amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jul/17/postcapitalism-end-of-capitalism-begun

Even now many people fail to grasp the true meaning of the word “austerity”. Austerity is not eight years of spending cuts, as in the UK, or even the social catastrophe inflicted on Greece. It means driving the wages, social wages and living standards in the west down for decades until they meet those of the middle class in China and India on the way up.

Meanwhile in the absence of any alternative model, the conditions for another crisis are being assembled. Real wages have fallen or remained stagnant in Japan, the southern Eurozone, the US and UK. The shadow banking system has been reassembled, and is now bigger than it was in 2008. New rules demanding banks hold more reserves have been watered down or delayed. Meanwhile, flushed with free money, the 1% has got richer.

Neoliberalism, then, has morphed into a system programmed to inflict recurrent catastrophic failures. Worse than that, it has broken the 200-year pattern of industrial capitalism wherein an economic crisis spurs new forms of technological innovation that benefit everybody.
Solution: Low End virtual private servers for the price of a bag of chips or less and lots of them.

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
Imagine bacon & sausage making love in your mouth.

11758796_492309184256807_720265647_n.jpg

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
We all know Portland is where all the hipsters live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBt4HlcDUDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAlWrT5P2VI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHO391xTO-s

Totally unrelated though.  I wouldn't mind moving to San Francisco right about now.  
We have some ... interesting people, that's for damn sure.

The whole "dream from the 90s" or whatever they call it ... is totally true.  Shit, there's a place by my house that sells Gluten-free dog food.  Gluten. Free. Dog. Food.

Look up episode 1 with Steve Buscemi in the feminist bookstore.  I watched them film it (I pass it on my way to the office every day, plus one of my friends is a comedian and has been on the show a few times (Kristine Levine). Never got to meet Steve Buscemi but I did see him out in front of the place. He chain-smokes like a son of a bitch.  :p

Now every time I drive by people are getting pictures taken in front of it.  One time I even pulled over and offered to take a picture for a rather large group, and it turns out the photographer was a tour guide.  It got that popular.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

The whole "dream from the 90s" or whatever they call it ... is totally true.  Shit, there's a place by my house that sells Gluten-free dog food.  Gluten. Free. Dog. Food.

Look up episode 1 with Steve Buscemi in the feminist bookstore.  I watched them film it (I pass it on my way to the office every day, plus one of my friends is a comedian and has been on the show a few times (Kristine Levine). Never got to meet Steve Buscemi but I did see him out in front of the place. He chain-smokes like a son of a bitch.  :p

Now every time I drive by people are getting pictures taken in front of it.  One time I even pulled over and offered to take a picture for a rather large group, and it turns out the photographer was a tour guide.  It got that popular.
Haha yeah dude you should totally see if your friend can get you a cameo appearance on the show!  We can all be like "I KNOW THAT GUY!"  But real talk, haha, sounds like a blast man!  I'm not the biggest fan of Portlandia, but the clips I see of it are absolutely hilarious.  The scenes where the guy and the girl reverses the roles are kinda awkward for me, but in the end it all works out. 

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
I actually stopped liking it as much after about the fifth episode.  I mean, I get it, we're from Portland, some of us are kinda f*cked up, but we're very liberal.  "Keep Portland Weird"..  I get it, I get it, I get it.  :p

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I actually stopped liking it as much after about the fifth episode.  I mean, I get it, we're from Portland, some of us are kinda f*cked up, but we're very liberal.  "Keep Portland Weird"..  I get it, I get it, I get it.  :p
Haha I thought it was Keep Austin Weird ;)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Austin is the Portland of Texas.

Ask any Texan. They don't consider Austin part of their state. Haha.
Hahaha nope. Austin hasn't been part of the Republic of Texas since the 1980's.

You ask why?  Because it's a UN model city or something along those lines.   It is filled with people from elsewhere with way too many people that messed up California and then fled to Austin and are in the process of California-style screwing up Austin. Nanny state stuff.

I don't even know when the last presidential election was that Austin went Republican. Probably 1980's. Went Democrat 2012, 2008, 2004, 1996. In 2000 Bush carried largest share but just at 47%.

Austin is definitely not a hippie city.  Huge growth of like 35% of population since 2000.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

Dogs shouldn't be eating grains.  It's filler, and cheap filler at that and bound to be GMO.   I'd buy fresh locally made dog food.   The stuff we buy still isn't up to my levels and it isn't cheap and who knows how old.

Nor should dogs be eating people food.

You'll find some of these better animal feeds in finer retailers and where people truly into their pets shop.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Brace yourself: Google joins OpenStack  <--big news for the future direction of "the cloud" (and it once again raises the question for some providers who chose an alternate platform: do you really think choosing the proprietary OnApp will prove to be a good long term decision when its adoption by the enterprise is non-existent which means it will struggle to grow?)

rds100

Verified Provider
Considering how many side projects google has started and then abandoned in the past, this might not be very good news for OpenStack in the long term.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Quote said:
The team connected the brains of three monkeys to a computer that controlled an animated screen image representing a robotic arm, placing electrodes into brain areas involved in movement.

By synchronising their thoughts, the monkeys were able to move the arm to reach a target – at which point the team rewarded them with with juice.

Brainet
Then the team made things trickier: each monkey could only control the arm in one dimension, for example. But the monkeys still managed to make the arm reach the target by working together. “They synchronise their brains and they achieve the task by creating a superbrain – a structure that is the combination of three brains,” says Nicolelis. He calls the structure a “brainet”.

These monkeys were connected only to a computer, not one another, but in a second set of experiments, the team connected the brains of four rats to a computer and to each other. Each rat had two sets of electrodes implanted in regions of the brain involved in movement control – one to stimulate the brain and another to record its activity.

The team sent electrical pulses to all four rats and rewarded them when they synchronised their brain activity. After 10 training sessions, the rats were able to do this 61 per cent of the time. This synchronous brain activity can be put to work as a computer to perform tasks like information storage and pattern recognition, says Nicolelis. “We send a message to the brains, the brains incorporate that message, and we can retrieve the message later,” he says.

[...]

Bypassing language
“This is incredible,” says Andrea Stocco at the University of Washington in Seattle, who was not involved in the project. “We are sampling different neurons from different animals and putting them together to create a superorganism.”

Things could get even more interesting once we are able to connect human brains. This will probably only be possible when better non-invasive methods for monitoring and stimulating the brain have been developed.
Wow, someone better tell them not to use OpenVZ.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
I updated my ToS the other day with this: 

Quote said:
Ellipsis Node specifically denies access to Services by any individual that is covered by the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, as amended ("COPPA").
Have I now lost all business from LET? :)

amuck-landowner