amuck-landowner

vpsBoard advertisements and availability

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
IP.Nexus has an advertisement solution.
Actually we've been testing that on internal!  While it does seem to work we feel that it won't fully satisfy our requirements.  Because this is going to have an exchange of currency, we want to make sure we get the perfect solution that fits our needs.  

GIANT_CRAB

Actually we've been testing that on internal!  While it does seem to work we feel that it won't fully satisfy our requirements.  Because this is going to have an exchange of currency, we want to make sure we get the perfect solution that fits our needs.  
If I'm not wrong, IP Nexus supports currency exchange.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
If I'm not wrong, IP Nexus supports currency exchange.
That's not what we're worried about. 

Edit: Let me reword that.  Because money is involved, we want to make sure the system we put in will work with us in the long-run.  While we were previously testing advertisement systems long before we took pre-orders, we realized that time is a commodity we can't really waste.  We're narrowing it down at the moment :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
The issue with IP.Nexus is how we would be forced to rotate ads. Let me explain this:

I want to sell two ad packages. One for the top banner, one for the sidebar. But, I want the sidebar to showcase 4 ads at once. IP.Nexus can't do this. Instead, what they want us to do is sell 4 sidebar ad spots, and have each spot rotate between 4 ads. So when you buy an ad, you'd have to choose sidebar spot 1, sidebar spot 2, sidebar spot 3, or sidebar spot 4. I guess it's not a huge deal... But it's not ideal either.

In short, I can't easily rotate 4 ads between 16. Instead they want me to have 1 ad rotated between 4, done over 4 times. (if that makes sense)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I have  an ad solution.  Working on perfecting the install and all for demo'ing as soon as all is in place.

Have to do this work anyways as outstanding to-do list. :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
If I rolled CF anywhere it would be the open source interpreter, not Adobe's extortionware  :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Almost there!

Should be up and running Sunday. I'm employing a fix that will be a PITA for me, but... no good system appears to exist to do this in-house. Fun fun.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The ad solution is coming along.  MannDude can speak to particulars moreso.

Know there was template modification two nights ago that may have contributed to 100% CPU and a reboot. 

That's back to behaving and some graphics for the spots were made (mock up placeholders).

All of that work is to get the actual ad package populated with those and tested.

TLDR; getting closer :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
How's it going?
Frustratingly slow.

I buy things, people don't want to support things. Get's frustrating. Really disliking IPBoard, really not a fan of the crap I've gone through thus far just to serve these in-house.

I've got a 'sort of' solution in place right now to serve the sidebar ads, it works mostly but the index is messed up. I see the creator of the mod I am using is active, responding to posts today for his other work but has skipped my question. Frustrated. I've got to use something different for the header ad, though with only displaying one at a time that can be a much simpler solution.

Sorry for the delay. Probably made this thread too early. Didn't anticipate it taking this long.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
The ad solution is coming along.  MannDude can speak to particulars moreso.

Know there was template modification two nights ago that may have contributed to 100% CPU and a reboot. 

That's back to behaving and some graphics for the spots were made (mock up placeholders).

All of that work is to get the actual ad package populated with those and tested.

TLDR; getting closer :)
Yes.

The crash and burn of the server was to this sidebar mod I paid for. It has a built in advert capability, no stats, nothing for the end-user, just the ability to serve ads. Anyhow, it displays semi-properly on all pages. I made one change, clicked 'save'. And the server died. SSHed into it, 100% CPU utilization from PHP. Long story short, it was the damn sidebar mod.

Anyhow, I switch the ads 'on' from time to time, as only Martin and I can see them now. They're just (8) 125X125 images in rotation, 4 being displayed, that are numbered. That way I can ensure they're rotating properly and all that jazz.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I'm impressed by the speed things get done over here, keep being awesome. I have also sent you a PM.
Been slower lately as I've been a bit burnt out. Need to rekindle that fire by getting away from my PC for a bit.

Anyhow, all spots reserved now, but no system in place yet so if a spot becomes available I'll let you know. I'll add you to the waiting list. :)

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Frustratingly slow.

I buy things, people don't want to support things. Get's frustrating.

I've got a 'sort of' solution in place right now to serve the sidebar ads, it works mostly but the index is messed up. I see the creator of the mod I am using is active, responding to posts today for his other work but has skipped my question. Frustrated.
I remeber the times where I was responsible for adding stuff to a vBulletin board.

Not a nice welcome to the plugin hell.

Maybe you should just add a static img tag to your template and let an external service switch the images?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Maybe you should just add a static img tag to your template and let an external service switch the images?
Certainly lots of opportunities with this and similar software when mucking with things.

One way or another the ads are coming soon.  :)  I know there is other planning to be done and still needs to organize the billing and related.

amuck-landowner