• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
MannDude

ColoCrossing threatens to sue vpsBoard

58 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, KnownHost-Jonathan said:

Maybe I'll sue them for the spam that comes out of their network at me all the time causing great mental distress?

Definitely, they shouldn't really be threatening anyone because honestly talking I am sure there are quite a number of people with real cases that they can sue ColoCrossing...

4 people like this

4 hours ago, jarland said:

Even I logged in to offer a "lol" at Gregory.

It's a LOL on many levels: complete ignorance of ISP immunity laws, past the statute of limitations, C&D sent by employee not attorney (which makes CC look like amateur hour), pathetic attempt to intimidate a site owner into taking down a user submitted review that was unfavorable to a company, etc.

FYI, that same unhappy customer love4cars also filed a BBB complaint on  2/27/14  that echoed what he had said in his VPSB/WHT/LET posts   ( full text of the complaint details available here http://www.bbb.org/upstate-new-york/business-reviews/internet-services/velocity-servers-inc-in-buffalo-ny-235969066/complaints#breakdown  ...wonder if the BBB also received a C&D letter from Clark...LOL)

The biggest LOL though is that if CC actually followed through on their lawsuit threat and somehow won the case they would have essentially shot themselves in the head if the court decided that ISP immunity didn't apply to forums and that forums could be held liable if they didn't verify the accuracy of all user generated content before it was posted publicly on sites.  Clark must have forgotten that his employer operates a forum where it's rare for an hour to pass without someone screaming "provider abc (or customer abc) is a scammer!!!"...imagine the flood of lawsuits that would be filed against not just LET but every site that allows user generated content if these clowns won their case.

4 people like this

What little Gregory should be worried about is this:

ColoCrossing allows IP spoofing and is involved in many DDoS attacks.

This is nothing new, and not legal, but this paper is:

Stress Testing the Booters: Understanding and ... - Damon McCoy
damonmccoy.com/papers/www2016-booter.pdf

In it bona-fide academics spin up 2 instances on ColoCrossing's network for DDoS attacks.

2 people like this

Big question is --- has ColoCrossing finally closed the spoofing ability?  Not my cup of tea or interest to go donate to yacht money to prove / disprove.

If so, if spoofing is blocked, explains the sudden call to sobriety and being concerned with reputation earned over a decade of shenanigans and self funding via fraud and conspiring in criminal activity.

Edited by drmike
1 person likes this

I think they simply want attention, since Dr Mike stopped working on them a few months ago :). This was enough to get him started again haha. 

- Daniel :)

3 people like this

Looks like somebody is trying to justify being on the payroll. Kids will be kids.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, drmike said:

What little Gregory should be worried about is this:

ColoCrossing allows IP spoofing and is involved in many DDoS attacks.

This is nothing new, and not legal, but this paper is:

Stress Testing the Booters: Understanding and ... - Damon McCoy
damonmccoy.com/papers/www2016-booter.pdf

In it bona-fide academics spin up 2 instances on ColoCrossing's network for DDoS attacks.

I'm quite surprised academics got the go-ahead to use actual booters and do network attacks over the internet.

Back when I was in academia my final year paper/project/dissertation was largely on DDoS methods and detection/mitigation tactics in IaaS environments; but in order to keep in line with the universities legal and ethical policies I had to perform everything in a sandboxed/disconnected environment. 

3 people like this

I noticed that news of Gregory Clark's little C&D letter has already made it to Reddit and YCombinator (Hacker News) so here's a little term that may come in handy in the future for any company that gets the bright idea of trying to have negative customer reviews removed by attempting to intimidate site owners with poorly written C&D notices that contain bullsh*t legal threats that would get laughed out of any court : "Streisand Effect" 

5 people like this

36 minutes ago, DomainBop said:

I noticed that news of Gregory Clark's little C&D letter has already made it to Reddit and YCombinator (Hacker News) so here's a little term that may come in handy in the future for any company that gets the bright idea of trying to have negative customer reviews removed by attempting to intimidate site owners with poorly written C&D notices that contain bullsh*t legal threats that would get laughed out of any court : "Streisand Effect" 

Have links?

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, TheLinuxBug said:

LOL, you guys posted that and instant DDOS....

Some other network had BGP drop and is a commenter on this thread.. at the very same time...

We'll call this one unrelated impossible math... Next one we'll serve something special up for.  Free pie!

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Flapadar said:

I'm quite surprised academics got the go-ahead to use actual booters and do network attacks over the internet.

Yeah, that part stood out for me too. They actually say that they got legal advice and ethics approval, when I would've thought that either would've crapped their pants at the idea:

As part of the ethical framework for our study, we consulted with our institution’s general counsel and placed restrictions on the types of booter services we actively interacted with along with what we included in this paper. [...] We received an exemption from our Institutional Review Board (IRB), since our study did not include any personally identifiable information and was based on publicly leaked data and scraped data that was publicly accessible

2 people like this

1 hour ago, lbft said:

Yeah, that part stood out for me too. They actually say that they got legal advice and ethics approval, when I would've thought that either would've crapped their pants at the idea:

I use to work actively with academics.  So yes, surprised too.

However, academia is getting more liberal  about things like this because of the mass impact.   Plenty of dollars have flowed to top unis for studying DDoS attacks and next generation protection.  Very well might have had financial underwriting related to such.

2 people like this

32 minutes ago, drmike said:

I use to work actively with academics.  So yes, surprised too.

However, academia is getting more liberal  about things like this because of the mass impact.   Plenty of dollars have flowed to top unis for studying DDoS attacks and next generation protection.  Very well might have had financial underwriting related to such.

I still contract for a University, no way this would have made it through ethics here either.

2 people like this

18 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Looks like somebody is trying to justify being on the payroll. Kids will be kids.

It would be more understandable if an inexperienced kid had sent that C&D, but the sender is someone with a Master's degree in international business who has 23 years of management level experience at Fortune 500 companies.

1 person likes this

23 years of being a yes man instead of being a man.

1 person likes this

Age is not a factor. If he wants to act like a child he will be treated like a child and until he's mature enough to be considered an adult he's still a kid in my eyes.

2 people like this

I have not yet heard back from Greg.

I emailed him back 2 days ago.

RE: Fwd: Request to remove Libelous Blog String-VPS Board

I do apologize for the delay in my response. This is an email that I do not usually check and the PO box expired some time ago. I'll need to update the WhoIS information for the domain name.
You may read my response in full and respond with your concerns directly here: https://vpsboard.com/topic/9054-colocrossing-threatens-to-sue-vpsboard/

Otherwise you may add me to Skype and leave a message if I am unavailable. Biloh can give you my Skype details.

All the best,

-Curtis

EDIT: And yes, the subject of the email was literally, "Request to remove Libelous Blog String-VPS Board"

4 people like this

Bunch of wankers ignore them mate if they do I'm sure we'll all help :)

3 people like this

So many click likes i had to give. My finger is hurting. All your fault.

4 people like this

• Similar Content

• By drmike
      Let's talk about the problem with ColoCrossing engaging in fake reviews to increase the reputation of their company in search.
      URL:  https://www.google.com/search?q=colocrossing

25 Google Reviews.  4.0 out of possible 5.0 score. 

What do we find?
      A pile of shills.  A bunch of reviews that are not reviews but Biloh telling his partners, friends and employees/contractors to review favorably.

#1 = Iranian owner and long term Iran peering on CC's network.  Sindad 
      See: https://www.facebook.com/Sindad.Co/
      Morteza Soltani in the last week I have been using Colocrossing for a 5 years and can tell you that their service is the highest quality. The costumer service is very quick to answer any questions or problems you might have.  I will recommend them to anyone who is looking for a reliable colocation service. #2 = Sepehr Safadar another most likely Iranian
      Sepehr Safadar a week ago Have been working with ColoCrossing for four years and it has proven to be a reliable company with high quality and stable services and knowledgeable and skilled team which is quite rare in today's market. #3 = CJ Sculti, 18 year old hacker and IP range hijacker.  Known lately for hijacking China range containing IP 1.3.3.7, see http:/1.3.3.7 to see what this guy is about.
      Long time mass IP blocked by Spamhaus, for spam and abuse: https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/datawagon.net

Here's that 1.3.3.7 hijack IP with website on it:

CJ Sculti a week ago I've had a few racks colocated with these guys for almost a year now. They've been great! ...More
      #4 = milan pitroda, good guy, but he provides all the customer support (via outsourcing in India) for the many CC brands, including CVPS, 123Systems, BlueVM, etc.  So he's technically on CC payroll as a contractor.

milan pitroda a week ago CC have improved a lots in their infrastructure which helped to increase the speed of the server and stop spamming #5 = Good old Thomas Dale, he once worked for ColoCrossing and ChicagoVPS.  Until the UGVPS outing happened.  See: 

Thomas Dale a week ago ColoCrossing has provided numerous services to myself for personal or commercial. They have helped me with everything from single servers to full racks with fiber uplinks :). Jon B. is a 100% pleasure to work with from initial sales to ...More
      #6 Ali Hajyani, Iranian.  Visperad Networks.  See: https://www.facebook.com/A.hajyani
      Ali Hajyani a month ago #7 Luc Ayotte.  Former ChicagoVPS employee. 
      Luc Ayotte a month ago
      #8 Mike Walker.  Active ColoCrossing employee.  See: http://mattburdine.org/WhyChicagoVPSLostMyBusiness.txt
      Mike Walker a month ago This is by far the best data center facility in the Buffalo market. They are the only provider in the market that has onsite tech 24x7x365. I can call in at 3 AM and their support staff is there ready to help. They respond extremely fast to ...More #9 Danny Dahl, could this be the Danny Dahl referenced by Spamhaus, see: https://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/evidence/ROK11457/online-media-connect/main-information
      Danny Dahl a month ago Both Jon & Alex have helped me grow my business through the years tremendously. Def. recommend them to any company looking for a great reliable company that can help scale with their business. ...More
      #10 Chris Niedojadlo, we have a shrine to this guy.  Who is the 'us' he's referring to?  Would that be his companies ala Net3 or would it be Servermania?
      This guy isn't just a random customer.  Biloh hangs out with this guy in far away real life.
      See: 

Chris Niedojadlo 2 months ago ColoCrossing has been providing us with Colocation services for just over 4 years with fantastic service and uptime. We would highly recommend them to everyone needing data center services.
      #11 Jonathan Nguyen - Jonny "I LOVE SPAM" Nguyen (that is winning to you).  No need.  Everyone knows him and Biloh love spam and collaborated to provide IPs for spam use.  Search any hosting community for him or Greenvaluehost and the strings will consume the next week of your life laughing and having you spewing your beverages out of your nose in laughter.
      Jonathan Nguyen 2 months ago Have been a customer for four years. ColoCrossing is very accommodating for their customers and offer a truly premium service that can be relied upon. Management frequently makes themselves available for customers and cares about the ...More
      What did we learn?
      Of 25 reviews, 11 of them have no business ever of having been left.   11 / 25  = 44% of the reviews for ColoCrossing on Google are fraudulent. 2 are from companies in Iran on controlled do not do business with list, still, even if one pretends to be an LLC in Nevada, while leaking Iran data info in peering.  Not like other reputable companies are going to go violate US law over embargo. Many of the reviewers are involved in spam. One is from a hacker / IP hijacker ... and most importantly 4 of them are current or former ColoCrossing employee  
    • By drmike
      Today there is a mega ton of ransomware infecting going on.  Malware payloads are being pushed all over the place via ad networks and it's YUGE. 
      Ransomeware is simple, it encrypts your files and holds them hostage.  To get your data back, you pay the robbers via Bitcoin to reverse the mess.
      Article excerpt:
      The tainted ads may have exposed tens of thousands of people over the past 24 hours alone, according to a blog post published Monday by Trend Micro. The new campaign started last week when "Angler," a toolkit that sells exploits for Adobe Flash, Microsoft Silverlight, and other widely used Internet software, started pushing laced banner ads through a compromised ad network. According to a separate blog post from Trustwave's SpiderLabs group, one JSON-based file being served in the ads has more than 12,000 lines of heavily obfuscated code. When researchers deciphered the code, they discovered it enumerated a long list of security products and tools it avoided in an attempt to remain undetected. "If the code doesn't find any of these programs, it continues with the flow and appends an iframe to the body of the html that leads to Angler EK [exploit kit] landing page," SpiderLabs researchers Daniel Chechik, Simon Kenin, and Rami Kogan wrote. "Upon successful exploitation, Angler infects the poor victim with both the Bedep trojan and the TeslaCrypt ransomware–double the trouble." The ads are spreading on sites including answers.com, zerohedge.com, and infolinks.com. Legitimate mainstream sites receive the malware from domain names that are associated with compromised ad networks. The most widely seen domain name in the current campaign is brentsmedia[.]com. Whois records show it was owned by an online marketer until January 1, when the address expired. It was snapped up by its current owner on March 6, a day before the malicious ad onslaught started. source: http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/03/big-name-sites-hit-by-rash-of-malicious-ads-spreading-crypto-ransomware/
      I saw this slop coming when Spamhaus turned up efforts on TeslaCrypt.  Ongoing issue in past week.. and look the boys in Buffalo are hosting at least two TeslaCrypt payment extortion IPs. see: https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/velocity-servers.net
      Quadranet is hosting at least 5 different extortion IPs: source: https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/quadranet.com
      It is recommended, for now and probably for good that you disable Flash plugin, disable SilverLight and put all other plugins on click to play or similar.
      And... folks wonder why I've long advocated Javascript off.... do dah!
    • By drmike
      Buffalo, New Jerk, leading web hosting company VSNX known by eight other family of company names including ColoCrossing announces global domination!  We own your hosting!
      Among the acquisitions in this round:

http://realoffshore.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=1  "...  Realoffshore.net is part of the VSNX family of companies..."
      hostaar.com/terms/ "... Hostaar is part of the VSNX family of companies and that their statement will show “ColoCrossing” for the credit card charge..."
      https://www.bilalhost.com/privacy-policy/  "...  BilalHost Pakistan is part of the VSNX family of companies ..."
      cavpshost.com/tos.html "... CaVPS Host Valley Host reserves the right to change its policies at any time without prior notification. CaVPS Host is part of the VSNX family of companies..."
      see below for their live support being unsure of who they are... and then going silent...
      www.hostfair.net/terms.php "... HostFair is part of the VSNX family of companies and that their statement will show "ColoCrossing" for the credit card charge ..."
      http://kryptonichosting.net/billing/policies.php  "...  Kryptonic Hosting is part of the VSNX family of companies. ..."
      http://alldigitalword.com/about/ "... LowEndBox is part of the VSNX family..."
      http://hostmeek.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=1 "... hostmeek is part of the VSNX family of companies. Our Mailing Address: hostmeek 8195 Sheridan Drive Buffalo, NY 14221..."
    • By DomainBop
      Spamhaus blacklisted over 131K ColoCrossing IPs this weekend for repeat offenses and Ernie Quick of Hudson Valley Host and Jon Biloh of ColoCrossing are trying to use the blacklisting as an opportunity to squeeze more money from customers for a $10 mail service add-on.  TL;DR Ernie just earned himself the title of unethical piece of lowlife shit for this attempt to squeeze more money from customers for something (ColoCrossing's long history of being a spam friendly host who rnts servers to criminals and spammers) that was not their fault.
      Customers opens a ticket about their IPs being blacklisted and this is the response they get:

Note to f*cktards Ernie Quick and Jon Biloh: FTC regulations require that your advertisements accurately describe the product that you're selling which means you need to mention in your ads that the product you're selling comes with blacklisted IP addresses...  You clowns should be offering the MailChannels relay service to customers for free as compensation for your inability to keep your IP space clean.
      TL;DR for buyers: don't pay these f*ckwads $10 for something that is entirely their fault, demand a refund because the product you received wasn't as described in the advertisements.