amuck-landowner

Technology based charities? Community powered charity auction?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Been doing some brainstorming recently, and was interested in starting a community based charity auction of sorts. Figured we could do one once a year or something and raise some money for causes that are relevant to the community and something we'd all support. There are no specifics yet, nothing is set in stone and still doing some brainstorming but curious what tech based charities exist that you support?

In short, providers could auction of servers, hardware or services and members can also donate money. Whatever is raised would be donated to whatever charity we as a community decide on. Each year we can do the same thing, in an effort to beat the previous year's amount but it doesn't need to be the same charity each year.

I don't want to rush into this and would like to organize this properly, I think it'd be a great thing for vpsBoard to do. What are your thoughts? Who do you think we should support? Any questions or concerns?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Meh, those are so darn big and blah willie....

I'd like to see something grassroots and local/regional and ideally dealing with youth.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I'd like to see something grassroots and local/regional and ideally dealing with youth.
One organization that I support is Free Geek: http://www.freegeek.org

They are local (Portland, Oregon). People donate old computers and they refurbish them, put on a Linux OS, and distribute them to the poor.

People can volunteer there and after you build 4 computers, you can keep the 5th. They train people so you can show up with zero computer knowledge and after their classes, hands-on building experience, etc. walk away as a pretty self-sufficient Linux user.

They've been around a long time. Neat group. "Helping the needy get nerdy..."

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Free Geek seems so familiar.. I just can't put my finger on it...

Mann, perhaps there is a local regional group in your town/region?  Would be local excellent and all.   Figure local is best place to start campaign.

Setsura

Maybe support They seem to need it. I also like the Electronic Frontier Foundation as well personally.

Last edited by a moderator:

hellogoodbye

No wonder Free Geek rings a bell! Did a quick search and remembered that I had come across the website for the Toronto chapter here when I was looking into Freecycling a long while ago. 

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Free Geek is nice. I've volunteered there some myself, but it's a bit of a drive from where I live. They do great things for underfunded school districts.

amuck-landowner