinner.  

Chicken's intenstine?  Ehh I don't think I'd enjoy that.  Last year when I was here in Korea I did eat dog...

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Did it once.  Wasn't the biggest fan.  You have to be careful with live octopus though.  If you screw up/don't chew enough (especially since it's pretty slimy) you could theoretically choke and die from eating it.  

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
YOU HAVE ASKED!  I HAVE DELIVERED!  

Remember, YOU CANNOT UN-SEE THIS PICTURE.

W2crfw.png

I do enjoy a nice suit.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Pie man rocking the pin stripes.  Looks good on you.

So you ate dog.  Is that a delicacy or typical in Korea?  Does it show up on menus or does it require special words with the chef/staff?

I know of a story nearby me in the big city where a place became really popular for a summer for their ribs.  The city ahh, colored folks love their ribs and chicken bones.   Turns out the Asian operated (which should have been an odd omen of sorts) was closed after authorities discovered the marvelous meat was dog.  Me I didn't see it, but my  good neighbors stand by the story and speak to this day highly of those ribs.

Heck, now if we could deal with the kittens and cat in a similar efficient manner. Too many strays.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Or chicken intestine barbecue?

iSaw.jpg
 I'd eat both of those, if cooked properly. Used to eat at a Vietnamese restaurant and could get horse blood 'cubes' in your Pho, I thnk. (Soup) Forget what it's called. Tried it, it's... okay. Flavored by the soup. Had Tripe, the lining of a cow's stomach at the same place also in 'Pho' (or whatever) .

I'd try just about any food once. Have had cow brain, chicken hearts and gizzards, rabbit, snapping turtle, squirrel, and a ton of deer. Grandpa was a country boy with a cabin and a lake. Ate a lot of things that could be caught in the lake or in the nearby woods as a kid. Also have tried squid and crocodile.

If cooked right and mixed in with other things, probably anything could be good.

YOU HAVE ASKED!  I HAVE DELIVERED!  

Remember, YOU CANNOT UN-SEE THIS PICTURE.

W2crfw.png

I do enjoy a nice suit.
 I prefer the G+ hunting photo, lol. Every man should own a suit or three!

So you ate dog.  Is that a delicacy or typical in Korea?  Does it show up on menus or does it require special words with the chef/staff?
 Want to know. I'd try it, wouldn't go out of my way to seek it but I'd try it if I was somewhere where it was normal. Not trying it offered to you isn't going to bring the pup back from the dead.

colored folks
 Grandpa?

Heck, now if we could deal with the kittens and cat in a similar efficient manner. Too many strays.
 Funny story. I used to work 3rd shift at this little restaurant downtown when I was a teen. Me and the other head cook lived about a block from each other so after work we'd walk down to his place and drink beers at 6AM. Anyway, he'd save all the scraps in the back, half eaten food and what-not. You get about 2-3 blocks from his place, and cats just start coming out from under cars and porches, behind dumpsters and shit. By the time you got to his place there would LITERALLY be 30 or so cats just meowing. He'd toss all that food in his front yard and cats would go to town on it.

Kittens and cats? Have you been to a Chinese buffet lately? :p

100_1933.jpg

Cooked like General Tsos chicken cat would actually probably pretty good, haha.

Just don't tell my kitty I said that.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Pie man rocking the pin stripes.  Looks good on you.

I know of a story nearby me in the big city where a place became really popular for a summer for their ribs.  The city ahh, colored folks love their ribs and chicken bones.   Turns out the Asian operated (which should have been an odd omen of sorts) was closed after authorities discovered the marvelous meat was dog.  Me I didn't see it, but my  good neighbors stand by the story and speak to this day highly of those ribs.

Haha thanks!  Well I have eaten dog before.  From what I was told, it originated when (as part of our cultural ritual) we would sacrifice the dog to the gods, similar to how in the middle east they would sacrifice lambs or other animals.  Dog's meat itself has been eaten for a long time but as the Western culture started to seep in this practice has been fading.  Most of the time you have to go to a "Dog Specialty" restaurant (similar to how in the States there's a "sandwich shop" or an "Italian Restaurant").  Technically speaking because there's no dedicated "dog slaughterhouse" (that just sounds pretty bad) there's actually no real regulations on the quality of meat that can be served.  Therefore it's actually recommended to not consume dog meat unless you know specifically where the dog was (similar to how some Koreans absolutely hate America's beef because the cows are fed genetically modified corn and other chemical products).  

Was it delicious? Oh hell yes.  Would I have it again?  Probably not (obviously depending on the situation) because of the amount of risk involved with it.  No offense to anyone else here but there are strict regulations on where your vegetables comes from in Korea (the seller is required to state where they came from) and Chinese imported products are known to have higher concentration of lead and other chemicals to make them grow.  From what I've heard, these trades also includes dog meat from China (mostly stray dogs).  I just don't feel comfortable with that.  

So... answering the actual question instead of explaining the food-source-consciousness of the Korean public, if a restaurant has it they'll put it on the menu, but most of the time it's probably a better thing to go to a restaurant that specializes in that dish.  

I prefer the G+ hunting photo, lol. Every man should own a suit or three!
Haha that was the picture after I cleaned my first duck.  Was a ton of fun!  

Funny story. I used to work 3rd shift at this little restaurant downtown when I was a teen. Me and the other head cook lived about a block from each other so after work we'd walk down to his place and drink beers at 6AM. Anyway, he'd save all the scraps in the back, half eaten food and what-not. You get about 2-3 blocks from his place, and cats just start coming out from under cars and porches, behind dumpsters and shit. By the time you got to his place there would LITERALLY be 30 or so cats just meowing. He'd toss all that food in his front yard and cats would go to town on it.

Kittens and cats? Have you been to a Chinese buffet lately? :p

Cooked like General Tsos chicken cat would actually probably pretty good, haha.

Just don't tell my kitty I said that.
Your cat better be on your good side then!  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Chinese imported products are known to have higher concentration of lead and other chemicals to make them grow
China is known world wide for exporting garbage and poison.  My favorite was them making fake rice out of plastic.  Serious distrust with China.

I have an ongoing f-u festival with global food retailer Aldis (you know them in Europe for selling you horse meat pretending to be beef).  They just love to sell China junk and I am not referring just to their random housewares in the center of the store.  Few years ago I bought some canned pears, origin China.  Then a neighbor bought bunches of garlic,   China again.

When it comes to frankenstein foods and general food distrust, unsure who is in the lead, but the US and China are having a toxic food race.

jcaleb

Nice in suit.  I would imagine you have bodyguards in the background armed with high end guns, with shurikens and swords too.

jcaleb

Eating dog is common here, but not good for health.  No regulations whatsoever, so people may eat dog with rabbies or whatnot.

They say dogs taste better than goat.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Nice in suit.  I would imagine you have bodyguards in the background armed with high end guns, with shurikens and swords too.
Like that one scene from Rush Hour but without Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker barging in.  

The Triad will be pleased with you.  

Eating dog is common here, but not good for health.  No regulations whatsoever, so people may eat dog with rabbies or whatnot.

They say dogs taste better than goat.
See, they say dogs make you stronger here if you eat them, and are apparently known to treat certain muscle disorders (that's why people who constantly get cramps eat them).  

I don't know how "real" that is (I'm more thinking placebo effect) but it's what the locals think.  

jcaleb

Placebo.  It's like the myth that Bull's private part.  They cook it into soup, and they say it increases your romantic drive.  What if I send this to Mythbuster to try it out.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
that's what I figured.  Go for it although I don't really see any quantifiable method for them to test it in.  Unless they actually observe the brain activities.  

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Eh, dog tastes funny to me.  Now, some good строганов with horse meat hits the spot though.  Hard to pull off in Louisiana, though I've become quite fond of gatormeat >_>

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Eh, dog tastes funny to me.  Now, some good строганов with horse meat hits the spot though.  Hard to pull off in Louisiana, though I've become quite fond of gatormeat >_>
For those of us not Russian, what is that?  Also, my old roommate's girlfriend would kill me for asking this but...  What does horse meat taste like?  I've always kinda wanted to try some.

This one time I had a gator burger.  I wasn't the biggest fan. 

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Beef Stroganoff is the EN name for it.  One of those dishes you could make a hundred different ways.

Horse meat... well, actually depends on the horse.  I don't know enough about cooking it to say which breeds are better tasting, but I've had it from dry and stringy (and kinda bland) to really soft and.. almost a bitter kind of spicy.  I don't really know of any other meat that makes a decent comparison.  It is worth a try if you get the chance though.

Gator burger? o_O  That's a new one on me... it's usually done as sausage here.  Which reminds me, season opens later this month, I need to go get some tags :3

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
So...  Would you eat a Stallion?

Also, for some reason I can see you in the "Swamp People" show (The show that requires captions... for Americans speaking English).

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Potentially :p

Well, I did have an airboat until I moved back to the city.  Hah.. a recurring joke with some of my older friends down here is that the russki is more cajun than their own children >_>  I suppose I just acclimate well.

amuck-landowner