amuck-landowner

All in one solution

Supicioso

Hostbill works great and has the features, just not the management that is required to succeed.  :ph34r: Proxmox is great and stable, solusvm has its plus as well as onapp but let me ask a question would you rather have HA that works correctly and the ability to run both KVM and openvz on one system. Proxmox 3.0 has the cloning and template features added now and works great haven't had issues yet. Not to mention quick install, multi-master node, stable and open source, great community support as well as paid support if required. Security is the main thing I will always request in a CMS first then everything else follows.
I can't agree with you more. I was using solusvm for a while, then I found out about proxmox 3.0 shortly after it released. It left me wondering why in the world was I paying for this product when the other one is both better and open source.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Out of curiosity.. how are you folks determining what's "more secure"?  Number of exploits?  Because then you have to factor in obscurity and how well used the alternative actually is.  Sure, it's easy to claim that product B with one exploit in 3 years is more secure than product A, with 4 exploits per year, when product B is only used by 500 people as compared to product A's tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of users.

I'm not going to sit and claim that one is more secure than the other (the fact that we're doing our own should be proof enough of our opinions regarding all of them) - but don't just assume that product B is automatically more secure just because it hasn't been in the crosshairs for awhile.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Well SolusVM had a massive hack that wiped out "multiple" companies 1000's of vps and was patched silently without solus knowing anything about it.
Yar, but that's not what I'm positing... I've seen some of Solus' source (actual source, not some de-ioncubed/etc).. and it's horrible.  Beyond horrible.  Ditto with WHMCS - the source I've seen there is less than pleasant.  So and and so forth with other panels and CMSes.  ESPECIALLY the ioncube'd ones.

The point is - don't be so eager to claim that something is more secure than something else;  it simply may not have received the same attention yet.  Just because something hasn't been exploited yet, doesn't mean that it can't be.

People that don't have experience with actually writing secure code, or securing existing engines, don't really need to be commenting on what is and isn't secure anyways - it begs the question of what exactly qualifies them to make the judgement in the first place.  (And before someone makes a smartass remark - saying 'Solus has vulns' is not the same as saying 'X is more secure than Y because... I think it is').

SeriesN

Verified Provider
And I was jokingly putting that solus issue into perspective of many who sings the same song cause everyone is signing it.

fapvps

Verified Provider
I can't belive that no one considers using Cloudmin as a VPS conrol panel. Before starting up fapvps I have tested every commercial and free offering avaliable and really wanted to use SolusVM but decided that I would rather use Cloudmin. I have used Webmin for over a decade and Virtualmin also. Cloudmin is not shiny and pretty but it has every function a customer needs out of a control panel as well as well the best admin functions I have seen. It is not an out of the box solution and requires some configuration, but nothing major. I highly reccomend trying it.

Supicioso

Everyone has vulnerabilities. Any programmer knows, once your code gets quite large. It's more then difficult to fully test every single nook and cranny, and even if you think you did. You probably missed something. There will always be holes in some form or fashion. Pointing them out and condemning someone for it isn't really a nice way to play. It's like blaming a blind man for stepping on a baby kitten. He's blind, someone should have spoke up, how else would he have known otherwise?

Unless they're someone like the owners of hostbill. That cms seems to be ran by a complete idiot.

$99 for a pre-sale ticket? What on earth is wrong with him?

fixidixi

Jared:

testing is pretty damn easy thing to do so. just give time and $ to the testers. < thats not happening. jerks think like this: "just get this over with, hire an outsider team who has no idea about our product and 'test' it in notime. thisway they can push the blame and say "stuff was tested" while real

amuck-landowner