amuck-landowner

vpsBoard advertisements.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
The amazing thing is, this isn't even necessary. I know of at least three or four people (myself definitely included) who would gladly donate to keep the site online, and I'm sure that reflects the general attitude. Heck, I'm pretty sure Aldryic has said he would host the site on BuyVM for free if you needed it! But it is great for the site to be self-sustaining, so I'm all in favor of ads, especially since the plan put forward here is very provider-neutral and beneficial to all involved.

Edit: Aldryic thanked this, so I'm assuming I am correct on BuyVM's generosity :)

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well, I've been a bug in @MannDude 's ears about getting ads going (in house - run it yourself - open source ad serving).

The reason I've been pushing him are simple:

1. The site costs money to run.

2. When things happen like DDoS or MySQL going on vacation, it requires more engineering + time + paid accounts.

3. MannDude has financed everything to date.

4. MannDude, Martin and Pie spend enough time helping the community for free.  While I expect volunteering,  they should be given something on a monthly basis where they are active and participate.

5. Donations are a swell idea, but they typically don't maintain things.  Hard getting folks to chip in monthly or once at a rate that is significant enough.

6. We've taken the angle of shunning free-vps begging on here and defined this as a provider friendly and often centered site.  

7. Several providers have stated public interest in buying ads.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So count me +1 for ads.  Unlike everywhere else I won't be blocking them.  Why?  Because they will be served in house, not some annoying, slow, spy centered 3rd party ad network.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
For a site like this there are only to options to raide money, donations or ads.

I have nothing against ads (h-ll, I even have them on my own site to pay for my VPS's). I'm only wondering what made you change your mind since you so boldly posted about never displaying ads here?

Not sure if you already thought about how this will bet setup but I'll ask anyway; Will the ads be available for a number of days or a number of views?

Epidrive

Verified Provider
- 4 sidebar ads

- Donation page

- Sticky advertisements

For the donation page maybe you can implement a feature say if person X donated at least $20, he will recieve a donator userbar or an award, or whatever. Something that would encourage us to donate..

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
For a site like this there are only to options to raide money, donations or ads.

I have nothing against ads (h-ll, I even have them on my own site to pay for my VPS's). I'm only wondering what made you change your mind since you so boldly posted about never displaying ads here?

Not sure if you already thought about how this will bet setup but I'll ask anyway; Will the ads be available for a number of days or a number of views?
1.) You can say 'hell' :)

2.) Truthfully, things are already paid for until 8/01, but this place has grown fast and requires constant watch. Soon it will have outgrown the limits of it's current setup. I'm out of work right now, living off my modest savings, I don't wish to continue to to pay for things out of pocket if I don't have to. But after long thought, and those who have spoke to me about it can confirm, I wasn't very keen on ads initially. I wanted to wait several months to see how things go and ensure that vpsBoard would continue to grow. Well, it has. Much faster than I could have imagined. When mulling it all over, I figure ads aren't too bad. There is a good percentage of active and helpful members here who represent providers. I'm hoping the ads benefit them as much as they do towards the growth of the community.

3.) Ads will probably be setup per number of days, sold on a month to month or quarterly basis. Seems to be the simplest and easiest way.

I'll buy an ad. I'd also provide services for the forum as well.

MannDude, when you get a chance, message me on Skype.
I've had many people offer to 'sponsor' the site, I'm not interested in going down that road, sorry. Nothing against you or anyone who has offered it, but that seems to be too much ;)

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
I've had many people offer to 'sponsor' the site, I'm not interested in going down that road, sorry. Nothing against you or anyone who has offered it, but that seems to be too much ;)
Not a problem. I'm still game to offer a nice VPS to be auctioned off to benefit the board if that is still in the works.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Right, and that offer will always stand if he wants to go that route;  but like the man said, he doesn't want to do sponsorships/etc, so I wasn't gonna keep bringing it up :p
It's not that I wouldn't enjoy free service, just doesn't feel right. Besides, I bug you and Fran enough as it is. I know I send him messages on Skype semi-often with stuff like, "Hey, are we getting DDoSed?" and whatnot. I don't want this place to be a burden on any provider.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I don't want this place to be a burden on any provider.
In my opinion, any "bugging" or "burdening" you do is offset by far by the service you're providing keeping this place online.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
1.) You can say 'hell' :)

2.) Truthfully, things are already paid for until 8/01, but this place has grown fast and requires constant watch. Soon it will have outgrown the limits of it's current setup. I'm out of work right now, living off my modest savings, I don't wish to continue to to pay for things out of pocket if I don't have to. But after long thought, and those who have spoke to me about it can confirm, I wasn't very keen on ads initially. I wanted to wait several months to see how things go and ensure that vpsBoard would continue to grow. Well, it has. Much faster than I could have imagined. When mulling it all over, I figure ads aren't too bad. There is a good percentage of active and helpful members here who represent providers. I'm hoping the ads benefit them as much as they do towards the growth of the community.

3.) Ads will probably be setup per number of days, sold on a month to month or quarterly basis. Seems to be the simplest and easiest way.
1. I could but I won't :). In "real" life I try to remain calm and refrain from using strong words and I'll try the same online.

2. Sad to hear that you are still looking for work and living on savings. I'm fortunate that I never have been unemployed so I can't say that I know the feeling. Hope it sorts out soon enough. I think it goes without saying that I'm also in line to give a helping hand i needed. I do not represent a provider, no sure if that's a good or bad thing. :)

3. Monthly would probably be the best and easiest option if you are not going for something as Buyandsell or the likes.

Hope it didn't sound like I was trying to pick a fight or something. I'm always curious when people change their mind about some topic and what made them change their mind.

Ads would be probably be the most "provider neutral" road to take to avoid the drama about being in someones pocket.

The hard part about looking for alternatives for buyvm (nothing against buyvm at all, it's only that LV is far away from me) is the ddosing that happens from time to time. Not many providers that offers protection can live up to expectations.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
It's not that I wouldn't enjoy free service, just doesn't feel right...
If that other site most of use to frequent was only a bit more like MannDude and most here, what happened never would have (i.e. provider covert takeover of the community).

Because of that history, it's really necessary to keep an arms length distance from the providers and be sure the monthly payments for hosting are in said hand.

I think most here agree :)

So how long before you think ad spots will be available for purchase?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Why not just give the site to CC? They can monetize it nicely for you. :p

[/joke]

[serious]

Just tell me where to send a check to. ;)

vanarp

+1 for Ads. Ads should be shown to all (members/guests and all). Please ensure that no ads are placed at top of the page and in-between the posts.

@MannDude, I think you should reconsider posting some periodic stats on traffic like total hits / direct hits / organic hits / referral hits etc. from Google Analytics.

I propose for two 250x250 format ads to appear below the 125x125 formats. This helps better revenue from those can afford and also fill the sidebar space evenly. However 125 formats should be above the fold giving them priority.

Does the current theme offer the sidebar feature with Ads widgets? I also suggest for trying a different theme so that the Ads do not look too bright from main content area. At least you can add more themes allowing the users to switch on their own.

amuck-landowner