amuck-landowner

98 Cent .me domain

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Namecheap is running some sort of "personal domain" promotion that gives you a .me domain and one free e-mail for $.98 for the year. But you can't just go to the home page, pick .me, and enter the domain you want. No, you have to go here and enter your first and last name and pick from the domains they generate from those. The first thing it tries, though, is firstnamelastname.me, so if your name just happens to be Rand Omdomain, you can get randomdomain.me. For the free e-mail, though, you can only get the address firstname@[YourDomainBasedOnFirstnameLastname].me for free. Anything else costs $3/year.

Anyway, there you go. $.98 cent domain. .me doesn't even have the $.18 ICANN fee, so it's just a flat 98 cents. Kinda funny, if you pay with PayPal, I estimate Namecheap only gets 66 cents. And that doesn't even count the cost at the registry and of keeping the e-mail servers online. Ah well, their loss.

Interesting, though, right before the promotion went up they were having trouble registering .me domains, which continued at first during the promotion. Seems to be fixed now, but it's still weird to me that they'd run this while they were having trouble with the registry.

Last edited by a moderator:

wdq

Quade
I picked up two of the domains. If you don't want YourName.me just put split the domain name into the two spots and you can register it. Too bad they don't allow renewals or transfers with this promo.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I picked up two of the domains. If you don't want YourName.me just put split the domain name into the two spots and you can register it. Too bad they don't allow renewals or transfers with this promo.
A lot of these promotions are new domains only. Often even new customers only, but at least existing customers can get this one. Good to know it's possible to get two.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Oh wow, I never saw before how expensive renewals are. I guess I've always been looking at new registrations. Those people in Montenegro really want to pull you in with cheap prices then slam you with high renewal charges.

Ivan

Verified Provider
Thanks for this, I got one.

I'm too sleepy, and all the good, short domains I want are already taken. Registered a lame short domain, will think of something useful tomorrow.

Ivan

Verified Provider
Got two domains! :) Renewal price is a bit pricey though but yeah.

amuck-landowner