amuck-landowner

25.1gb/s attack incoming flood - advice?

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
@netnub, we offer level 3 DDoS protection - that means that attacks are mitigated with hardware. It works great. I could set up for you a dedicated server in less than 24 hours - 1Gbit connection, minimum of 10TB/month and so on. Just send me a PM with the specs that you need.

Jack

@netnub, we offer level 3 DDoS protection - that means that attacks are mitigated with hardware. It works great. I could set up for you a dedicated server in less than 24 hours - 1Gbit connection, minimum of 10TB/month and so on. Just send me a PM with the specs that you need.
You're just using Securedservers though? I doubt they will filter much over a few gigs.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
You're just using Securedservers though? I doubt they will filter much over a few gigs.
@Jack, nice one, however how would you know how much they filter or why would you assume that there is a limit? I have a partnership with PhoenixNAP. SecuredServers is just one of their brands.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
0DuVdzR.png

Doesn't look like they are.

Well, you should test Voxility from their network to Cogent.

Did this from Romania to a Cogent point in Europe (non UK).   Routing was all snafued, long tailed out of the way and handed off to several providers.   That was, oh 6+ months ago.

My understanding is the Cogent issue with Voxility has been going on for quite a while.  

Know the company I was testing things for saw the Cogent issues plus slow transfer rates to the US and pulled the plug on Voxility.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
This is what we are using:

@netnub sorry I missed the part where you said you needed this in Europe, and not the US. We do not currently offer any Europe locations.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
This is what we are using:

Do your own clients and Phoenix a huge favor and get written permission to bring a flood that big past to their network.

I had a client get an 18 gig flood at awknet (confirmed it via graphs off their core router) and Justin was livid. Justin specializes in filtering, Phoenix doesn't. Sure, their arbor setup can likely tank some OK sized floods but 10Gbit/sec+ is a whole different kind of beast.

Awknet might deal with it if your pockets are that deep.

Francisco

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Can I post pretty pictures? :D Our VPS we host our websites on was loving all of the attention. :) Also, <3 CNServers for not wanting to nullroute us even after we requested they do.

hello_ddos.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Can I post pretty pictures? :D Our VPS we host our websites on was loving all of the attention. :) Also, <3 CNServers for not wanting to nullroute us even after we requested they do.

hello_ddos.png
Haha, I remember you posting that on twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

netnub

Voxility won't give us protection anymore at the advertised rate of (EUR)25/mo, instead they want me to fork over $232 alone for protection. yeah.... no.

nunim

VPS Junkie
Voxility won't give us protection anymore at the advertised rate of (EUR)25/mo, instead they want me to fork over $232 alone for protection. yeah.... no.
You said your budget is 5k/monthly?  $232 for 10 Gbps+ DDOS protection seems extremely reasonable...

netnub

You said your budget is 5k/monthly?  $232 for 10 Gbps+ DDOS protection seems extremely reasonable...
Yes, I know, but I prefer cheaper options, thats why I am asking. If it comes down to it I'll have to use them.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Sure, their arbor setup can likely tank some OK sized floods but 10Gbit/sec+ is a whole different kind of beast.
@Francisco you're right, arguing about how big of an attack we can take would be about as stupid as it gets, because despite the fact that I have seen some very impressive attacks mitigated, in excess of what you pointed out, I think that discussing precise figures on an open forum would be ill advised.

@netnub You might have missed @Francisco's hint, however this is were you need to be at: http://www.awknet.com/ - because @Francisco is right, while we provide DDoS mitigation we do not provide filtering and that might come in handy if you are being constantly attacked.

Jack

@Jack, nice one, however how would you know how much they filter or why would you assume that there is a limit? I have a partnership with PhoenixNAP. SecuredServers is just one of their brands.
Because it's Phoenix, I'm pretty sure bandwidth there is pretty expensive?

What I don't understand is that the people like Blacklotus,CNServers,Awknet are all on the WEST Coast? Where bandwidth is quite expensive like I was quoted close to $25/TB there for Seattle and LA however if you move over to somewhere like NY you can get bandwidth from providers that do renting at like $5/TB?

Why are all the filtering providers on the west coast when it actually seems the east coast is much much cheaper to get bandwidth?

Same goes for 'DDoS Mitigation providers' Limestonenetworks will take 2-3G before a null is applied, Securedservers on the other hand not 100% sure on the limits but I'd guess a max of 10G? 

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
@marcm pm please? I'm interested in what you said.
@netnub no need, just go to http://www.awknet.com/ and place your order ;-) Get you a pretty reasonably priced box with filtering from them.

@Jack yep, they charge for it's weight in gold now ;-)

Securedservers on the other hand not 100% sure on the limits but I'd guess a max of 10G?
@Jack again, another yep, at an exactly 10.0Gbit/s attack they null route the IP. Not a nanobyte more. In fact they are so proficient now that they hired a leprechaun to teleport from node to node with a pair of cutting pliers and cut off the the connection if and when a DDoS hits at exactly 10.0Gbit/s and not a nanobyte more. Why bother with null routing when this is so much more efficient? :p

shovenose

Verified Provider

What I don't understand is that the people like Blacklotus,CNServers,Awknet are all on the WEST Coast? Where bandwidth is quite expensive like I was quoted close to $25/TB there for Seattle and LA however if you move over to somewhere like NY you can get bandwidth from providers that do renting at like $5/TB?

Why are all the filtering providers on the west coast when it actually seems the east coast is much much cheaper to get bandwidth?

Same goes for 'DDoS Mitigation providers' Limestonenetworks will take 2-3G before a null is applied, Securedservers on the other hand not 100% sure on the limits but I'd guess a max of 10G? 
That is an interesting point that (while this thread has nothing to do with me) doesn't make a lot of sense. Opening and running a datacenter here on the West coast is much, much more expensive than doing it in like Kansas City... If somebody could explain that this would be really awesome and helpful to not only me but others as well.

That said, even 10G is a helluva big attack. Back when we got attacked a DIgitalOcean the attack was not that many G's but they still nullrouted the server :( 

amuck-landowner