amuck-landowner

Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Well...

1. The guy was speeding (causing a high-speed chase) and rammed a few cars endangering those other people's lives.

2. The City settled to prevent a larger payout (probably from losing).  The lawyer will receive $100,000 for expenses and $359,000 in fees.  

Sounds like smart decision making on the side of the city (granted it wasn't smart of those officers to use excessive force, but when situations like this happen you're in damage control mode) 

Note, my opinion is based on the view of the city.  

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Either way, criminals are getting paid for being criminals. At least the dangerous criminal didn't even get enough to fix his car (not like he'll be driving anywhere in 20 years anyways).

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
Funny, I get hit by a truck on my motorcycle, I get the run around. This guy runs someone over, hits a bus and cop cars and he gets $1000? WTF...

perennate

Verified Provider
Funny, I get hit by a truck on my motorcycle, I get the run around. This guy runs someone over, hits a bus and cop cars and he gets $1000? WTF...
"Warren is now serving a 20-year sentence for striking the Hoover officer."

yeah ok? go to jail for 20 years and tell me it'd be worth $1000

Edit: hell, it doesn't even say he wasn't fined in his sentence as well

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
How about you now Duke?
Are you asking me how I am now? Right now, I'm fine. Still cannot walk but working on that starting next week when I hopefully start Physical Therapy...

"Warren is now serving a 20-year sentence for striking the Hoover officer."

yeah ok? go to jail for 20 years and tell me it'd be worth $1000

Edit: hell, it doesn't even say he wasn't fined in his sentence as well
That isn't what I was referring to. What I was referring to was the fact that he did something WRONG and still got money for it. When I was riding my motorcycle on my way to work when I was following the law, got hit and almost lost my leg. The guy that hit me, jobless bum who lives with his mom and she pays for everything for him. Me? I have my own house, 3 kids and a wife. Guess what I'm getting? Nothing from him or the insurance. Guess why? Because the cop didn't take my statement and made his assumption based on where I came to a stop at off of the road in the ditch, which was beyond the end of the passing zone. So I have to fight all of this now and I don't even know if it's worth it especially due to the $175,000 worth of hospital bills, medicine and everything else. So yea, I'd be happy with $1000 cause atleast it'll help me out for a month with my regular bills that I need to pay to live.

Sorry for the rant, just thought in order to squash any other questions I'd handle it all at once.

perennate

Verified Provider
He didn't get money for what he did; he got put in jail and possibly fined for that. He got some of that punishment back as $1000 because the police used excessive force.

Watch this video and maybe it will make more sense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqH5KrKaw7Q

Yes, he ran into a police officer, but he's serving most of his 20 years for that. That doesn't give the police the right to punch him like that.

I'm not saying what he did was right, but it does seem that what the police did was wrong; and everyone who violated the law here have now been punished (him for being an idiot and harming multiple people / damaging cars, and police department for excessive force).

Obviously your situation sucks, but since you're posting in this topic I'm responding to your argument that the judicial system shouldn't have awarded him $1,000 for the police using excessive force; so not sure what you mean by "that isn't what I was referring to". The fact is he was on the ground and clearly unable to move, yet they beat him up. Rationally, if the judicial system protects barbers from police when they get raided at gunpoint simply for inspection license checking (yes, that happened), then it should rule in favor of this guy in excessive force case as well.

amuck-landowner