amuck-landowner

2GB OVZ VS 1.5GB KVM in NYC

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Hi,

We're currently in a debate as to what to offer, we've had previous experience with OpenVZ for many years now so it isn't an issue but ideally we're looking to see what people would between KVM/OpenVZ

Currently in in a decision between offering some space in NYC, New york @ 111 8th ave but the tricky choice is - what Virtualization should we go with.

Heres a rough guide between the 2 plans:

OVZ:

-  3 Cores

-  30GB SSD-Cached HDD

-  2GB RAM (GUARANTEED!)
-  600GB Bandwidth @ 100Mbps 

Or we have:

KVM:

- 3 Cores

- 30GB SSD-Cached

- 1.5GB RAM

- 600GB Bandwidth @ 100Mbps

Both marked at $6.95 a month 

These nodes have more than enough RAM to allow us to not oversell it at all for our OVZ offerings, though KVM provides the support for Windows and such.

What would you like to see?

Decisions Decisions Decisions ^_^

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnlth93

Since the spec are more or less the same, I would go for KVM in this case.

I would like the ability to enable certain kernel module myself.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Since the spec are more or less the same, I would go for KVM in this case.

I would like the ability to enable certain kernel module myself.
They sure are!

Only reason being is that the 2GB OVZ isn't oversold compared to the other 2GB + Offers you see everywhere :p

We're liking the more of a dedicated approach to things.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
If this is at TelX Datacenter in NYC Holy crap.  I already have a VPS there and I love it.  One of my favorite bandwidth blends.  

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
OpenVZ is over saturated. We considered offering OpenVZ and decided to stick to Xen and KVM. However given your specs and target price you will have to oversell RAM on KVM and that will hit the SWAP really fast. However that's not by far your biggest problem. Your nodes will be a magnet for abusers, and combined with the fact that you will need to have those nodes packed with customers just to make your money back and a little bit of profit, the outcome won't be to your liking at all. Keep in mind that customers who are serious about their business and realistic their hosting needs and budgets will spend more if you can give them peace of mind and reliability. If you still decide to go for it and it blows back remember that no one forced you to do this. Always pick quality over quantity - this goes both ways - from customer to provider and provider to customer. Look at Linode for example: there is a reason that they've been around for 10 years and can afford to upgrade their hardware every so often. Just my two cents of course.

Kind regards,

Marc

amuck-landowner