amuck-landowner

1 gigabit per second internet connection?

Serveo

Verified Provider
Sorry, but I don't see any sense for having a 1Gbit at home for consumer usage. Help me please?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Enterprisevpssolutions

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
More and more devices in the home are using up the bandwidth 1G is normal in some areas but need to expand. Think about all the devices in the world that are getting connected to the internet. I see more and more clients getting 10G links to dedicated servers. If you build it they will come =D I am waiting on my 1G home speeds think about 5 to 10 years down the road the infrastructural needs to get build now to sustain the masses.

AMDbuilder

Verified Provider
I've the "privilege" of choosing between TWC and TWC... Rumor has it AT&T Gigapower will be entering my market soon, I just hope it's true!

elohkcalb

Interesting, I always assumed that bandwidth in Singapore was really expensive, maybe it's just the DCs (and maintaining them) which is expensive there.
Home connection is cheap, commercial connections are marginally higher, but both are usually provided on a best-effort basis with a slight difference in the contention ratio.

The real expensive ones are the bandwidth at DC, especially those with good regional peering/upstreams. Although the price has come down a lot in recent years, it is still high when compared against US/EU.

MattKC

Sadly I'm about 20 direct miles away from Google fiber, and they have no plans to extend further out this way. A co-worker is actually getting their install today after a few months delay. They don't need the speed, but it's cheaper than what Time Warner offers for KC.

I have a 100/10 plan, although 150/20 is offered here too, I just don't need that extra speed. My isp overcommitts so I test at 117/14 most of the time. Doubt they will roll out anything over the 150/20 as they just implemented 8/2 channel bonding here over the summer. Prob be 2-3 years before they go higher or to docsis3.1.

hzr

#hashtagtwerkteam
I wonder why everyone seems to only care about google's product?

There are plenty of other providers, many are independent/local ISPs that provide much better service, and already have it deployed, many for cheaper than GF offers.

amuck-landowner