amuck-landowner

504 Issues Here

clarity

Is anyone else getting 504's here? I seem to be getting them a lot lately. Did something change on the site? I am guessing that it is just getting more traffic these days.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Looks like it was timing out earlier: https://nodeping.com/reports/checks/xw82domk-dzs4-4ur1-8tq0-eawellyd9yq3

Sometimes php5-fpm decides to run wild... I'll look more into it tonight, on how to prevent it from suddenly eating all the CPU up. May serve php over Apache too, as was suggested in another thread, though unsure of what all this would entail. I've set up a LNMP stack on a dev server with Apache processing PHP requests, but haven't done this on anything production nor have tested differences between the two yet. 

Of course, also open to other suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

clarity

For me, it was just something that I have noticed in the past day or two. In some ways, it is a good problem to have. It means the site is growing, and I think that we all want that to continue to happen. I am sure you will get it ironed out.

Leyton

Verified Provider
I've been seeing them every now and then.

With regard to keeping the process somewhat in line, I remember @KuJoe posted a script a while back intended to run on a regular CRON: 

Don't know how much help that would be if you're locking up from CPU usage, but it might tame things a little until you find a fix, or choose another solution.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Optimized some settings, hopefully everything runs a little bit better now.

In case you're wondering what I did, read this: http://nls.io/optimize-nginx-and-php-fpm-max_children/

More or less the same instructions that /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/www.conf would tell you in the comments. 

EDIT: I typed this last night and forgot to hit submit before I fell asleep. -_-

Xenfinity

Verified Provider
There were more HTTP 504 errors earlier.

For those who don't know about the other topic that @MannDude is talking about, it's  We should continue our discussion in that more descriptive thread.

Nick

tonyg

There were more HTTP 504 errors earlier.

For those who don't know about the other topic that @MannDude is talking about, it's  We should continue our discussion in that more descriptive thread.

Nick

I don't know if it was a 504, I just know that I could not bring up the site at all.

amuck-landowner