amuck-landowner

Q4 2013 Lowendtalk Top Provider Poll Results

Patrick

INIZ.COM
Verified Provider
When I saw the topic, I thought the results were out at LEB and rushed there, thinking this might be just some discussion.

@drmike Is this kind of a sweet revenge? Announcing the results of some poll happened elsewhere, before they calculated it?

Congratz to the top 10, I am having VPS with 5 of them. Personally glad to see Crissic on the top 10 list for the first time, as @SkylarM has been doing great.
Doesn't really matter, you just need to have a lot of free time on your hands and you can count it yourself :p

maounique

Actually, it involves a bit more than that. 

Admins are able to see who voted and didnt have the right, who used more accounts and things like those. It is unlikely the results will be exactly the same but similar, nevertheless.

bizzard

Actually, it involves a bit more than that. 

Admins are able to see who voted and didnt have the right, who used more accounts and things like those. It is unlikely the results will be exactly the same but similar, nevertheless.
I haven't thought about that. @mpkossen told in LET that he might delay the results. But, I don't expect much of a change. BTW, has anyone done this before? Calculating the poll results, rather than being satisfied with what the admins announce as results?

clarity

Umm what ? 

5 points in total, they can give all to one provider, but unlike here, not everyone is so bent on one pet provider only. Many split it in 5.
I don't visit LET. I have no idea how the voting works. I was just making a joke based on the information that was provided by @drmike. I am sorry that I offended you for not knowing how voting works on a forum that I do not visit. I will really try to do better next time.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I haven't thought about that. @mpkossen told in LET that he might delay the results. But, I don't expect much of a change. BTW, has anyone done this before? Calculating the poll results, rather than being satisfied with what the admins announce as results?
All the prior times were Liam, from what I recall.  There never really was any reason to doubt his word - LE* hasn't seen honesty like his since Scott.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I believe the grapes are sorrow.
I think this was pretty meaningless when it was at LET.

Why?

• No real criteria
  • Providers with more geographical coverage get more votes
  • No validation that voters are even customers
  • Only qualification to vote is having a LET account - and anyone can have an unlimited number of them.  (Don't talk to me about recording IPs - these are LET readers and everyone has a half-dozen self-run VPNs :)
  • Numbers are small enough that if someone is mad, their negative votes have an impact.  E.g., if you canceled my VPS because I was abusive, I can vote against you.  Is that really a valid vote?
  • It's LET.
Etcetera.  

Now that virtually all the quality posters have moved to vpsboard, it's even more meaningless.

No slight to some of the providers mentioned there - I don't know them all but there are some good ones.  However, there are also some good ones that aren't there.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Wait...

So on LET, if you run multiple brands your votes are combined, correct? Combined into one rating for these polls?

Then how come on LEB each sub-brand is treated individually and posted as such? LET = same brands so they're combined into one. LEB = different brands.

I'm confused.

Seems easier to just calculate the votes each brand got individually instead of merging them together. Doesn't seem fair when some folks run multiple companies that the parent one gets all the votes and is compared to someone with just one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
Wait...

So on LET, if you run multiple brands your votes are combined? Correct. Combined into one rating?

Then how come on LEB each sub-brand is treated individually and posted as such? LET = same brands so they're combined into one. LEB = different brands.

I'm confused.
Not sure, though to be fair ispirto's offers on LEB typically combine more than one brand into the same post.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
If voters are given 5 points per vote, I think that someone really needs some help with their addition skills. All of these should end in 0 or 5!
A voter now is GIVEN 5 points.  The voter = the person placing votes.

Unlike reality voting (usually) you can actually vote 5 points for 1 provider or 1 point for 5 providers or anything in between.  

So the totals are what the are and massively inflated in points.

Top 3 by POINTS:

1 RamNode 244
2 Prometeus 146
3 Iniz 74

Top 3 by actual individual votes:

1 RamNode 101
2 Prometeus 50
3 Iniz 36

The points sure make things look far better, busier, more "votes", etc. :)

Average points per vote:

Code:
RamNode   2.415841584158
Prometeus 2.92
Iniz      2.055555555556

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Not sure, though to be fair ispirto's offers on LEB typically combine more than one brand into the same post.
Yeah, not really complaining.

If anything, I think LEB should limit posting multiple offers from companies that are owned by the same person in a short time period. Whatever the rule is for someone with one company should be the rule for those with many. If it's once per 2 months, then one sub-brand per 2 months instead of 4 different offers from 4 different sub-brands in a 2 month period. (No idea what the actual rules/restrictions/guidelines are for that... just posting an example).

But on LET, since it's a provider poll each provider (I think) should be counted separately. If Provider A also owns HostB and VPSHOST-C then it's not a fair representation if HostB and VPSHost-C's votes get calculated towards Provider A's grand total. Is that is what is happening for this poll or am I lost?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Was this published any where else? I can't find any thread in LET.

Also, just noticed that Hostigation is missing in the top 10. :(
No the results haven't been published "officially" by LET.   I tabulated them here, although my Enron accountants haven't audited the numbers that Miss Fatbottoms input.  Could be a typo or two.

Hostigation --- well interestingly enough, they may make the Top 10.  But to do that you need to go and corrupt the votes as the counter.  That is to say you have to realign the cast votes for them to also include HighSpeedWeb votes too, since they own that brand.

And yeah that's what the clown posse at LET has been doing, supposedly, for some, for a while:

Liam Moderator
6:40PM

Have some patience. It is not a simple process. Each vote is vetted to see if the account or voting looks suspicious. Then some companies like Prometeus operate a few different brands, so their votes have to be amalgamated together. Spelling mistakes, voting more than once etc also contribute to the time required.

Trust me, I know how complicated and long it takes to do, as I use to run it.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Anytime I get linked to LEB, all I ever see is all of the CC sub-brands, with the occassional independant provider mixed in.  If they actually imposed some sort of limit based on ownership, you'd see weeks, if not months, roll by between new posts.

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
No the results haven't been published "officially" by LET.   I tabulated them here, although my Enron accountants haven't audited the numbers that Miss Fatbottoms input.  Could be a typo or two.

Hostigation --- well interestingly enough, they may make the Top 10.  But to do that you need to go and corrupt the votes as the counter.  That is to say you have to realign the cast votes for them to also include HighSpeedWeb votes too, since they own that brand.

And yeah that's what the clown posse at LET has been doing, supposedly, for some, for a while:
Hmm, interesting guess that means Cloudshards + Fliphost votes will combine

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
But on LET, since it's a provider poll each provider (I think) should be counted separately. If Provider A also owns HostB and VPSHOST-C then it's not a fair representation if HostB and VPSHost-C's votes get calculated towards Provider A's grand total. Is that is what is happening for this poll or am I lost?
As soon as I posted the results, like within minutes I received a PM from one of  the folks who has multiple brands running on LET/LEB noting that I need to combine all his votes/points under one company for him.

I lol'ed.  Mind you I like the provider and all, but that's shady.

If voting for your country president went down like this, those hanging chads in Florida and dead people voting would be the least of the corruption.   This is outright vote sliding and shows the CONTINUED reason that any who wants traction on LET/LEB must create multiple front companies, especially where you are not the house brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner