amuck-landowner

Advice for a new host...

DudeThatsErin

Hello,

NOTE: My site may still be down, I was moving servers but intodns.com seems to show it is up & I can see it. I just wanted to state this before I go into anything. ALSO, I am not trying to advertise my site. I am simply asking for advice. THANK YOU!

http://southhost.net

Is my website. I have a few questions being a new hosting provider...

1) Do you believe my plans are reasonable? No, I will not remove my free plans until I have quite a few clients.

2) What do you think of me redirecting people to my forum to register and pay for the plan?

I am planning to be moving IP.Nexus (http://invisionpower.com) from my forum to my hosting site with IPS4 as long as they give us that option. If they don't, I will make other arrangements. I'd just rather not pay $15/mo for WHMCS when I have a fully licensed (legally I might add) IP.Nexus that can process payments and pay for hosting just fine.

BUT I am also thinking about just using xenforo but only if I can sell my IPB license.

3) What do you think about my layout in general? I feel like since it is from themeforest.com it is overused. Someone showed me 2 hosting sites that use it and I'm sure there are more. I purchased another theme from there (that had little comments but it seems like it would be for a company whom is bigger than I am right now)

NOTE: there is supposed to be a rotation in that big area with the background (if you don't see it) but it doesn't like to show. Lol I'm working with the designer on that... or at least waiting for a response regarding it.

4) Do you think it would be an issue if I do not include an address on my website? Do you think it is any less professional?

I don't have a business address yet but I was thinking about buying a PO Box.. but until I do I wouldn't have one.

5) I'm using reseller hosting right now. When I do go purchase VPS hosting, what would you recommend I purchase? I'm seeing that people tend to like Xen and I plan to have cPanel... but I don't know linux commands though I learn fast so managing my own server shouldn't be a problem. I'm just not wanting to spend $100/mo when I first get the server (if I don't have to) so, I'm not 100% sure.

I may be able to work something out with my host where he gives me some hosting for free because I'm actually on his support staff... (http://drivehosting.org/) BUT I want to make sure it would be a good deal for a starter host.

6) Would you choose my hosting if you saw it coming from google?

Why or why not? DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS please. I would rather not have to ask you for more details.

7) Got any other advice?

To give you some background on me... I've been hosting since I started with websites. I love it! I love helping people learn how to code (hence my forum) and that is what I am going to school for. :) I am only 21 years old so I am getting started at this pretty young. I am currently the only person working on my hosting site but I know a lot about everything and have owned managed VPS and dedicated servers before.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Your arrogance speaks volumes. If you ask for help, take your hat off. Don't come laying down the law telling people what you will and will not do.

Also, "I know a lot about everything" is a very, very dangerous thing to say round these parts especially when a few lines before you throw in this baby:

"but I don't know linux commands though I learn fast so managing my own server shouldn't be a problem."

Not sure how you run a hosting business when you have no clue about cli.

Welcome, anyway. You'll learn quickly no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

DudeThatsErin

Your arrogance speaks volumes. If you ask for help, take your hat off. Don't come laying down the law telling people what you will and will not do.

Also, "I know a lot about everything" is a very, very dangerous thing to say round these parts :)

Welcome, anyway. You'll learn quickly no doubt.
Arrogance? I'm not arrogant and I don't appreciate being called that.

1) If I was arrogant 99% chance I would not have posted this because "My site is the best!"

2) I never said "I know a lot about everything".

3) Idk where I said what I would do and what I would not do.

Before you go calling people names, actually get to know them first. Asshole.

mojeda

Your website is in "maintenance" mode so I'm not sure how we are supposed to comment on your plans as well as layout.

IP.Nexus does not have an automation module for solusvm or the likes, as far as I know, which means everything will be manual.

If you cannot afford the upfront cost of a real vps node, or don't know how to CLI, you are in the wrong business.

Last edited by a moderator:

DudeThatsErin

Your website is in "maintenance" mode so I'm not sure how we are supposed to comment on your plans as well as layout.

IP.Nexus does not have an automation module for solusvm or the likes, as far as I know, which means everything will be manual.

If you cannot afford the upfront cost of a real vps node, or know how to CLI, you are in the wrong business.
Fixed.

I've done everything Manually either way. So, i'm good with that.

CLL what is that?

Idk why you say that. I know a lot about helping people as far as the hosting goes. I'll learn CLL or whatever in time.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I am helping. I'm helping you realise you don't posses even the most basic of skill sets to contemplate doing this.

Also, your current employer should be quite embarrassed a member of 'staff' is openly admitting to all of this in public.

DudeThatsErin

I am helping. I'm helping you realise you don't posses even the most basic of skill sets to contemplate doing this.

Also, your current employer should be quite embarrassed a member of 'staff' is openly admitting to all of this in public.
He knows less than me when it comes to coding. It is very sad actually.

What skills would those be?

Just because I don't know as much as you do doesn't mean I can't manage my own VPS and such.

I know more than you think but you aren't giving me a chance to explain myself.

You are judging a book by its cover.

DudeThatsErin

How do you install apache on debian or other deb based systems?
There are enough tutorials online for me to learn within a matter of an hour. I know how to use SSH and have installed Zamfoo before. Pretty easy. I know basic linux commands so building on that is easy.

If you didn't know it had an acronym then how can you know what that is???
Because I know what the command line interface is. it is where you put the commands to write files or change permissions or install products like Zamfoo.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I don't even know where to go with this now. A genuine, straight up GoogleHost.

DudeThatsErin

How can you manage a VM if you have no idea what the CLI is? And you want to run a hosting company?!

Seriously, mtwiscool knows more than you seem to and that is not a good thing...!
I know what CLI is now, you didn't tell me it was an acronym for something and what that freaking acronym was.

You know what. If you guys are just going to make fun of me/bring me down/tell me I am an idiot instead of doing what this forum says and bring me up and give me FUCKING ADVICE. Delete my account and this post and all of my other posts. I don't need to be apart of a community like this. Fucking assholes.

Mun

Never Forget
There are enough tutorials online for me to learn within a matter of an hour. I know how to use SSH and have installed Zamfoo before. Pretty easy. I know basic linux commands so building on that is easy.

Because I know what the command line interface is. it is where you put the commands to write files or change permissions or install products like Zamfoo.

How do you update a server then so you can patch it in case of a exploit?

amuck-landowner